Looking for a milling machine please help

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
DWX 50 bad choice its plastic box. They will obsolete in 3 years.
I have Wieland Mini that mills excellent Zr/PMMA/wax with Zenotec Quantro suction.
Looking at wet/dry not the new mill from B&D. I might sell the Mini for a good offer. Or might
Just keep it to mill Zr. Excellent condition. [email protected]
Also, I m looking at 5 axis VersaMill
Thanks Tad

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
I have Wieland Mini that mills excellent Zr/PMMA/wax with Zenotec Quantro suction.
Looking at wet/dry not the new mill from B&D. I might sell the Mini for a good offer. Or might
Thanks Tad

Im not that much of a 4 axis fan honestly...

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
and again not ready to spend 85000 on a mill for now.
Pretty sure ill have a better idea once i come back from the chicago trade show

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
Thanks Tad

any opinions on what ts4341 had to say ?

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
any opinions on what ts4341 had to say ?
Sure. I'm thinking Tad shows great wisdom by looking at the Versamill 5x.;)
Sorry, you probably didn't mean that sort of opinion. I just couldn't help myself...

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
I have been outsourcing my zirconia work for years now, mostly lava and more recently, Zi done on a 450i. After much procrastinating and research, we
recently bit the bullet and purchased a DWX50.
Once our annual outsourcing costs were equal to the price of the mill I knew it was time to take the next logical step. We did not need a wet capability as
we press Emax, so the Roland was best bang for buck as it does everything we need at this time.
I have to say that the quality of the work from the Roland is equal to anything we have had from other mills in the past, and it is also nice to be in control of the actual milling
of the restoration once the scan is completed.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
YES!!! how much time have you had the scanner for.. any maintenance done ? and which furnace do u use to press emax

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
Also not worried about DWX 50 being good quality... just worried about how long its going to last

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Our oldest one is now over three years and has over 11,000 hours on it and is still performing great. it's probably paid for itself more than a dozen times. Like any mill, it has had some regular maintaince and a couple of spindle repalcments. Not bad for about 33,000 units. We also have four newer DWX50's, all of differnt ages, all running fine.
CAP has placed several hundred DWX50's in labs and there are other distributors placing them as well. I believe we would be hearing about it if a Roland had a long term performance problem.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but we've had our Roland DWX-50 for 10 months now. Sure, there was a learning curve and had minor issues here and there. We kept moving forward, the first day we stopped all hand waxing and found out quickly we didn't like the pucks (too much resin-shrinkage). We changed pucks and have been off to the races since. We then started getting hot and heavy into doing PMMA temps...now instead of just doing a large diagnostic wax-up, we have pretty much all of our docs on board with us making these cad/cam temps at the same time we do the white wax-ups (doubled our growth in this area). We still outsource our zirconia but that's only because we do so much of it and get a great deal from our milling company on them. This past year has been a game changer for us because of the milling capacity. For instance I walked into the lab on New Years day and took a look around, there was only 10 pans in the lab. Some folks would be tripping, I wasn't, last year at that time I had over 500 pans filled with cases and had an appointment book...booked out 4 months in some cases. The milling has quadrupled our output so much so, that I now I get to focus on my personal life, I actually don't feel guilty for staying up with the old lady watching a movie...or was that making a movie together...HA!!! So call it a plastic box, I don't care, that plastic box gave me back my freedom to do so much more, and that's that in a nut shell. Friday another 50 cases came in...and if I know my team, they'll all be out by Wednesday, as that cad/cam Al states, cad/cam doesn't replace us, it gives us more time to focus on what we do best!!!

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
YES!!! how much time have you had the scanner for.. any maintenance done ? and which furnace do u use to press emax[/QUOTE]

We have had the D700 for Two years now, before that, we waxed and posted job to milling centre.
We press with the EP 3000.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
Our oldest one is now over three years and has over 11,000 hours on it and is still performing great. it's probably paid for itself more than a dozen times. Like any mill, it has had some regular maintaince and a couple of spindle repalcments. Not bad for about 33,000 units. We also have four newer DWX50's, all of differnt ages, all running fine.
CAP has placed several hundred DWX50's in labs and there are other distributors placing them as well. I believe we would be hearing about it if a Roland had a long term performance problem.

hey bob.. how many hours before you have to replace the spindle... and how much would u spindle set you back.

I know I sound like a broken record, but we've had our Roland DWX-50 for 10 months now. Sure, there was a learning curve and had minor issues here and there. We kept moving forward, the first day we stopped all hand waxing and found out quickly we didn't like the pucks (too much resin-shrinkage). We changed pucks and have been off to the races since. We then started getting hot and heavy into doing PMMA temps...now instead of just doing a large diagnostic wax-up, we have pretty much all of our docs on board with us making these cad/cam temps at the same time we do the white wax-ups (doubled our growth in this area). We still outsource our zirconia but that's only because we do so much of it and get a great deal from our milling company on them. This past year has been a game changer for us because of the milling capacity. For instance I walked into the lab on New Years day and took a look around, there was only 10 pans in the lab. Some folks would be tripping, I wasn't, last year at that time I had over 500 pans filled with cases and had an appointment book...booked out 4 months in some cases. The milling has quadrupled our output so much so, that I now I get to focus on my personal life, I actually don't feel guilty for staying up with the old lady watching a movie...or was that making a movie together...HA!!! So call it a plastic box, I don't care, that plastic box gave me back my freedom to do so much more, and that's that in a nut shell. Friday another 50 cases came in...and if I know my team, they'll all be out by Wednesday, as that cad/cam Al states, cad/cam doesn't replace us, it gives us more time to focus on what we do best!!!

Thelabguy.. i know quality is going to be impecable... all i dont know is how much time it will last.. dont feel like replacing a spindle every couple of thousand hours thats all.

Just being a devil's advocate trying to find out if dwx50 will be more expensive on the long run if i need to replace the spindle so many more times than a machine that will cost me more but will cost less on the long run with less spindle changes thats all

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thelabguy.. i know quality is going to be impecable... all i dont know is how much time it will last.. dont feel like replacing a spindle every couple of thousand hours thats all.

Just being a devil's advocate trying to find out if dwx50 will be more expensive on the long run if i need to replace the spindle so many more times than a machine that will cost me more but will cost less on the long run with less spindle changes thats all

Not a problem brother, there is nothing wrong with doing your due diligence...you won't get any issues from me for that. I actually give you mad respect, most people don't care or have the time to do their homework. Let us know what you decide.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
I'm 29 with a kid on the way and a dental lab... Every decision counts :)
Even going to Chicago trade show to further my knowledge.. Thanks for the help and respect brother.. I'll definitely keep in touch

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
No one actually talked about vhf. Any thoughts?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
You should look into rjs's offer. Six months ago I bought a wieland mini over a dwx50. Just finished my best year ever. Having a mill was a big part of that. The weiland mini has been great, works like it should and support has been top notch. That being said the origin 5000 is bigger mill with more possibilities. Origin also has a new table top that looks very interesting,both are made by yenadent. And don't forget to budget for high quality suction and air you are going to need both. Any mill out there runs best clean and dry(air).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wieland mini is a vhf

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
hey bob.. how many hours before you have to replace the spindle... and how much would u spindle set you back.ll
The spindle has a 2000 hour warranty. We are seeing them go for up to 5000 hours. We had one at CAP with over 5000 hours and began to see a slight increase in chipping so we replaced it. Keep in mind 5000 hours represents about 15,000 units. Cost to replace, about $3K. In conclusion if you get 5000 hours the spindle cost per unit is 20 cents. 3000 hours and it's 33 cents a unit.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
My next mill will most likely be a five axis. I went with the mini mainly because of the support from Ivoclar and I didn't want to get into a license fee for 5axis cam on my first mill. If I remember it was around 100 a month. The mini will have payed for itself in one year after that I can start looking at what five axis machine I'll get next.

Top Bottom