Milling tool replacement timing

M

mowbraydental

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a Roland dwx 52D user and using all sorts of 3rd party milling tools.
How do you guys determine the timing to change the milling tools? Would you change all of them at once? I know you may need to change tools once they start to chip the margin. But which tool is responsible for the margin? 2mm, 1mm or 0.6mm? which tool is responsible for rough surface texture? Also which one wears out first? If we know which one to be changed exactly depending on the result, it would reduce the waste..
I don't think Vpanel tool life indication is very reliable. Is it?
Any input would be appreciated.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
depends on the milling strategy. if you don't have access to strategies in your CAM, you need a better product. if after milling your surface is still rough, you need better strategies.

MrMolar

MrMolar

Reaction score
I replace when I notice chipped margins. 1.0mm is generally the one cutting margins and usually the one to wear fastest. 2.0mm does the bulk material removal/general shaping. 1.0mm does the fine contouring of the buccal lingual and IP areas. 0.6mm fine tunes any anatomy you have in the occlusal surface and also engraves if you do that.

I replace the tools as v-panel shows. first reason being if I wait until the margins chip, then I'm wasting material. which sometimes can be as costly as just replacing the bur when vpanel tells me to. I only replace the ones that are wore out.

FWIW, I've replaced 2 of the 1.0mm to 1 of the 2.0mm.

A

AKP

Reaction score
Highly recommend on using original tools. Went through the whole thing of using 3rd party tools. All companies couldn't give me "time" of tool, but units. Not that easy to calculate. Plus, even then, tools were wearing off much quicker. For example, if company told us 20 units, we were able to use tool on 10.
As someone mentioned, if you can't adjust your templets for tools you are getting (and they do wary, bough original and new and actually saw difference),once again, I recommend original. On the other hand, if you decide to stay with 3rd party, you can make adjustment of life time of each tool on V-panel. Which means, if for right now, your 2mm tool shows 6 hours, but you have noticed you replace every 4, you can adjust that on Vpanel and then you can start following the new time.

Top Bottom