Straumann Scanner- feel ripped off what to do

S

smile4me

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum and new to the dental lab industry , my husband has owned a dental lab for close to 5 years now and I just started to take over managing and accounting the last 3 months. In March of last year he purchased the Straumann Etkon he signed a lease with US Bancorp for $52,320.00 (scanner plus licensing fees etc) well in Dec 2010 the scanner broke and had to be replaced so they sent us a new scanner CS2 with a new serial number and the invoice for the new scanner was $22,800.00 because they dropped the price so much to stay competitive in the market. They have now dropped the price of the scanner to $18,800.00. I called US Bancorp to ask for the pay off this morning because I was thinking to just pay it off and found out the pay off is over $40,000.00. Then I told the manager at US Bancorp well since we got a new scanner with a new serial number shouldn't we have signed a new lease or something? isn't that usually the way it works when you trade in a leased car or whatever? she said they weren't even informed by Straumann of the swapping of equipment let alone the significant price decrease and told me to fax her over the invoice from Straumann to show the trade. The sales rep we purchased the scanner from is no longer with the company and the regional manager was only able to offer us 10% discount on any products supplies and custom abutments etc. Has anyone else out there have gone through the same thing we are going through? if so how did you handle it and what was the outcome? Any advice would be greatly appreciated I am so angry about this we hardly ever use this scanner. :mad:

doug

doug

Reaction score
Who was your rep and who is your rep now?

S

smile4me

Reaction score
Doug will PM you I don't want to throw the reps under the bus they are actually really great people I just don't like the way their management handled this whole situation. We get some really great referrals from the Straumann reps here but not enough to justify a $900 a month lease payment for the next 4 years! when I can buy a brand new one cash for $18,800.00.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have de-encyrption software for that scanner, and would LOVE to see a designed Implant or bar. Maybe we could make it pay for itself a little better?? My son and I had a big jump today in learning while playing with machines. We have taken it to the next level. Almost German!! LOL (Today we joked about how anal Germans are at measuring things.)

We are almost ready to accept Implant files for Zirconia, Titanium, and Bars. My son dropped out of high-school, and started to learn this crap with his Dad. LOL

Last edited:
S

smile4me

Reaction score
Babe anything for you ! we are already sending you all my wax jobs! my German MDT is sitting here laughing at your post hehe yeah she's really good she makes all my milled stuff that comes out of the MCXL fit like a glove :p

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You did get ripped off. If they sold you the scanner for 40k and then lowered the price directly after to 18k then that's a little shady and if they cared about the customer they should do some sort of pro rating of the difference. Can you return it? Maybe there's something in the lease agreement that will let you get out of it?

S

smile4me

Reaction score
I was going through my lease agreement last night and there is so much fine print mumbo jumbo on there kinda hard to understand . I'm hoping that we might be able to get out of it as the lease agreement is specifically for the Etkon and when they swapped it they swapped it for the CS2 it is super frustrating to know that if I wanted to pay it off which I really want to do the payoff is double the cost of the machine today. I might have to hire an attorney to handle this situation because there's too much money involved here and not only that when we were sold the equipment we were promised a $500 a month rebate for the first 2 years on any parts such as abutments etc and so my husband started ordering all the custom abutments , copings etc then to find out months later that the $500 can only be used towards non precious copings so we got stuck with another $9,000 bill for all the parts etc on the stuff my husband thought he was using on his "rebate". The rep that sold us the equipment left shortly after we bought the system . Hmmmm makes me wonder why she left. Just seems kinda shady to me and my poor husband is so busy with all the lab work etc that he never took care of the finances he just paid as he went along and now we are discovering all of this! kinda crazy to me!

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
i know this sounds harsh, but you signed a lease with 3rd party ( US bankcorp)
they dont care if it sits in the coner like a paper weight, we had similar situation with Dentarium Titanium casting system about 8 years back to the tune of 70K and noble with forte scanner another 40 K
it is sitting in the basement of the lab if anyone is intrested

Greg Amendola MDT

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'll trade you my Piccolo for your Forte.Just think of the extra room you'd have.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Biomet will give you free software to load for the Forte. You can then send abutments to them as well as certain copings.

A

ALPHA

Reaction score
Babe anything for you ! we are already sending you all my wax jobs! my German MDT is sitting here laughing at your post hehe yeah she's really good she makes all my milled stuff that comes out of the MCXL fit like a glove :p

How many MC XL you guys have?? and how many Mills before you switch out the Burs??

Thanks

Al.

Al.

Reaction score

Hey, I want to get called Babe too.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Pepsi really hurts when it travels though one's nasal passage...

P

paulg100

Reaction score
makes my blood boil how these companies are carrying on with all this cad/cam stuff.

The amount of money many of us have lost on some of this junk, its a wonder were still in business.

as already said, the lease comany most likely wont be interested, all they care about is getting there money, dosent matter who its from. Im in the same position my self now with the craplab system i bought.

Id get legal advise.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Imagine buying a system and finding out an updated version will be out 2 weeks after you receive it....Now that would suck...right?

S

smile4me

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and suggestion guys!
update : spoke to a manager at US Bancorp's Equipment Lease Division this morning she had actually called me to get more information and she said she has never seen this happen before where a company has gone in and swapped out equipment without getting it approved by them first. She said leased equipment can not be exchanged, swapped or upgraded without approval from US Bancorp first since they are the legal owners of the property. She also mentioned swapping of equipment is no problem and they do approve them all the time but it would have to be for the same piece of equipment for the same price or higher and not less. She will be getting back to me after they speak with Straumann and upper management. Keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
good luck. let us know how you get on.

Maybe its worth me contacting our lease company afterall.
(Bit of a different situation, the system dosent perform to spec and was miss sold to us, but you never know)

Last edited: