SUM3d Questions?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Luigi, from CIM System, is here with me for a few more hours....any questions you guys might have?

Jason, I have all info needed for the Roland tool-life now.

Add "TOOLSTABLE" in your codes for customization in your Machine parameters in the SUM program. (THREE Prepositional phrases in a row!)

Maybe you will figure out the rest, if not...ask away!

There are many many new changes for SUM3d to come in the future! Exciting stuff.

Really cool features for milling abutments and bars! Swapping out an interface for another made in IGES or another stl, working with Glidwell encrypted library files to add the interface mesh for implant stuff...all sorts of things.

64-bit improvements and faster calc times on the horizon as well.

Scott

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Tell him Marc from Unicraft in Burbank, California says hello. If he doesn't remember, remind him we ate El Pollo Loco. :)

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
He said, "Hi" and is right over my shoulder......

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Could you ask him how to use differnt strategies in one job without the need to overload two separate jobs...like milling a bridge and a screw retained crown in one session...

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, but the answer is kinda complicated....

Are you familar with the "type-select" feature for an operation of a strategy? (Only applies that individual operation to an imported part of a certian type. ie. Abutment, or Full-contour, or coping, etc....) If a file is not of that "type" then that operation does not get applied to that part. Just skips over that.

Have you seen/used a "Mono-strategy" that can mill any and all with only One strategy?

I personally do not go this route, but it is there if you want to use it.

I cannot type out all that is needed to guide you into making your own mono-strategy and using the type-select feature. It would be a redicious post, and maybe some people should not be reading it and attempting to emulate on their own. ?? Could really cause chaos.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I got different strategies for pretty much everything (types),all dialed in for my liking...cannot complain. Just dunno how to have more than one active at once :( My distributor has no clue either...might have to switch to someone else ?
Another thing, how can I define an arbitrary hole(s) through an object if there is no construction info file... if I punch a hole on a crown in Rhino per say ?

Thanks !!! :)

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
You have to combine all your individual strategy into just One Big-azz strategy. (dubbed the "Mono-strategy")

Some operations get ignored, and others may apply based on the type of file imported.

It is a little tricky to explain and do. I'd be glad to help you do it.

804-285-0777 on Monday.....anytime....Brad or Scott.

I show you on our PC with teamviewer, then if interested we can make something on your PC for you to play with.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
What would be involved in getting some type of certification to be individual tech support etc.?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
- There are only a handful of people on the planet who know the software fully, as it applies to Dental. Probably under Twenty people?

- A new employee of CIM System has just been added in the US. He is a former employee of the Whip Mix CAD/CAM division, Michael Webb. (Great guy!)
He will try to help with tech support for North America now. He is a computer guy, and not from Dental background.
Michael still lives in Louisville KY right around the corner from you. His employer is now CIMSystem.
He is on a plane now leaving Richmond and headed back to KY.

- Other than quitting your job to go work for CIM System......Just Money and time to learn. Took me $$ and years of playing to learn so far. I really don't know of another way to do it. I had to get to a place in my life where I could disappear from work for a few months, buy some extra mills just to play with, then I needed some money for tools and materials, extra PCs, etc..., then I sit down for months and play....(while loosing crazy money and my sanity every second!)

- I paid for Luigi and Gianmarco to fly here now Four or Five times? I forget. Usually these visits are for up to a full week at a time!
We played with Lava, KaVo, Haas and many other mills to work out the post-processors and fine-tuning. We work on developing Bar strategy and general theory of milling various materials. Just bouncing ideas and trying things. I am almost caught up to them on learning the software, but they keep adding crap about as fast as I can learn/use it. Now with Michael Webb here in the states, maybe the extra training you are looking for will be cheaper and easier than what I went through? Michael does not own a mill, so you will have to donate yours to play with, or buy another to beat on while playing around and experimenting.

- There is 50% of the program that is hidden. You'd never find it unless someone told you how to. LOL All sorts of Alt+CTRL+crazy numbers and stuff.
Also, the full manual does not exist. At least, not that I know of.
Why is this??? Why is there no awesome manual you may ask??
Well, it could crate all sorts of problems and unnecessary questions and wasted time for all the end users.
DelCAM is similar, but even more expensive and closed-down.

You need to mill, mill, mill to see many failures and experiment with angles, options, feeds and increments and stuff. It takes forever, it seems, to build up some sort of knowledge and experience with the machines, materials, and software.

- The past many months I have been on an extended deep-search for more tools in different geometries for screw canals, screw seating surfaces, and Implant interfaces. I am now loving a new weird Seven-fluted, Flat-end mill for some certain abutment interface finishing that I stumbled on recently from a US manufacture. Variable helix, variable angles, made for aero-space milling of exotic/Ti alloys. Look unlike most other tools you have seen. It cuts a corner so damn clean and sharp. I feel great about the final surface finish and tolerance now. Just started using it for production today, as well as a few really loooong tools for a big screw-retained monsters with long screw-holes. We had to determine the flex of each tool in a few scenerios, then adjust, then re-check, then adjust, then finally into production pieces. Anyways, it is fun to learn and progress. More fun than just making money. Makes me wonder what else am I missing out there?? The whole world of tools is ridiculous! Goes on, and on, and on endlessly it seems when trying to go shopping.

Last edited:
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I got different strategies for pretty much everything (types),all dialed in for my liking...cannot complain. Just dunno how to have more than one active at once :( My distributor has no clue either...might have to switch to someone else ?
Another thing, how can I define an arbitrary hole(s) through an object if there is no construction info file... if I punch a hole on a crown in Rhino per say ?

Thanks !!! :)

Import the file as a glue-to or hybrid abutment. The software will try to look for a hole and add a raw curve inside the hole on long axis of the cylinder.
What do you want to do special with the hole area?? Just finish it like any other unit. Spiral down inside.

Otherwise, I dunno know what you mean by "define and arbitrary hole".

OK, there is a hole.....right? Is it not milling correctly for you? What is the problem you are trying to correct?

I will go to another PC and take screen shot.....

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score

Have you seen an import screen with all these options yet??

pssst. Alt+Enter then 909 = secret abutment import option, but it would be impossible for any of you to use without further instructions. We just learn today. Also learned how too unlock Gl1dewelll Implant library for 3shape. WOOT! I feel special. LOL

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

pssst. Alt+Enter then 909 = secret abutment import option, but it would be impossible for any of you to use without further instructions. We just learn today. Also learned how too unlock Gl1dewelll Implant library for 3shape. WOOT! I feel special. LOL

Yup, got the very same import dialogue. .. still it seems that doesn't really matter if I mix different types...strategy wise...:confused:

So...you can handle encrypted DCM's...kudos to y'all ;) Figgered out myself also a while ago... can you unlock DME's as well ? ( I can...):D:D:D

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
No, what we are doing is adding the implant interface mesh to gl1dwell library's exported implant files for abutments and bridges. (Normally exported from 3shape with no interface. It is added only once at Gl1dwell.)

The info is not included in the DCMs or DMEs. Different trick is needed. Maybe you have a trick to this yourself??

For your strategy question, what exactly are you trying to correct? Some wasted time milling something 2x, or maybe something not milling correctly for your glue-to abutments?

When you pick different import selections (Crown, Bridge, etc),it gives a new name to that file, and many of the curves associated with that file. It is a name, and names of curves that will match certain operations of any given strategy, or not. You define the types of imported files that an operations gets applied to with a special code in that operation. ROUGHNG<TS1,2,7,8>....This command tell the software to apply this operation to only 1,2,7,and 8 file types. Maybe you have a different Roughing for other file types? The possibilities are endless for mix and match applications of various operation in a single strategy to get applied or not to any number of different things.

TS1 = Coping
TS2 = Anotomic Crown
TS3 = Bridge.....etc.....

Last edited:
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
See the commands for <TS12,4,1,2,3,4etc>? They get ignored if the file is not of those types.

The operation that has <REPLACE> will chop-off the existing interface and replace with another of my design and also import that specific strategy just for that interface. We can now mill 20 different interface with same "mono-strategy", in same project, with twenty different "personalized" strategy, using our own proven interface library. Cool, eh?

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Jeez...got lots to learn still... Haven't spent too much time with CAM... pretty much de-boned and tweaked my CAD (tri-sh@p3) already... I can make one piece screw retained stuff... couldn't figured it out yet how to export a construction info XML along, to tell the CAM where to drill... Guess will look into the CAM next to see what makes it tick...

2a4poon.png

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Tell him Marc from Unicraft in Burbank, California says hello. If he doesn't remember, remind him we ate El Pollo Loco. :)

LOL Rico! I worked for him for a a year and three months. You working there now?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

Yes about a few months ago I stopped by my old work and chatted with Luigi and got to see 2013 Sum 3D in action.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Ask Luigi about my great wish to include a strategy, funktion for areas on the surface maybe between to crowns or on the occlusal surface to limit this area fast and individual by curves with control points or painter working with the automatic for silly technicans.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Pencil Milling does this automatic.

Software finds areas that need further milling by defining a minimum radius.

You can also draw a curve just a fast as painting. Laso, or Circle to make new boundary to mill within.

There are enough tools to do what you want.
Jeez...got lots to learn still... Haven't spent too much time with CAM... pretty much de-boned and tweaked my CAD (tri-sh@p3) already... I can make one piece screw retained stuff... couldn't figured it out yet how to export a construction info XML along, to tell the CAM where to drill... Guess will look into the CAM next to see what makes it tick...

3Shape exports this data along with the stl CAD file in a seperate file. I forgot the name of this file from 3shape, but SUM3d will find and use this info if the file is in the same location as the CAD file you are importing. It happens automatically behind the sceens. You just need to have both files in same location.

exocad has the construction info as the name of file, and 3shape has another name. SUM3d can use both.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
I want to limit the area by my own and if you make it with a curve the automatic kicks it out during the calculation because these curves are not part of the automatic calculation if i am right informed ( we tried with sum germany ). so if i create a curve between to crown s maybe for 0.3 mm tool its not part of the automatic calculation if you press the button left of the simulation to calculate!!! its shown if you open the submenu at that point where calculating,simulation and all the others being but if you go on kinematic simulation its being kicked off because the curve is not part of that.

Top Bottom