Sum3D milling strategies

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
I have a problem please if you can help me.I have a Roland DWX50 with SUM3D Cam software.First time when i milled some bridges from wax in the end of milling(when i wanted to cut out the frameworks the burr broke it.I had to wait 5 days for the new burrs.Today i recived them and i started to mill PMMA,but the problem is the same in the end of the mill the burr broke.What is the problem,how can i fix it?Unfortunatelly i don't have much experince about CAM software.So please share with me your experince.Thank you

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Make sure you have the updated milling strategies for the Roland.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
I have a problem please if you can help me.I have a Roland DWX50 with SUM3D Cam software.First time when i milled some bridges from wax in the end of milling(when i wanted to cut out the frameworks the burr broke it.I had to wait 5 days for the new burrs.Today i recived them and i started to mill PMMA,but the problem is the same in the end of the mill the burr broke.What is the problem,how can i fix it?Unfortunatelly i don't have much experince about CAM software.So please share with me your experince.Thank you

As Nicely suggested you should get the correct SUM3D milling strategies for each material that you want to cut on the DWX-50. The feeds and speeds for wax, Zr and PMMA are different. Next, try milling in wax. Then go to Zr and then PMMA. Plastic (PMMA) is more difficult to mill because it is the hardest of the 3 materials and it can easily overheat and get sticky.

When you are ready for PMMA (after you are successful with wax and Zr) make sure your have the air flow adjusted correctly for PMMA. The recommended air flow settings are on page 4 of the operation guide that came with your DWX-50. You will see that the PMMA setting is higher to help remove chips and keep the cutting area cool.

-Glenn

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
1mm or .8 is all you need.

.3 is not good. It is bad idea.

I am running .6 and no difference between that and .8 but a difference between .6 and 1mm. But .3 is useless, we have .15 sitting in the drawer, LOL.

zr02 make a great set of burs! diamond coated. i used the burs that Sagemax sold the Roland with and were only good for about 25-30 units!! since I've switched im getting about 10x that! plus Michael at zr02 is giving us a great deal and the cost is equal to what I was paying before.

Wow 25-30 units that like one puck! I have been pulling 100-130 units with the roland burs and the burs we get from Tilladium on the DWX-50, non diamond coated. But on our Imes 340, diamond coated burs changed out 2.5 months ago, sitting on 760 cuts and still cutting smooth. Diamond coated is the way to go for sure.

Sevan

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

Have you tried to contact Luigi @ cimsystem? All our strategies are flawless, ZR, WAX and PMMA. But if it cuts the units good the before you calculated the strategy just press and hold the Ctrl button the the keyboard and click on Remove Connector and Trim Connector, make sure only those two are selected then press delete, this will get rid of those parts, then calculate the strategy. This should hold you over until you fix your issue. You can cut the connectors faster by hand and you cut your mill time as well.

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!!I'm emailing with Gianmarco....Glenn thanks for your advice.The wax is good, and my pmma is good too(just tight.....i changed the ammoint cement in my dental designer CAD software and still tight...can you give me advice?

If i choose not to cut the holder everyting is working fine. How can i update my milling strategies?

Thanks

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If i choose not to cut the holder everyting is working fine. How can i update my milling strategies?

Thanks

Okay, so once you delete the parts out of the strategy go to the top where it says machine.

1. right click
2. select export job archive
3. navigatge to the folder. ie dwx-50>Zirconia>Crown//bridge>find the strategy
4. rename the strategy and just add _no_trim
5. save

Now when you go to select the strategy you will see the original one and your no_trim one, select it and double check all you setting within the strategy.

Sevan

Top Bottom