Lingual flange extensions

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I’m trying to do things more by the book. Or at least how I interpret the book. Heck, let’s be honest, I don’t even have a book. More like, what I remember from the book. I’m so used to docs wanting flanges cut down to nothing but I thought I’d send this one out and see what response I get. Like to hear opinions. I know it’s kinda tough to tell with pics but. 56D3267E-A265-4317-947A-A3BE2CE5B81B.jpeg 61AFFB9D-34E5-46A8-BAD1-91A47CB12607.jpeg 9D3038B2-365F-4CC9-9912-F787EC36E5EB.jpeg 4201ACFE-0439-4A86-878E-4F36538423D0.jpeg

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Dentist probably wants more land mass because pt was having trouble keeping denture in. I would just follow what they want and they can trim back chairside to keep the tongue from displacing. Don't be surprised at some point to see the denture come back to you full of temp softliner requesting a hard reline.

M

Mflo

Reaction score
More than likely those undercut areas on the deepest part of the lingual flanges will need to be adjusted to seat the denture. Path of insertion issue. That being said adjusting a long or undercut area is not a difficult thing .

Very nice denture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240112-234237.png
    Screenshot_20240112-234237.png
    678 KB · Views: 46
D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
More than likely those undercut areas on the deepest part of the lingual flanges will need to be adjusted to seat the denture. Path of insertion issue. That being said adjusting a long or undercut area is not a difficult thing .

Very nice denture.
I’d planned on discussing this one w doc before delivery time. I can always zip that flange down and repolish, 10 mins. Thanks for the compliment and advice.

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
It's a mylohyoid/muscular thing. I used to extend my custom trays to grab as much of the lingual wall as possible during the impression, thinking it would create more lateral stability and retention. I always adjusted the natural undercut out of it for insertion but when my patients kept complaining about it I realized it is the mylohyoid muscle flexing as they swallow which goes up and hits that exact area you circled. Definitely a nice denture and impression!

N

nickate

Reaction score
I use a pencil to indicate height of contour along lingual and scribe (buccal/facial too). Every time your pictured /F is inserted it may rub the tissue/ridge and create a sore/white spot.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I use a pencil to indicate height of contour along lingual and scribe (buccal/facial too). Every time your pictured /F is inserted it may rub the tissue/ridge and create a sore/white spot.
I do that on max dentures as well.