Test 1 2 3

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
Where would someone send a a PFM to test for metal content? I have a dentist who is wanting to get some work from other labs tested to see if he is getting the alloy he is ordering. Anyone out there know who I can send him to?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Most alloy companies do, I know Argen has done it for me in the past.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Do it yourself. For etching bridges...

Drop acid on it....turns Green, it's base.

Turn's Brown or Black, it Noble. (at least the 76% Palladium 2% Gold that I use.)

Otherwise that sample would be so tiny to test? Is that really possible?

Sometimes I just throw a button into the porc oven to see the oxide color. I instantly know what I'm looking at. Any metal-tech should be able to sandblast and bake in oven and check out the oxide and get a good idea what the alloy is.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I would bet the Doctor wants to know the difference between high noble versus noble PFM. Very tough without assaying the metal composition. Heck, just take a round bur to base metal, that stuff is hard as a rock.

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
I would bet the Doctor wants to know the difference between high noble versus noble PFM. Very tough without assaying the metal composition. Heck, just take a round bur to base metal, that stuff is hard as a rock.

yea, The base is easy to figure out with grinding, BUT he wants something official, like an actual scientific test. He is getting the identalloy stickers...but the prices of the crowns don't really add up. HN for $80...flat fee.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Not that its scientific, you can feel the weight in your hand if its NP, N, or HN alloys, in ceramic alloys..... At least I can in most cases, if I can hold several finished/glazed or just metal frames only.....
Remember, specific of gravity/density........ Np has no weight, HN is much heavier than N.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Where would someone send a a PFM to test for metal content? I have a dentist who is wanting to get some work from other labs tested to see if he is getting the alloy he is ordering. Anyone out there know who I can send him to?

I had all my materials tested and certified by NSL, the same lab who tested the Chinese crowns for Lead content.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_Pb_test.jpg

The testing isn't cheap, but depending on what the purpose of the test is, it might be worth every penny. With all of the material substitution and counterfeiting going on, I'd love to see somebody take a ride up the flag pole for fraud. Here is my contact information:

Joan Corniuk
Technical Sales Representative
NSL Analytical Services
[email protected]
800-497-6752 toll free

This was the pricing from a couple years ago when I had all my materials tested, so you might want to confirm they haven't changed:

SEMI-OUALITATIVE SCANS (OUALSCANS)

29 General Metals:
Ag, Al, As, B, Be, Bi, C Nb, Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, Fe, Ge, In, Mg, Mn, Mo, Ni, Pb, Sb, Si, Sn, Sr, Ti, V, W, Zn & Zr
Scan cost of $225.00 per scan, if elements are quantified then additional $15.50 per element quantified
Not to Exceed $350.00 per scan

29 General Metals + Alkalies:
Ba, K, Li, Na
Scan cost added to the above scan $250.00 per scan, if elements quantified then additional $15.50 per element quantified or Not to Exceed $350.00 per scan
68 Element Oual Scan
Al, As B Be, Bi, C Cd, Co, Cr, Cs, Cu, Fe, Ge, In, K, L Mg, Mit, Ni, Pb, Rb, Se, N
Ag, Sr, TI, V, U, Z B, Ga, Mo, Nb, P, Re, Si, T Ti, W, Zr, Au, Ir, Pd, Pt, Rh, Ru, Sn, Te,
H Sb, Ce, Dy, Er, Eu, Gd, Ho, U, Lu, Nd, Page Ranking, Sm, S Tb, Tb, Tm, Y, Yb, Os
Scan cost of $375.00 per scan , if elements quantified then additional $15.50 per element quantified
Or Not To Exceed $495.00 per scan

NOTE: Detection limits may vary with element and matrix

RareEarth Scan:
Includes Ce, Dy, Er, Eu, Gd, Ho, La, Lu, Nd, Page Ranking, Sc, Sm, Th, Tm, Y, Yb
Scan cost of $250.00, if elements quantified then additional $15.50 per element quantified

Anion Scan:
F, Cl, Br, I, N03, N02, 504, P04
Cost for scan is $250.00 if anions quantified then additional $15.50 per anion quantified or final cost to be determined.
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_Pb_test.jpg

Last edited:
Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Uh oh, I better stop using plumbing solder in with my alloys. Just kidding don't go calling the FDA. It is unbelievable that he can get an $80 HN crown. Where are they coming from? USA made or overseas? It would be great if your Dentist was willing to get those crowns tested.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Uh oh, I better stop using plumbing solder in with my alloys. Just kidding don't go calling the FDA. It is unbelievable that he can get an $80 HN crown. Where are they coming from? USA made or overseas? It would be great if your Dentist was willing to get those crowns tested.

Yeah going to have to quit throwing coins in the full cast metal.

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
I made a mistake...it is a $90 HN and $80 N. no extra metal charged, no identalloy sticker....always a flat fee unless there is something like a metal occlusion. but still...WTF?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I made a mistake...it is a $90 HN and $80 N. no extra metal charged, no identalloy sticker....always a flat fee unless there is something like a metal occlusion. but still...WTF?

That seems suspiciously low, I assume there is also no country of origin sticker so it must be made in the USA right? I do know of a lab here in So Cal, that actually takes a loss of PFM's, and hope to make the money back on all the other premium products like zirconia, but from what a technician who applied here told me, they do 90% PFM's.

He told me they scan their die and send the files off for zirconia so he has no idea what kind of material is being used.

When something doesn't smell right, there is almost always a good reason.

Top Bottom