Sum3D milling strategies

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
New to sum3D and about to start experimenting with Zr. Using a 2mm,1mm, .6 and .3. Where could I get some good starting feed rates? Using a Roland DWX-50. The strategy that was with it has the 2mm at 25,000rpm with a XY 2400 and Z 2100 feed rate? Waaaay too fast.

Thanks,
Jason

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Jason, are you cutting Zr? If so, what brand and is it HS or HT? Also, are you using the Roland tools or a different brand?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Glenn, using metoxit HT. using origin burs. Looking for a good starting point.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Your Z feed on Roland cannot go above 1200mm/minute or so...limited by the machine of course.

Just set the X-Y AND Z at 1200 and let'er rip!

For Full material removal, cut this down to 800 maybe? Saves tool life.

Z-step of .5-.6mm or so....RPM at 30,000 IMO. This is what the Germans recommend at least (Actually 35k rpm)

You can find good suggestions in the emuge dental brochure. (google and download)

Add Z-engagement angle of 6-10 degrees in tool set-up....like a duck landing into the water! MUCH softer "hit" to the tool on first contact!

Try ISI tools, or Emuge? Emuge really know milling inside and out! They are experts in high-end machining.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
There is nothing on your design with a 150um radius (.3mm tool) on the occlusal.

Send me file, I'll prove it to ya! Waste of time to do this. No Dental Software makes this tight of a curve on the exterior of modeled surface. I tried to explain this to Tyler, but I don't think he believed me.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The reach of the 0.3 tool also does not allow very much access to interior of the crown. I hope you have the correct tool shape defined in SUM3d.

You probably will see a little milling inside, but all surface cannot be reached.

IMO the .3mm tool should never be used in your mill. But that's just me?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Scott! I use the .3 on occlusion only. .6 internally. I have recently been in contact with isi so I will get some more info from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
1mm or .8 is all you need.

.3 is not good. It is bad idea.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
zr02 make a great set of burs! diamond coated. i used the burs that Sagemax sold the Roland with and were only good for about 25-30 units!! since I've switched im getting about 10x that! plus Michael at zr02 is giving us a great deal and the cost is equal to what I was paying before.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Shane, I'm getting mine or $39.00 and they are rated for 1000 minutes. Yours better?

M

macminn

Reaction score
Who is Zr02? Contact info please...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Jason, Did you scroll down to the complete suggested milling parameters? Go down half way, and then some more in the brochure.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jason, Did you scroll down to the complete suggested milling parameters? Go down half way, and then some more in the brochure.

Yep, looked under bull nosed zirkon oxide;)

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Shane, I'm getting mine or $39.00 and they are rated for 1000 minutes. Yours better?

The way mine is set up it's taking about 22 min for a full contour zr, and about 15 for a zr coping. So if my math is correct 1000/22=45. I think I'd rather know how many units I can mill with a bur insteed of how long they last. How do you keep track of the min on a bur? I just keep a tally of the units I mill. zr02 says you can get 700 units on a set of burs, but I've never even come close!! Chipping starts around 200, but my previous testings were flawed because I was told that I only had to put on 2 connectors. After seeing chipping after like 80 units I started to look on here for solutions and came across a thread where someone said they put 4 connectors. So after my last bur change I made sure I kept track of every zr and right now I'm up to 127 units with no chipping. If I used your method that would be 127x22=2794 min. I'm sure you've told me where you've got your burs from but I can't remember, can you tell me again. Thanks.

Also whats your mill time since we seem to be using the same set up, 3Shape, Sum3D, and Roland.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Getting mine from B&D right now. I figured mine like this:
2mm 2:35
1mm 8:00
.6mm 2:10
.3mm 2:10

That was before I realized my feed rates were crazy high on the 2mm. Ill give you updated times afterwards. I don't retire a set of burs together. Certain sizes mill quite a bit more per unit than others. Those figures I gave are the time the bur actually starts to mill. Not total time taken. Mine are at 25 minutes or so total machine time. I'm about to drop my .3 and go with a .6 only for occlusion and internals and see how the times are.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Who is Zr02? Contact info please...

Someone who buys tools and resells them for profit. Probably comes from Emuge. Just skip the reseller and go right to the source.

ISI tools are good for the coin. I very much like them.

M

macminn

Reaction score
Does Emuge have the diamond coated tools? What is everyone's experience with these type?

I talked with Steve at Emuge, they don't have 4mm shanks?

Last edited:
Top Bottom