Loose full upper denture

Claire

Claire

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trained as a crown and bridge technician and am recently getting into dentures. i'm having a few jobs back from a dentist where the denture fits at the try in stage but is loose at the fit stage. This guy does not use special trays and is giving out about having to retake impressions due to the extra cost to him. I am at a loss to explain it. Any ideas? i would be greatful!

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I would recommend a wash impression at the time of try in. Explain to the doc that the extra material cost will more then pay for itself do to reduced chair time and better fits.

When problems like this occur first thing i always check is to see if its isolated to one account. If so that tells you alot right there. Probably something on there end and it could be a number of things but the wash should help.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
What does the dentist mean by loose? Is it happening with uppers and lowers? More info is needed to weed out the exact problem.

With a few assumptions from your original post I'll take a crack with only that info. The problem would be low suction on uppers after processing & finish. Problems could include improper post dam dimension or location, over trimmed peripheral boarder or improper curing temperature.

Claire

Claire

Reaction score
I would recommend a wash impression at the time of try in. Explain to the doc that the extra material cost will more then pay for itself do to reduced chair time and better fits.

When problems like this occur first thing i always check is to see if its isolated to one account. If so that tells you alot right there. Probably something on there end and it could be a number of things but the wash should help.
Thanks, i'll contact my other accounts to make sure the problem isn't accross the board first.

Claire

Claire

Reaction score
What does the dentist mean by loose? Is it happening with uppers and lowers? More info is needed to weed out the exact problem.

With a few assumptions from your original post I'll take a crack with only that info. The problem would be low suction on uppers after processing & finish. Problems could include improper post dam dimension or location, over trimmed peripheral boarder or improper curing temperature.
Thanks for the advice Craig, i'll do a bit of research!

S

Sp00n

Reaction score
Need to ask 'when is it loose?' During function or whilst reading a book.. you can sorta grasp an answer from there

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

Not to mention if the patient needed tissue conditioning BEFORE final impression and dr didn't have a clue....
In which case the problem is rebound and a wash may not necessarily fix that if the state of the soft tissue is still swollen...
That issue manifests more apparently in the maxilla than the mandible because it compromises adaptation, and hence, seal.

S

Sp00n

Reaction score
A "loose" denture - upper or lower could be from aaaaanything from occlusion to impression to bite to ovd, etc. It is up to the clinician to figure out what the problem is. One thing that comes to mind is the periphery of the coronal-maxillary area - most of the time you will find that gap close on opening, sometimes it opens up at opening thus introducing air under the denture base. Sometimes it could be that there is an overextension in the postdam region. Sometimes not enough compression in the soft/hard junction of the palate. There are just too many variables to "loose" upper denture and the thing that the dentist has to do is back track his steps from the impression stage. Asking the techo why the denture is loose seems to be a bit weird (if i put it politely) to me. The techo doesnt see the patient. The dentist does (in this case anyway). Btw, im a prosthetist (standing upside down in australia)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk