Quailty of Outsourcing CAD Designs

K

kirby85

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently outsourcing my veneer/crown designs.

I wanted to find out what is considered bad design?

For myself, bad margins, over contour on cervical margin, occlusal function, black triangles...

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
Think about it like any other product, theres different degrees of quality you would expect at different price points. I dont know how much youre paying for a crown design, but I can share with you what my expectations would be.

Accurate margin selection at any pricepoint should be assumed or you need to find a new group to outsource to

For $4 or less, I would expect an occlusal plane that matches the adjacent units, cusp heigts that match the adjacent units, automatic functions applied to form contacts and a distance to opposing unit to some predetermined parameter. I wouldnt expect significant recontouring implemented post those automatic functions, probably only a few base anatomys utilized that are easy and quick to work with, in short a bare minimum but par crown.

For $5 to 10, I would expect a little more. Contours defined to be more harmonious with existing teeth, manual modifications to retain form after contact points are defined, excursive movements and hygenics to be taken into account. At the higher end of this spectrum I would also expect the designer to be able to communicate any potential problems that client may face when working on the case.

For $11 to 15, I expect absolute consistency to the point in which the cases no longer need any form of quality control prior to being milled unless there are special circumstances. If youre paying this and finding more than an occasional problem with the design, then you shouldnt be paying this

For $16+, unless there is some special circumstance, you are paying too much

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'd expect gabage unless you find a one man operation. I've tried all the big companies based in the North America and sent to be designed in Asia and they are terrible and inconsistent (even though the marketing is promising {are all industries filled with extreme promises and guarantees of quality like the dental field?})

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
……..are terrible and inconsistent (even though the marketing is promising {are all industries filled with extreme promises and guarantees of quality like the dental field?})
That’s basically what my wife says about me.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I'd expect gabage unless you find a one man operation. I've tried all the big companies based in the North America and sent to be designed in Asia and they are terrible and inconsistent (even though the marketing is promising {are all industries filled with extreme promises and guarantees of quality like the dental field?})
Ditto. So far every place I've sent are pretty much unusable.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I would agree. I tired a couple of the companies that advertise Designs but they are just so inconsistent.

They all advertise how much time you save. But that is not the reality.
So you send a case and when you wake up in the morning the designed is finished. You think great.
Open up the file and you want to make some changes so you explain as best as you can with screen shots,
You wait till the next day and hope that they made the adjustments.
Open the case, It looks worse than before. Ok I just wasted 2 days to get a design that I cant even use.
Do you try for a third and the same thing happens.. or is it marginally better.

You spend more time going back and forth on the adjustments you want to be made to the design that you might as well just design it yourself..

Send them 3 separate stl files and they don't know what to do with them unless you made it on an order form so it can play nice with 3shape.
But you need to have some resilience and figure out how to get things to work instead of just throwing it back to a client all the time.

Are design centers aware that we have deadlines?

Maybe I'm too picky and a difficult client for them.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Sucks, but design it yourself, It really is the only way.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Lol so you folks outsource your designs but mill in-house?
Sorry but that’s ****ed up

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
How
Why? For every lab Ive worked in theyve had some freelance designer or organization to fall back on should the design work get too heavy at certain time sof the year. Its there for overflow work, so that when capacity isn't met you dont have a guy twiddling his thumbs. Just because some design work is outsourced doesnt mean all design work is.

Going to plug this again because I really think its worth trying out if youve had bad experiences elsewhere. https://www.digisculptdesigncenter.com/

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Nope, not yet. But would be nice to pay some freelancers that could work remotely to do some acceptable design work so I don't have to work 14 hours per day.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nope, not yet. But would be nice to pay some freelancers that could work remotely to do some acceptable design work so I don't have to work 14 hours per day.
Lol
Flip it around.
Outsource everything except the design and live life.
Of course you will have to charge more than $99 for your crowns.

Top Bottom