Overextended borders FML

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
So I just started working as an in-house technician again because I got kind of drained in the production setting. In the clinic, they take alginate impressions with stock trays lined with ropes of utility wax. I've been making dentures for 20 years, but have not experienced all these adjustments of border length from the clinic. They just use wax for their baseplates, don't want to do custom trays, and mount everything on a metal hinge-type articulator. I know that I just made some heads explode. But the metal articulator thing; I'm going to try to persuade the doctors to use semi-adjustable. Sometimes I might need to open the bite some and I think it translates differently since we use the crappy hinge-type.

Would having the assistants practice muscle trimming their alginate impressions solve the overextension issue? This is driving me nuts, and definitely knocked me down a few rungs and humbled me a bit. I just feel weird coming in here and changing the way they do things. I always feel like people take me as being condescending but I really just want us all to do less work.

And to anyone who has finished dentures to an overextended cast, please explain your thought process in how long/thick to leave your flanges. Because if you take them to the border, they'll need cut back what seems to be at least 3-4mm. Thank you for your insight!