Plaster traps

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Is anyone using their plaster traps with a septic system?

Do you use a disposable or standard trap? Which brand and why?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
We use the disposable because there is no way Im going to get my hands dirty doing that job so I assigned that duty to my wife.

Its easy for her to change it out vs banging plaster out of a sump.

We use those Henry Schein plastic buckets.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I've been using the disposable Trap-Eze plaster trap, but lately the garbage truck guy won't take it. I've had to empty half the trap into a garbage bag & put the trap into another bag to distribute the weight.

I did order the aluminum plaster trap with removable bags, but it didn't come with some parts that are needed to attach it. Returning it. Plus it was smaller than I thought & I don't like having to unscrew the top off to remove/replace the bag.

I'd be interested in any other alternatives anyone has been using.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I've been using the disposable Trap-Eze plaster trap, but lately the garbage truck guy won't take it. I've had to empty half the trap into a garbage bag & put the trap into another bag to distribute the weight.

I did order the aluminum plaster trap with removable bags, but it didn't come with some parts that are needed to attach it. Returning it. Plus it was smaller than I thought & I don't like having to unscrew the top off to remove/replace the bag.

That one with the bags is a PIA to instal the bags with out getting leaks.

I make runs to the dump about 4 times a year and take the traps then.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use a 3 gal disposable size as that is all that fits, I have a friend who uses #2 5 gal disposable as he is on a septic/ greywater & the single was messing up the greywater.
I have had to put the plaster trap in the box it came in for the trash collection to take it or put it in some cardboard box The wastemangement driver said they are supposed to seperate paint buckets & the trap looks like a 5 gal paint bucket.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We use the disposable because there is no way Im going to get my hands dirty doing that job so I assigned that duty to my wife.

Its easy for her to change it out vs banging plaster out of a sump.

We use those Henry Schein plastic buckets.

Are you on a septic system Al?

Do you have a separate drain or does the water drain into your tank?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I use a 3 gal disposable size as that is all that fits, I have a friend who uses #2 5 gal disposable as he is on a septic/ greywater & the single was messing up the greywater.
I have had to put the plaster trap in the box it came in for the trash collection to take it or put it in some cardboard box The wastemangement driver said they are supposed to seperate paint buckets & the trap looks like a 5 gal paint bucket.

Ajel, did your friend's septic back up? Wouldn't the slurry effect the weeping tiles?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

Are you on ciy water/sewage?

C

ccdental

Reaction score
My old building was on a septic system. Just used the disposable traps and never had any issues with it. Was there for 10 years. just changed them out about monthly

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My old building was on a septic system. Just used the disposable traps and never had any issues with it. Was there for 10 years. just changed them out about monthly

Thanks cc

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Are you on a septic system Al?

Do you have a separate drain or does the water drain into your tank?

Yes septic.

I would never run it into my septic system.
I have a separate drain for the plaster sink. Run it underground and out with the water from the rain gutters.

At my other place I put a 50 gal barrel in the ground. Drilled holes in it and surrounded it with gravel. Ran the water from the plaster sink into it.

Those disposable plaster traps get heavy when full. Probably 30 lbs?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes septic.

I would never run it into my septic system.
I have a separate drain for the plaster sink. Run it underground and out with the water from the rain gutters.

At my other place I put a 50 gal barrel in the ground. Drilled holes in it and surrounded it with gravel. Ran the water from the plaster sink into it.

Those disposable plaster traps get heavy when full. Probably 30 lbs?

I guess as long as the grass doesn't turn white you're ok.

We used to have a wood pellet stove and the bags were over 40 lbs .That was before my hernia operation.

I switched to gas:eek:

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the kavo large plastic traps. PITA to clean and hella smelly, but i get to do them 1x a week. coveralls for the win in this case.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Ajel, did your friend's septic back up? Wouldn't the slurry effect the weeping tiles?
Dave runs it into the grey water that can go out with the rain gutter into a separate leech field from just a 55 gal tank, he went to the 2 traps when he noticed the blue 55 gal getting a slurry bottom 2 years ago, but then he rotates them, old becomes new and new is final to the grey water. 1 5 gal per mo, we were getting them from e-bay and then Trinity did better as long as we bought 25 at a time. He is on city water but the sewer just didn't get to his place. I tried the gleco pickle jar it let a lot of stuff get to my ejector pit. and those jars R not cheep, not for a model trimmer maybe just a little articulation.

Last edited: