Scanner hard ware design

K

khan

Reaction score
If you were to design a hardware for a scanner,, how would you design it so that it gives best convenience for your use?

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Copy 3 shape design, not exactly of course change the label or something, if you made a cheap scanner wow!!!, and now for the software, ???, a tall mountain to climb methinks.:confused:

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Lots of ideas and nothing like 3shape or most current designs.

C

ChuckStapleton

Reaction score
Something assembly line oriented. Load in an articulated model and it comes out the other side scanned. But make it so I can constantly keep loading models while the next one is scanned.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Forgive the awful drawing but I imagine something kind of like this...... But with someone intelligent designing it lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346338807.867541.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346338807.867541.jpg

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
that looks like scotts nobil metal scanner.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
that looks like scotts nobil metal scanner.

I thought the cameras were horizontally parallel and I didn't think the base would pivot?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Haha yeah sorry. I didn't look closely enough at the squiggly lines.
i like the design. can i send that to the patent office?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Handheld like the one on the left, but wireless and in a shock absorbing rubber case.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG_20120830_00413.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG_20120830_00413.jpg

K

khan

Reaction score
scanners from 3shape, orgin, dental wing, etc. they all have similar looks with covers to open up and down. dont you think that this is unncessary? wouldn't it be much more convenient if the scanner has more open sapce?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
scanners from 3shape, orgin, dental wing, etc. they all have similar looks with covers to open up and down. dont you think that this is unncessary? wouldn't it be much more convenient if the scanner has more open sapce?

Exactly!;) red laser would be negatively effected by ambient lighting though?? White light would be ok.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
Exactly!;) red laser would be negatively effected by ambient lighting though?? White light would be ok.

The ambient lighting on red laser systems can be taken care of using band pass filters so no real technical challenge. They don't do this because then you could operate open and this violates CDRH Regulations.

The main reason reason they are closed is due to FDA CDRH regulations. The lasers used in these systems are too high powered to be used without covers according to the CDRH specification. See CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 if interested.

White light systems have no regulation on the light source.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
The ambient lighting on red laser systems can be taken care of using band pass filters so no real technical challenge. They don't do this because then you could operate open and this violates CDRH Regulations.

The main reason reason they are closed is due to FDA CDRH regulations. The lasers used in these systems are too high powered to be used without covers according to the CDRH specification. See CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 if interested.

Ahhhhh! Thanks for the information! I've been reading up on red laser and white light tech used in other fields. Measuring large detailed areas etc. seems like a wash? They prefer red laser where mobility is needed but like some of the finer details captured with white light. So, i asked about the finer details and the response was" well, you really cant tell"?Still seem to use both? Price is a non issue in a lot of these situations and once again, both technologies are used. What do you think?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm asking due to recent information regarding my system. I was informed a few weeks ago that I could not do implant retained bar cases with my system. I was told the scan bodies were not accurate enough for this? It didn't quite make sense to me. Scan body positions seemed pretty much dead on visually. Is there something I do not realize about it?

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score

The NobelProcera scanner uses a red laser and it doesn't have a door or a cover

It can do implant retained bar cases.

acorporate.nobelbiocare.com_Images_en_NB_000218E_tcm269_29537.jpg
acorporate.nobelbiocare.com_Images_en_NB_000218E_tcm269_29537.jpg

Last edited:
S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
The Nobel Procera scanner uses a technology called Conoscopic Holography. This technique does not image the laser on the surface with a camera but instead looks at the interference of light rays.(like holography)
When you look at the interference you don't need a lot of laser power so they are are able to have a very low output laser power that falls under the CDRH regulations. Thus no covers.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
The Nobel Procera scanner uses a technology called Conoscopic Holography. This technique does not image the laser on the surface with a camera but instead looks at the interference of light rays.(like holography)
When you look at the interference you don't need a lot of laser power so they are are able to have a very low output laser power that falls under the CDRH regulations. Thus no covers.

Awesome!

awww.platonicpillowtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_04_The_mor4b961f6730ada96b0f347399d3929e25.png
awww.platonicpillowtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_04_The_mor4b961f6730ada96b0f347399d3929e25.png

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
NicelyMKV - What scanner do you have?

This is difficult to break down. In implant bar cases you have a very limited error budget. The error budget will consist of (machining, CAM, CAD, STL, Scanner, Scan bodies, gypsum model, impression, doctor,...) with good machines and practices the error budget allowed for scan bodies and the scanner is around 10-15um in X/Y and about 10um in Z. When you remove the scanner from the budget the scan bodies need to be accurate to under 5um's. If your making your own scan bodies it is hard to obtain this type of accuracy.

Even with accurate scan bodies the methods and workflows used today by most scanner manufactures will not allow them to obtain these type of accuracies.

Both Laser and white light systems can do bar cases if the system(mechanics) and workflows were designed to do it. The problem you have is most systems on the market today were not designed from the start to do bar cases. White light systems have a better chance to upgrade their systems to do bar cases in the future but accurate scan bodies will play a critical role.

Last edited: