Digital impressions and in-house milling - the facts?

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has data on the following.

Percentage of dentists in the states currently using digital impressions?

Percentage of dentists milling in house vs digital impressions? ( curious how many digital impression offices choose to just send the impressions to the lab vs milling at the office)

What the best digital impression system for lab collaboration.? I know sirona/ inlab is big in the milling space but are the other systems more specific to imaging only?

Just curious and would also love to know what resources you use for finding this kind of data.

I want to grow my business again and this time hopefully in a scalable way. Digital is something I’ve been hiding from for far too long.

Thanks!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
And consequently I hope you guys working for Cerac Offices are tacking on a little extra for the access versus your normal client who sends everything. If that little machine could make a decent anterior, they'd kick you down the road faster than a used handy wipe during a covid pandemic.

doug

doug

Reaction score
WE have an office we work with who uses their Cerec for same-day only crowns. They even charge less as they feel it is a short term solution, but they patient needs to be treated effectively.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
WE have an office we work with who uses their Cerec for same-day only crowns. They even charge less as they feel it is a short term solution, but they patient needs to be treated effectively.
Unfortunately that's not my experience. They sell as "the solution". They ran that thing so hard it stays red lit daily. And there isn't some discount, it's maximum fee. Then when it finally does fail, I get the call for the emergency flipper, "while they're waiting for their implant crown".

And if you watch the modern advertisements they tell you to choose a dentist that uses the latest technology.... So you can get your crown in as little as a day.

So good for you for working with someone more honest, but most joints are those "Oh you have 12 cavities and need 3 crowns, lucky you came in today".

mammasan

mammasan

Reaction score
I used CEREC for the last ten years. I tried several labs and the consistency just wasn't there (I wish I knew of this site back then because your cases are amazing). I think if you are attentive to detail in your preparation and you understand how to shade you can get a nice crown. For anteriors, what I like is that I now understand stain and glaze and can make minor chairside adjustments on delivery. We were not taught this in school. Frankly, we should have been taught how to add a contact or reglaze.

I now have the AG motion 2. I absolutely love it. I scan with an aoralscan and mill e.max and zirconia. Same day zirconia with GenX is fantastic. I'm getting better with matching colors but I still haven't gotten to where I was with e.max. The fit is out of this world. Sometimes, you need crown removal forceps to remove after checking contacts.

I absolutely love doing all my lab work and it has reinvigorated me. I understand how many dentists do it for the money without concern for the quality. That exists in every profession. Having taught guided surgical courses I'm convinced that the number of dentist who will mill/print in office will always be somewhat limited. I always thought that those who grew up with technology would excel with it but it's just not true. The biggest challenge is that the analog workflows are well established but the digital ones are not. Labs that can facilitate that will survive.

I love this site and what you guys do. Don't bash me too hard!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I used CEREC for the last ten years. I tried several labs and the consistency just wasn't there (I wish I knew of this site back then because your cases are amazing). I think if you are attentive to detail in your preparation and you understand how to shade you can get a nice crown. For anteriors, what I like is that I now understand stain and glaze and can make minor chairside adjustments on delivery. We were not taught this in school. Frankly, we should have been taught how to add a contact or reglaze.

I now have the AG motion 2. I absolutely love it. I scan with an aoralscan and mill e.max and zirconia. Same day zirconia with GenX is fantastic. I'm getting better with matching colors but I still haven't gotten to where I was with e.max. The fit is out of this world. Sometimes, you need crown removal forceps to remove after checking contacts.

I absolutely love doing all my lab work and it has reinvigorated me. I understand how many dentists do it for the money without concern for the quality. That exists in every profession. Having taught guided surgical courses I'm convinced that the number of dentist who will mill/print in office will always be somewhat limited. I always thought that those who grew up with technology would excel with it but it's just not true. The biggest challenge is that the analog workflows are well established but the digital ones are not. Labs that can facilitate that will survive.

You get a pass.... Because essentially you are becoming a dental lab. You now understand magic just doesn't happen because of a 30 minute time block and an assistants bad impression.

More over, you are correct about attention to detail. Applying and building upon knowledge. Most lab inconsistency is caused by production, low wages, and low fees. Coupled with less than realistic return dates, more dentists will have to do their own lab work if they want a consistent and predictable result. So good for you getting a head start for the future.

As a child of the 70s, I too had an early start in the Technological Age. But what I have learned about human beings over the decades, the more convenience technology provides, the less brain power is developed. Spell check killed the education system.

P. S. We like having you here.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

We don't bash, we are techs, we sledgehammer ;)
You make a good point though and what Bigj was alluding too...just because it's fairly easy for the new generation of Dentists doesn't mean they will do it, humans are like water, always take the least resistance path!!!

Top Bottom