Mismatched exocad scans...is it possible?

PearlySweetKate

PearlySweetKate

Reaction score
Hi. Your friendly in-house lab tech here, coming in after a long time away from this platform. Been teaching myself exocad and am confronted with something for the first time - can ya help a girl out? :) Screenshot 2024-04-25 150901lowerscan.pngAssistant took a scan of a patient (crown #20) and post-processing was interrupted. She got tech to help finish processing and scans were sent to me as an STL's, which I then upload into exocad and work from there. Unfortunately, the data got jumbled somehow, but she was able to retrieve the scan pre-processing, post processed THAT, then resent them to me. Yay, I have a clear margin for #20.
However, the scans with the good prep data have a bad bite. The scan with the bad prep data has a good bite. I tried to pick and choose and upload the good prep scan and preprep scan, and chose the upper scan from the group with the good bite data. But they're not really meshing - see the amount of overlap in scans.
Is what I am trying to attempt possible? Or will we need to bring the patient back in for a better full scan and bite in one swoop? Screenshot 2024-04-25 151001 with opposing.png Screenshot 2024-04-25 151102underneath.png

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
its tricky to load the good bite arches, export them as one stl then import that as a bite scan. very tricksy, precious.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with exocad, but it should just be a couple clicks in blender to turn two STLs into a single STL.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Start a new cad design and bring in the 2 scans that are in good occlusion as your jaw scan and antagonist. Immediately go into expert mode. On the right side of the screen select tools and scroll down to add/remove mesh. Elect to load a generic visualization mesh and load the scan that has the good data and select "align."

Now you can select common points between the good scan to the bad scan, just pick a couple teeth on each side. Once you've got your points select to align, then hold control and select "best fit matching." The algorithm will automatically align the scans and show you a heat map of how accurately matched they are.

Now make everything invisible but the newly aligned scan, right click anywhere on the screen and select to save it as an .stl name it something like "goodscanaligned.stl" somewhere where you can easily find it.

Now you can bring the scan in a new design as your jaw scan in correct occlusion.