Milling Templates?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Is there a software that can help you set your template up for the most efficient milling without wasting? I hate to run a program to watch it not work. Lots of cost just getting ground away. I'm new to milling so any help please?

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Kent,

Some CAM suppliers can provide you with a program that virtually mills your templates on screen. That way you can see what the toolpaths will produce before you actually send them to the machine. Outside that it sounds like you're asking for the education that only years of experience can provide and I'm not aware of any software that tries to reproduce that.

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of ___________________ !

Jay

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Thanks Jay,
I had one fall out of the puck the other day before finishing milling. I was not happy, but I learned from my mistake. Guess it happens sometimes. It was my very first run. I've already gotten better at planning the units out in the puck for connectors. You're right. Experience can only provide what I was asking for.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Jay,

Update. I have gotten much much better after placing units in the puck for the past two weeks. I've only had two units drop out on me total when milling. One was on the very first run I ever did and another was me trying to squeeze them in there.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What CAM are yu running?

Come to Richmond this summer for 2012 CAM retreat!

Google "Emuge Dental", and check out the German recommended milling strategy for various materials.

Download the Tool brochure, and scroll down and check it out!

Scott

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Scott,

Haha. I'd love that! We're running the CAD Blu CAM software for the EZ Mill. I'd love to have a software that can engrave. I could lightly engrave the shade on the to speed up my dipping process. I'm not sure if our software has that option.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I was laughing because we both were looking at the same forum at the same time and were replying. Found it funny.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
When is the retreat? Who's putting it on? How many days is it? Could I come check out your place if I get the chance to come up there?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Scott,

Haha. I'd love that! We're running the CAD Blu CAM software for the EZ Mill. I'd love to have a software that can engrave. I could lightly engrave the shade on the to speed up my dipping process. I'm not sure if our software has that option.

If you're running the EZMILL then why/how are you trying to program your own paths? Are you using a third party cam? The EZMILL does all of the work for you, everything pre-setup. Not sure how you are wasting material but I'm cramming units in and have not been wasting any using their auto setup. Why waste time figuring all that out when you can just load the files and hit START and get perfect units everytime?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
YES, SUM3d has engraving and many new features for 2012.

Always evolving. I'm running out of suggestions for the software myself.

Luigi added auto-moving of files that have been milled this month.

There are a few other new Icons I just saw on an update.

EZMill is VHF, and I have postprocessor for that little booger. Same for Jensen's VHF mill.

Scott

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
If you're running the EZMILL then why/how are you trying to program your own paths? Are you using a third party cam? The EZMILL does all of the work for you, everything pre-setup. Not sure how you are wasting material but I'm cramming units in and have not been wasting any using their auto setup. Why waste time figuring all that out when you can just load the files and hit START and get perfect units everytime?

I believe the original question was in reference to nesting, not toolpath strategies.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

I'm using the software that CAD Blu provided. It's a simple program. I do not think it automatically sets up a proposal for you at all.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I believe the original question was in reference to nesting, not toolpath strategies.

Yep. This is all new to me. Sorry if I appear as if you're speaking a different language to me. I'm talking about the placement of the units in the puck and applying the connectors in the software. I'm not talking about setting my own tool paths. Just setting the puck up for the mill to run.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
No worries Kent. I didn't understand what you were asking until your second post but this is how we learn. Keep on keepin on.

Jay