3shape both arches

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
I've been requested to make a dual splint on both arches. Both arches flat plane with a point or box on the bottom to relax the muscles in the mouth to offer more comfort...

I am curious if theres a way to duplicate a design on one arch and reuse the a splint in the design to make the other arch.

Currently, I've been creating a splint on one arch and setting keeping the values on the articulator and thicknesses and then creating the splint on the opposing arch with the same thickness and bite openings to maintain the distance best as possible. After I've milled or printed the splints I usually have to check to make sure the splints are not making contact except for the area I've added my guide point on the lower.

Is there an easier way to do dual arches in 3shape?

Thanks

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a way seeing that it is done in dental desktop. But if you could find the cad .dcm file it should be in coordinates with the model then take them into mesh mixer and combine them making a new upper model with the splint in place. But dental desktop works completely different then Dental systems.

C

CadGenius41

Reaction score
You can use Appliance Designer to do this. where are you located?

H

HampeTC

Reaction score
i would either go with the mesh mixer option @Sevan P mentioned or design one splint in Appliance designer then make a new case, import the AntagonistScan as a PreparationScan and import the splints DCM. file from in its CAD folder as the antagonist. If done correct all the files should keep the proper coordinates After that you should be able to see how the two splints would intact with each others.

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
I am in New York,

I am currently working on trying to do this. I've been trying to append the design for reuse. I can run splint studio directly from dental system and I've got the import of the splint but I wish the model would show up with it. I guess meshmixer might be worth a try.

Not completely sure how if I import both preperation and splint it will combine them automatically? Then Select them all and merge? and export? Curious if it'll keep the same bite relationship it did after exporting the stl. Every time I've modified models before printing them with articulator blocks I generally get an error when I bring them back into 3shape about orientation as the models are always vertically positioned with one quad below the plane.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If your using splint studio then appliance designer is not on your syste, as i think it might be until 2019 then splint studio can in 2020 n 2021. Im gonna mention to the development team about trying to add upper and lower in one shot in splint studio.

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
I do have both. Appliance Designer and Splint studio. I've added the other splint but only as a splint in place of the antag. Appliance Designer is much easier for making flat plane splints with an uneven ridge. However, for a basic splint I find splint studio being extremely fast for making 1 splint in matter of minutes.

I spoke with a technical teams of two companies today about this, and they both had people who works in ortho for 10 years and they always wished 3shape had a way to easly design dual splints for sleep and snore appliances seeing as the workflow is extremely similiar during analog minus moving the lower forward but that can be done with the articulator. I have a lot I still need to learn and it would be awesome if they added dual splints.

and if anyone has a way to incorporate meshmixer in combining models, I've only used it to make a terribly model scan and fixing it.

Top Bottom