Refractory Die Systems

74NK

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've recently been looking into methods of creating refractory dies and I was just curious what system everyone is using. Currently I've been making Gellar model refractory dies which at this point is way too time consuming with too high a margin for error for my taste. Any recommendations?

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
I have a smokin technique that's accurate. Call me @ lab for a phone coaching session. Have some note paper ready. 604-777-1337 . James

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've used the "Uni-pin" system for years. Don't do too many refractory veneers anymore.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I used to duplicate a sold model incorporating the adjacent teeth and preps in one go, it works ok but fitting the veneers down to the die can be a pain especially if the prep wraps round the contacts, multi veneer cases were also a difficult when it came to sectioning prior to glaze, also the mass of refractory can lead to underfiring and bubbles.

These days I use a simple model tray from Tricodent (not sure if these are available in the US, I'm sure you can find an equivalent though) I saw out the die and then trim the margins prior to duplicating just the die, 9 times out of ten the refractory seats back in tray with no problems. Building up is easy, as is trimming and contact adjustment, best of all if I have a case with crowns and veneers together I can build up in one go. It's very effective and simple.

I also use the Giroform system which has a duplicating flask and special heat proof pins, this works ok but the pins are quite fragile and it can be more of a faff.

senthildtech

senthildtech

learner
Reaction score
hi
try e max veneears its good and time saveing refrectry also good but there where babool in some where in between die and ceramic and after taken from die you cant fire it again for any more adjesment

thanks

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I am using the Girrbach system since I already use it for my modelwork. If you don't have any of this system, it would be too expensive to switch just for the refractories