Lets Talk Computers!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It's time again we need to update all of our computers, been about six + years. We have about seven desktops in the lab running. From running the milling machine, scanners, printer, to the case entry and shipping. The last couple times I just built the computers for the lab, I know...how nerd of me. However, this time I don't have the time and want to look into the future and demands that our little lab will need. I've looked around, been trying to get a hold of Vince at computer store here, and looking at CybertronPC's for more of the scanner, milling PC's. Then haven't really looked at anywhere else for any of the less demanding PC's. Would love to hear your thoughts, concerns, ideas and/or places to look as well.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
It's time again we need to update all of our computers, been about six + years. We have about seven desktops in the lab running. From running the milling machine, scanners, printer, to the case entry and shipping. The last couple times I just built the computers for the lab, I know...how nerd of me. However, this time I don't have the time and want to look into the future and demands that our little lab will need. I've looked around, been trying to get a hold of Vince at computer store here, and looking at CybertronPC's for more of the scanner, milling PC's. Then haven't really looked at anywhere else for any of the less demanding PC's. Would love to hear your thoughts, concerns, ideas and/or places to look as well.
its not THAT time consuming to build a PC, but i feel you on the time restraints.
if you think you can sneak 30min here and there to assemble one, PCPartPicker.com will help ensure you are picking parts that fit with the case/build you are going for. you can save your builds and purchase parts as they go on sale, or prioritize based on which PC you need first.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
For the demanding tasks, I would still recommend building your own as most OEMs will charge hefty premiums for additional RAM, a beefier GPU, etc.
Might as well pick out your own and get exactly what you want.
Nowadays, a high-end Core i7 (especially the newer Coffee Lake generation) + 16GB RAM or more and a GTX1070 or more is all you need.
Make sure your OS lives on a SSD drive + regular hard drive for case archival (ideal would be a regularly backed-up server) and the rest is up to you.
I would select a power supply unit that has at least 20% headroom on top of your calculated power requirements, to allow it to work less hard (last longer) and allow for future expansion.

For the less demanding stations, my personal choice would be either Mac minis (you can install Windows if your software/workflow requires it) or iMacs if budget allows.
They are compact and silent, they look professional and are reliable machines. The cost is a little higher than a low-end PC, but they will last you longer and be more pleasant to use than the compromised hardware most econobox PCs use.

Mac mini is due for a refresh soon, so I would wait for the new model before committing.

I'll save the Apple-haters some time, I will not engage and argue with you, sorry!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We just use a local IT service to build to our specs. We have used them for years. We are supporting a local business and we get local support.
Building your own is not an overly difficult or time consuming task, but loading the OS and all the other headaches that go along with it, I'll pass.

My machine now is a 2014 i7 with 16gb ram and a video card I upgraded from a 1gb to a 2gb a year or so ago.
I can have umpteen instances of exocad open for designing/experimenting with work flows, Sx planning software, scanning software, photos, goofing around
online, etc. with zero lag until I open another instance of the planning software. CT scan files are huge. Next machine I spec to build will have larger video card ram.

There are a lot of workstations here, 22 I believe. Most have been swapped from traditional to Dell OptiPlex 3050 (around $500) since they don't require a lot of computational abilities and we just kept the original monitors and other peripherals.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Great points so far Gents...I was thinking of going with a i7 with 32gb ram and the 1070 video card. I know with the Cybertron-PC (link above),they allow you to pick pretty much every aspect of your pc...then put it all together including OS software. As 2th said, and Bob eluded too...I know I can build it, but I don't want too...any of you ever format 2TB harddrive, I'd rather practice swallowing razor blades. As for the support pc's, i like Apples idea...good stuff.

C

camposds

Reaction score
I use to build my own too. Now I just go with Dell precision work station with dual xeon processors. This line of workstations are built for cadcam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Great points so far Gents...I was thinking of going with a i7 with 32gb ram and the 1070 video card. I know with the Cybertron-PC (link above),they allow you to pick pretty much every aspect of your pc...then put it all together including OS software. As 2th said, and Bob eluded too...I know I can build it, but I don't want too...any of you ever format 2TB harddrive, I'd rather practice swallowing razor blades. As for the support pc's, i like Apples idea...good stuff.

I'm with you on the razor blade diet..... reformat a huge HD and then install the OS and service packs....updates......all the other software. Vollkommenauf

The Dell OptiPlex is a little bigger than the Mac mini, but you don't have to run bootcamp and it is SSD.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
ive been liking and leaning toward an iMac for the desktop solution outside of cad needs. i will probably go that route for my next office PC

G

grantoz

Reaction score
all the Zirkonzahn computers are dell very few problems.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
I've used Ibuypower a with customers quite a bit. It's a pretty darn affordable way to build your own without having to actually build it. Pick and choose exactly what you want for parts and components, for 3Shape servers or clients this is helpful because they have some pretty specific requirements (intel i7 and Nivida Geforce 10 series graphics ideally).

The only issue I could see in a dental lab is the computer looking a bit EXTREME. : )

https://www.ibuypower.com/

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
I'd make sure to review their warranty/service terms.

For example Dell overnights you parts if they are not working or will provide same day support to businesses.

I'd hate to go with a company that will have you ship them the equipment back so they can take their time to diagnose and then take their time to repair.

In this case it might be a good idea to go with a local place or with a larger company that can provide enterprise level support.

Unless of course you don't mind that or you are able to do your own troubleshooting/simple repairs.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
I'd make sure to review their warranty/service terms.

For example Dell overnights you parts if they are not working or will provide same day support to businesses.

I'd hate to go with a company that will have you ship them the equipment back so they can take their time to diagnose and then take their time to repair.

In this case it might be a good idea to go with a local place or with a larger company that can provide enterprise level support.

Unless of course you don't mind that or you are able to do your own troubleshooting/simple repairs.

While I totally agree with every point you made I'd like to expand on a few points.

I've worked with a LOT of computers personally and professionally and 95% of hardware failures is simply hard drives wearing out. The other 5% is hardware that was just dead on arrival, very rare. My point? Have a good system to back files up.

Any lab that depends on computers for lab management, 3D scanners, and CAM stations for milling machines should ALWAYS have an extra computer ready to go. You can get plenty of computing power for all the uses mentioned for about $1,500, it's silly not to have redundancy.

I'm not such a huge fan of Dell or HP, they can leave a lot to be desired and their PC's are really expensive for what they are.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm not such a huge fan of Dell or HP, they can leave a lot to be desired and their PC's are really expensive for what they are

Not sure if it still this way, but Dell and HP, etc. have proprietary parts like power supplies that can't be easily replaced by going to the local computer store and picking one up for a DIY repair.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Rob, I went with ibuypower also ....... good price with zero problems. My Exocad support recommended that company.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I need a design service to design my computer for 3shape specs. Send me a P.M. ...cuz I am computer stupid and I have no grand kids.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Any lab that depends on computers for lab management, 3D scanners, and CAM stations for milling machines should ALWAYS have an extra computer ready to go. You can get plenty of computing power for all the uses mentioned for about $1,500, it's silly not to have redundancy.
I think this is such an important paragraph...I had to say kudos to Sam!!!!