Left-Handed Equipment Problems

L

lil_leftee

Reaction score
Hi, I have some left-handed technical problems if anyone can help..

Alright, I'm a left-handed technician that's been having problems using right-handed equipment..

The biggest issues would be High-Speed Handpieces and Burs designed for right-handed people.. I've been working around it for a while by using the hand piece and cutting away from my direction. That's not to say that it's super comfortable -- it's a major pain to do it this way, I can't achieve maximum precision, but I get by minimally. However, now that I want to learn how to prep implants, I've come to a roadblock. I honestly can not cut them correctly with perfect precision using this method..

For the regular electric hand-piece, it was always fine for me since most have the ability to reverse direction, but for High-Speed Air based-Handpieces, I can't seem to find a left-handed version or an alternative solution to my problem. That also includes burs that are designed for right-hand.

I've been working in metal/crown bridge for 2-3 years now so I don't think trying to learn how to use it right-handed now would be something that's achievable at this point for me due to habit and comfort. I most definitely require left-handed equipment..

Additionally, if any of you fellow technicians out there are left-handed, may I ask how you go about dealing with these similar problems I face?

A

AL1

Reaction score
I know there are left handed dentists so there must be left handed high speeds.
I too am left handed but I dont use a high speed.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
I am left handed, but I guess I never thought about my high speed. As far as I know it is a regular hand piece, Shofu Air Z. When using the high speed I take off small amounts of material at a time. As far as implants go I actually use my electric hand piece. If I have to hold my bur vertically to the area I am working on then sometimes it catches, and zings around the work. I guess if my hand piece went in reverse it would just catch in the other direction, and the cutting edges on most of my burs are designed for one direction as well. Keep everything stable with both hands and thumbs and take smaller amounts of material off.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I just checked with my supply rep........There is no 'lab' HS handpieces that are on the market made for lefties.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Not sure about this, but would reversing the turbine flutes make a difference in direction? Doing this will require disassembly and reassembly however.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'm a "leftie" who can use either hand when I'm working...que the jokes now!

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
You can get a chuck adapter for your handpiece, then it will hold high speed fg burs. Most electrics go up to 60,000+rpms, try this.

Top Bottom