press packing

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
How many of you denture guys and gals out there press pack in bronze flasks instead of using one of the injection systems that are on the market. I have an idea on denture flasks and want to find out how much they (flasks) are still being used and what brand..popcorn

PM me if you wish.

Thanks to all, and blessed be,

Last edited:
J

Jim P

Reaction score
Press Pack Denture Flasks

I have used brass flask forever. I've alway used Hanau flasks. The last ones I purchased were not as well manufactured as they were in the 70's. Anyway they are the easiest to use, clean and maintain.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We use Varsity flasks Kim. I have about 30 that I have acquired over the last 20 years.

C

CShof

Reaction score
I use Varsity. Found a bunch on ebay for real cheap years before I opened a lab just in case that day would come.

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
I was at a swapmeet years ago and a guy was selling flasks as door stops for a dollar each. I bought all 10.

Thank you to all for your help. I belive Hanan and Varsity parts are interchangeable. I am hoping that this is true.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Varsity is made by Hanua. Don't know why they have two names...or which came first or even if they still offer both. They last forever and I think the ones I bought used 25+ years ago were probably made by Paul Revere.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I use them too, never a problem. Does anyone still supply the benchtop ejector units?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
No bronze, mine are FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). Microwave. The HK type. I've had most of them more than 10 years.

24kt k9

Reaction score
We use Varsity by Hanau bronze flasks for at least 35 years.For a short time we injected using ivoclar system but got fustrated with the injector flask.

AKA Golden Dog

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
taller denture flasks

Thanks to all that answered my opening question. Here is the reason I asked. I needed taller flasks for my masks. Masks are flasked face up so I was limited as to how far back I could make a mask cover. Distil of the 2nd bi's was as far as I could go and in some cases not even that far. I wanted to be able to include the 1st molar.

I found out that my idea for extending the hight of a flask is not going to be patentable. Plus it was going to be a major pain to produce. Tim (Cynosurer)shared with me what he did when he needed a taller flask, use a bottom for a top without the knock-out plate and be carefull.

I took that idea and ran with it. I drilled exaust holes, and used shipping tape to hold the knock-out plate in place while flasking. The next problem was a compress that would accomodate a taller flask. I refitted a old reline jig and used that for my compress.

Any feed back, coments, or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I should mention that my boyfriend in a mechanic and designs custom parts for road racers. We have a milling machine (motorcycle parts not dental) in our garage. He did the work. I just told him what I wanted.
051.jpg 052.jpg 053.jpg 054.jpg 055.jpg 057.jpg 059.jpg

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Looks good, Kim.
I really like the compress idea you came up with. It hasn't happened yet but, with some implant cases having analogs and tall sub structures, we've come awfully close to running out of room. We have a few tops that we ended up concaving out a bit to allow room for the incisors. This will come in handy. Now I just have to find that old repair jig...been ages since I've used one. Of course, I can still use extra bottom flasks and lids to compress the cases and get the benefit of the springs.

I've been using my Valplast flasks for the extra tall cases. They too get screwed down.

I guess this brings us to the question what is the clinical difference between press packed cases that are screwed vs spring clamped. I've seen so many techs simply tighten the compresses down to metal to metal contact that one has to wonder what percentage of techs back off the compress the quarter turn that is recommended and how many of those ever replace the springs. What is the effect of a weak spring and how do you tell if a spring has had it?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
toughened springs can be bought direct from a spring maker, and a torque wrench used to determine the closure settings.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Neat Idea Kim

I guess a double compress with only the base of a second flask or a couple of tops would allow you not to have to modify the jig but I like your thinking.

How much did you spend for that brass blank that you man milled :)

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
no brass blank

John,

Look again. Did not mill a blank. wanted it as easy as possible. The top is an inverted bottom. The milling came in in extending the reline jig to make it tall enough to use as a compress. It was beat up and he had to drill out and rethread the jig bottom. I also have a box of miss matched flasks and he pulls out the pins and remills the flask edges to make matches and puts the pins back in.:D

Tim,
I don't back off for expansion with my masks.

Last edited: