Scanner hard ware design

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have an Origin(Medit) white light scanner.

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
I would add to what Scanner Man has stated. One important aspect to have good overall accuracy is to have a very close integration of the scanner, CAD and CAM. Secondly, for scan adapters, the scan fitting within the CAD or withinn the scanner software is very important. Scan fitting is a feature which merges two kind of data for use in inspection, alignment etc. For implants the actual CAD (measured design) geometry of Scan bodies is aligned with the scanned Scanbodies, and collects information about the implant positions. These positions are converted into Workplanes (x,y,z planes)
It is always recommended that these locations be directly transfered to the CAM along with the CAD design. Creating STLs at every stage adds to the error, since STLs are created at a specific tolerance, usually 10 microns.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We call that registration or alignment of meshs (triangles). (or better... raw data point cloud, before the triangulation algorithms gets applied)

Never heard of the term, "scan fitting".

Most all software does this now.

Pretty much all of them. Geomagics was the best, I guess....but this is 2012!

It is expected to be apart of any decent CAD. Right?

Passing them off to CAM needs improvement?

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
Scan fitting means fitting of the scan data with something. Yes all CAD does but the scan fitting (your terms Registration) depends on the fitting algorithms within the CAD or Scanner software and hence varies from one CAD to the other.
For CAM, Noble has been doing this for years now. Improvements in what?