New to Surgical Guides

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I just started designing surgical guides using Blue Sky's planning software. The doctor I'm making the guide for is concerned about being able to use the guide with limited space on posterior implants. He sent me this picture of an "open" guide. Anyone have experience on how these situations should be handled? If I don't use the guide cylinder like in this picture, what's the point of the guide?

Attachments

• IMG-7556.jpg
    IMG-7556.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 34
D

DianaZ

Reaction score
I'm kind of a newbie regarding surgical guides, too, but I've done some reading because one of the docs here is keen to use them more often (and I think they're an interesting topic, tbh). Maybe these papers could help out?

In Vitro Comparison between Metal Sleeve-Free and Metal Sleeve-Incorporated 3D-Printed Computer-Assisted Implant Surgical Guides

(Precision and trueness of computer-assisted implant placement using static surgical guides with open and closed sleeves: An in vitro analysis

The doctor here uses Blue Sky Plan too, but I don't know that it offers the ability to make open guides unless there's something under the "kits" option in the software. Nothing jumped out at me, though. The Blue Sky Bio service people are pretty responsive, so perhaps they can help with that.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I'm kind of a newbie regarding surgical guides, too, but I've done some reading because one of the docs here is keen to use them more often (and I think they're an interesting topic, tbh). Maybe these papers could help out?

In Vitro Comparison between Metal Sleeve-Free and Metal Sleeve-Incorporated 3D-Printed Computer-Assisted Implant Surgical Guides

(Precision and trueness of computer-assisted implant placement using static surgical guides with open and closed sleeves: An in vitro analysis

The doctor here uses Blue Sky Plan too, but I don't know that it offers the ability to make open guides unless there's something under the "kits" option in the software. Nothing jumped out at me, though. The Blue Sky Bio service people are pretty responsive, so perhaps they can help with that.
Thanks for this info! Ill look into today. :)