PREFERENCE SOFT LINER

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
Removable Types,
I'd like you to take a look at and consider a new soft liner from Whip Mix. Preference Soft Denture Liner. this is a medical grade silicone that has been FDA approved for dentistry. It is a different process, but the liner will stay soft and attached for over 4 years. Sorption rate is low and cleaning is simple with a tooth brush.
We are suggesting that you might try this out on your premium cases where you want to do better than a chairside or a liner that you have to replace every year or two.
You can do a quick read in last October's IDT or online at www.whipmix.com
I'd like to get some feed back if you have tried it already and generally how many soft relines do you do a month?? I'm hearing that the labs are not doing many.
Best to you all
Craig

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
It looks nice but that is a long cure time. Is the material hard to shape and polish like a silicone type material ?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I get the concept, but why would you want the same softliner for 4 years? They are gross as is after 2 years.

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
What if it isn't Gross, because of the easy care?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Well, I have never used/seen the stuff. You may be right.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
Can I get a sample? I am looking for a new material to use.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Why not make it simpler and just wax your periphery and place the unit on a jig?

As for the material looks like clear caulking material even though I am certain its medical grade.

The pressure pot looks to be able to hold high pressure. What is the curing temp and can it be cured in conventional pots or needs this special one?

Good to see you posting here!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
14 hrs in the pressure pot?

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Ok guys - might be good or have they just reinvented the wheel . I've been doing cusil type relines for years . And yes John I do jig them , like you suggest. Works just fine . Maybe this material will live up to all claims ( 4 yrs.) etc. , but where's the documentation ? We've all seen cusils after 4 yrs. , some look great some look like , well you know. I'm to old to be a kid in the candy shop- I need more info. Too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Here is a soft liner primer attached if you are keen to take a beak. Lists ideal properties of soft liners.
Silicones tend to suffer from "bounce back" and dreaded moulds and fungi especially
"Aspergillus Niger" as the digestive juices play havoc to silicones. Also silicones are notorious for pulling away from denture bases if a bonding agent is not used or the denture base is "old".

That is not to say that Preference is like this as I have not used it.

Anyway just thought i share the article, doesn't push any brand. Enjoy.

Attachments

• RESILIENT LINERS copy.pdf
    514.2 KB · Views: 22
P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
I was at a continuing ed seminar recently with the presentation from this threads author and I saw the reline in person. It is just what you said it was john a medical grade rtv silicone and it seemed very durable and the issue of delamination from the base is supposedly resolved with their proprietary primer. The issue i brought up was with a reline impression that is unusually thick what happens when you grind through the base(and into the reline material) to thin the palate? also i asked him (craig) how it is to finish/polish the periphery to which he stated it takes some practice.So basically there is a learning curve with approximately an 800 dollar investment plus to start using this system. I do not do that many soft relines to warrant me making the leap, my guess is that this will be a non starter for whip mix

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I am doing a lot of cu sil type dentures especially in very elderly patients...I invariably end up doing a molloplast reline...I have tried Easysoft and some of the charside reline materials. I like Tokoyama products for their durability and few delaminations. But usually just revert to a processed reline by Molloplast B. I am starting to use mollosil with some success...Will see how long they last..Doing a lot of hospital and nursing home visits and encountering a lot of parkinsons cases and those with behaviour problems as well as dementia...Doing a lot of chairside relines for them as they cannot tolerate long involved procedures..Some cannot even follow requested instructions such as telling me where it hurts...So it is challenging....Not exactly glamorous but I am getting lots of experience dealing with difficult cases....Cheers, Keep well...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I think that this is one of those "miracle in a bottle" dental sales gimmicks its probably a decent product being hyped as something amazing.

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've touched base and I have been busy crossing the country with this product. All these comments are good ones and there are answers for each. Longevity; why would you want it that long? because it just does not fall apart the way the others do, which is what leads to the bacterial growth etc...Good bond and hygiene works miracles! Read the article ( thanks T Whitty) and there are different types of Silicones, the most common being AB and not RTV. Medical has liked this stuff for many years, we are just getting it into Dental. Learning curve, sure...as with anything but it is short ( I mean come on...an old C&B guy can do it!). Patients with Nursing home issues...maybe not the best. Miracle in a bottle....only when it works and others don't. We've been very successful with patients where other materials have not, once the techs get past some pre-conceived notions and biases. When a patient is happy after years of problems, it's a good thing.
Non-Starter....Well I'll give you that it is a difficult starter ( but then look at the audience! you guys are not push overs) but we are slowly getting the word out and the practical cases done for your consideration. Documentation, 10 years in a private practice focused on referrals from other dentists where things have failed. Don't do many? Your not offering Dr's anything new. Why should they change from the material they are using chair-side to eat your lunch in this area?
If any of you really have an interest, give me a call (800-626-5651 X 1275 or e-mail me at, [email protected]) and I'd be happy to talk about your concerns and even work something out for you to take a look. Can't hurt.
Good talking with you again.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Im all on board until the 14 hour cure time. Make it two hours with these properties and you've got yourself a line out the door.

capickettcdt

capickettcdt

Reaction score
Why not make it simpler and just wax your periphery and place the unit on a jig?

As for the material looks like clear caulking material even though I am certain its medical grade.

The pressure pot looks to be able to hold high pressure. What is the curing temp and can it be cured in conventional pots or needs this special one?

Good to see you posting here!

Hey John - Yep Medical Grade RTV in the same family as Silicone Caulk. the formula works. the guys that Jig have had trouble with trapping air since the viscosity won't let you trial pack. Pressure - I tried it with 26lbs but it didn't have the surface of the 80psi or the density. It's room temperature on the cure, warm water does not hurt. I'm sure as we go along we will find techs that challenge this material and see another way to use it. That's fine as long as it works the same as the current process. Best to ya.