Keysplint soft users, I have a question.

• Thread starter Dental materials research
  • Start date
D

Dental materials research

Reaction score
Does the Keysplint Soft have any special characteristics compared to other materials?

And I wonder if there is any inconvenience in using the product.

Is it inappropriate for use in a patient's bruxism?

If you use another product with 3D printing, please recommend the product.

A lot of comments are needed. I'd appreciate it if you could write down even the smallest things in detail.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hang on , this sounds like a great question for my friend chat ai :) :

Keysplint Soft is a thermoplastic dental splint material designed for the fabrication of occlusal splints, night guards, and other dental appliances. It does have some special characteristics compared to other materials, but it's essential to understand its strengths and weaknesses to determine if it's appropriate for your specific needs.
Special Characteristics of Keysplint Soft:
  1. Comfort and Flexibility: Keysplint Soft is known for its flexibility and softness, making it comfortable for patients to wear. This characteristic is especially beneficial for patients with bruxism (teeth grinding) since it provides a cushioning effect.
  2. Adjustability: This material is semi-rigid when cool but can be heated and molded to fit the patient's teeth precisely. This adjustability allows for a custom fit, ensuring that the splint is comfortable and effective.
  3. Durability: Keysplint Soft is designed to withstand the wear and tear associated with night grinding and clenching, making it a durable choice for patients with bruxism.
  4. Biocompatibility: It is generally considered biocompatible, which means it's safe to use in the mouth without causing adverse reactions.
Inconveniences/Considerations:
  1. Regular Maintenance: Dental splints, including those made from Keysplint Soft, require regular cleaning and maintenance to prevent bacterial buildup.
  2. Limited Longevity: Although durable, splints may eventually wear out and require replacement.
  3. Not Suitable for Severe Cases: For patients with severe bruxism or complex dental issues, a more rigid material or a customized solution may be necessary.
  4. Professional Fabrication: Keysplint Soft splints should be fabricated by a dental professional to ensure proper fit and function.
3D Printing Alternatives:
There are other materials suitable for 3D printing dental appliances. Some alternatives include:
  1. E-Resin:
    • E-Resin is a biocompatible 3D printing resin suitable for various dental applications, including splints.
  2. Dental LT Clear Resin:
    • Dental LT Clear Resin is another 3D printing material suitable for making clear dental appliances like splints.
  3. Flexible Resins:
    • Some flexible 3D printing resins, like NextDent Flex, can be used for making dental splints.
These materials offer different characteristics, and the choice may depend on specific patient needs and the capabilities of your 3D printing system.
In summary, Keysplint Soft is a flexible and comfortable material suitable for many patients with bruxism, but it's important to consult with a dental professional for an accurate assessment. If you are considering 3D printing, there are alternative materials available, but the choice depends on your specific requirements and the capabilities of your 3D printer. Always follow professional guidance when dealing with dental appliances to ensure the best outcomes for your patients.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
S

sirmorty

Reaction score
.5mm for a Night Guard?
How is that supposed to last?

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
.05mm on the asiga takes around 5-6 hours and looks great. Havent tried .025, but .1mm isn't too much different, you can see the layer lines if you really look, but I don't think a patient would notice/care. Ultragloss is no joke, they come off the printer ready to cure and ship.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
you can see the layer lines if you really look, but I don't think a patient would notice/care.
I was running low on one bottle and mixed a little from a new. It created some visible print lines even though I mixed it well. Did the candy cost technique and it filled in those lines pretty well, still slightly visible.

Ultragloss is no joke, they come off the printer ready to cure and ship.
What about after cleaning. Even with clean alcohol on both baths I tend to get a cloudy appearance. Does the ultra gloss still keep its clarity after alcohol bath?

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
They do lose a bit of the gloss after cleaning/curing, but we still struggle to make them any more clear with polishing, usually it makes them worse and takes forever. I've found that less cleaning keeps more gloss, so I now do 3min in clean alcohol and then straight into the nitrogen cure.

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Clipped_image_20231104_113517.png Clipped_image_20230901_195857.png Clipped_image_20230901_195726.png
Some pics on the platform, and one with no finishing a few days post cure

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
clean your prints with air, spritz with alcohol, air to remove excess alcohol and cure under nitrogen.. or do a light coat with fluid resin and cure

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I was running low on one bottle and mixed a little from a new. It created some visible print lines even though I mixed it well. Did the candy cost technique and it filled in those lines pretty well, still slightly visible.

What about after cleaning. Even with clean alcohol on both baths I tend to get a cloudy appearance. Does the ultra gloss still keep its clarity after alcohol bath?
We don't use any supports to nest. We just pull the design slightly through the place on the very distal of the splint and nest at about an 80 degree angle. We hand wash these splints using a spray bottle of alcohol and a small brush. If you put them in a washing system that vibrates, it will turn them cloudy. Once the alcohol evaporates, the splint is cured in an Ottoflash with Ni.

E

Ehas23

Reaction score
clean your prints with air, spritz with alcohol, air to remove excess alcohol and cure under nitrogen.. or do a light coat with fluid resin and cure
I have the Otoflash 6171, is nitrogen a must? I have read that I can just cure it 2000 flashes per side with this unit without nitrogen. Thanks

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
nitrogen is a must... the OIL layer needs to be sealed.
it will require less processing, and a much cleaner product is the end result.
glycerine is not a substitute.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score

Last edited:
T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
You can also cure under vacuum, but the Otoflash isn't able to do that. We use Dreve LCD units and they've got a vacuum pump to evacuate the build chamber, it substitutes for most (but not all) resins that normally need shielding gas. Very handy. it cuts our N2 consumption massively, we're a big lab and we use a couple of cylinders of gas a year now, and almost all of that is feeding our Otoflash (which uses far more N2 than other curing units do, probably because it has no gaskets to retain the atmosphere inside, so it floods the chamber to compensate)

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
The Oto does have a neoprene gasket.. it's white.
the gas button all the way up is a 90 second purge which is all that is needed. keep the reg at 1 bar pressure to preserve gas