SUM3d Questions?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, you have to have the strategy coordinate with the curves. If you make a curve, it needs a name.

An operation must be assigned that name of curve to mill within. Curves mean nothing unless you set-up the delimitaions in an operation to use them.

Just use Pencil milling operation with the 0.3

If a crown needs it....it will be done automatically. No need to paint anything, or draw curves.

If crown occlusal is smooth (coping) no milling with 0.3mm is done. Fast! Easy! Automatic.

I can show you in a few seconds using teamviewer sometime?

You, as a human cannot find the areas that still need to be milled better/faster than a computer. Just let the software do it.

M

michaeln

Reaction score
Hello,

I agree Cadfan.

I do not want to machine, for example a bridge with anatomical and veneered parts, the whole bridge with a extra small tool.

In many cases it is sufficient if only the occlusal surface of a single crown of this bridge is processed.

I do the following procedure quite a long time:

I draw a curve around the surface and rename it to "-DM-0k".
If you have more than one object in your project, you have to adjust the corresponding object number of the curve name (e.g. -DM-1k -DM-2k ...)

In the Machining I set the boundary to this curve, then the automaticity of SUM3D accepts this curve for processing now.

Normally, the -DM-xk curve is used for the insertion axis for milling models, but this solution works for me a long time.

I'm sure Cadfan can use this procedure for his purpose of "interdental finishing".

I have already discussed the necessity for a more flexible application of self-made surfaces and curves enough with CIMsystem.
I think, CIMsystem do not see this necessity unfortunately.

P.S.:
I forgot to introduce myself as this is my first post in this forum:
My name is Michael, i come from Germany and i'm a dental technician.
I use SUM3D intensively for over 3 years. I think that's one of the best CAM-platforms on the market, but there is still much potential ;-)

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Michael! I too use SUM for many many years. Just use Pencil milling! DONE

No need to think about it. The little tool will NOT waste any time on surface that does not need it.

This is the smart software working automatically. You guys are going about this the wrong way.

Have you ever tried the Pencil milling feature before? Works perfectly for this situation.

Another way is to use the Type-select feature with, or without the pencil-milling.

Your system of drawing curves is a waste of time and not using the software correctly.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hi primus what means pencil milling is it restmaterial or am i wrong.

M

michaeln

Reaction score
Hi primus!

Now I have to ask more precisely:
What do you mean exactly by "Pencil milling feature"?

I do such machining via rest material seeking (last tool diameter).

The Typeselect <TS> feature does not work on mixed objects (e.g. bridge with copings and anatomical parts).

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

3Shape exports this data along with the stl CAD file in a seperate file. I forgot the name of this file from 3shape, but SUM3d will find and use this info if the file is in the same location as the CAD file you are importing. It happens automatically behind the sceens. You just need to have both files in same location.

exocad has the construction info as the name of file, and 3shape has another name. SUM3d can use both.

Yup, I'm totally aware of the existence of the construction info file...my question was what to do when there is no such file in exported...3sh@pe does that automatically with the implant abutments/crowns etc. but that's only when is used with a Ti insert. .. I'm trying to cut costs by eliminating the Ti part for my long-term PMMA temps...was able to fool the CAD to make them, but at the cost of that stupid construction info file...:( Was hoping that somehow I still could cut it with sum3D... oh well, will figure out something. ..

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Capt._Zero,

The Construction File is not really needed. (Has another name from 3shape, not Construction Info)

We cut abutments and bars all the time without any Construction Info.

It helps, but is not needed. For you to get One from 3shape, You can start off using Glidwell scan-marker and their library....(unlock that library).....now you have your extra file.....but I think you need more help with the strategy in either case. Or maybe we can work together to unlock the DDG library for 3shape users. (I think I can do this, but never tried because I do not own 3shape)

Michael, Pencil Milling is AWESOME! You will LOVE it. So smart! http://www.cimsystem.com/areafile/manuali/SUM3D/English/SUM3D_MANUAL_ENG.PDF

On Monday, I will be glad to make you an operation to add into a strategy for this.

There is Z Level Profile, Drilling, Pencil Milling, Zig-Zag, Spiral, 3D Pocketing, Flat Surface Machining, Machine between Two curve, Curve Machining (To cut name into part),etc......

For Pencil, Leave recognition set to "0" (Automatic),no extra passes, If in doubt about a variable/parameter to enter in a field, then leave it set to "0".

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/advanced-cam-functions.11888/

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Gen. Primus, sir...

We'll get in touch next week and work out something... will disect that DDG lib for ya for a good drilling strategy in exchange ;)

Have a great weekend !

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Pencil milling is in german rest material ( residual material )???? i use this but its not what i want . If i use this on a four unit bridge limited by dmo off 45 the space between the two crowns is done well but between the crown, bridge member and crown the bur is although milling minimum 50 % thats not needed and if i try to mill only between the two crowns its not possible.I give you another example just for for fun and brain if you mill ti base zi abutments you can mill it with pencil strategie so maybe o.6 is going there if i do it my way i have no Haas i can create a offset maybe 20 my only in the area of the rotation secure so more options .Third one i tried on full crown occlusion surface a steger great its just a sharp triangel this bur goes although to places it not needed for example on cusps make just small holes why the resolution off the surface is not as well just a silliy rough stl i will limit this fast and clear .Nice weekend

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
No it is not residual material.

Do you have team viewer??

Let's play now if you can??

Send me your numbers and psswd in Conversation (Private Message)

M

michaeln

Reaction score
primus,

now I know what you mean:

"pencil milling" is termed "bitangential" machining in the german translated version of SUM3D.

I use this for finishing anatomical parts, as it gives outstanding clean fissures.

May be translated something stupid :confused:

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Yes its " bitangential" i tried it works but now i am looking for good standard resolution in all these possibilities one for occlusal surface and for the approximate area

Attachments

• Pencil milling.jpg
    Pencil milling.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Pencil aprox.jpg
    Pencil aprox.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 65
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
OK, then yes....Bitang in Euro/German version. Sorry, I didn't know Germany had no Pencils. Maybe only Pens. LOL

M

michaeln

Reaction score
we have pencils too. but they don't look as good as yours in USA on white surfaces ;-)

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe Germans make less mistakes and only use Pens?

We need Pencils in the US of course. LOL Always need the eraser to correct.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
It works even if German brushes listen to funny like bi tangential i thought i was at math

Special thanks to Scotty from *** he beamed me up with warp 10 to mill surprise and fun :):):):)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Ask Luigi about my great wish to include a strategy, funktion for areas on the surface maybe between to crowns or on the occlusal surface to limit this area fast and individual by curves with control points or painter working with the automatic for silly technicans.

Thanks to Luigi my greatest wish comes true Sum 2014 for president. Local area fast special strategie

Attachments

• Sum 2014 my wish comes true.jpg
    Sum 2014 my wish comes true.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom