How to seat ready to use facets

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
I've seen and read that ready to use facets ( made by smile-line ) are very valuable time savers, I can't get them but, I made some my self ,
now the challenge is how to seat them while still able to manipulate them!!!!
and after that, how to fill wax in between!!!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you can get some rope utility wax, that you can use a small amount and move it around while you work, then lock it on with harder wax.

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
If you can get some rope utility wax, that you can use a small amount and move it around while you work, then lock it on with harder wax.
The only rope wax available is those we use for spruing , I still don't get it , I can't imagine how it can be moved around while I work?!!
and when locking with harder wax, I also can't imagine how to seal the facets without trapping gaps!!!
I wonder if there is some video to explain that .

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It is a very pliable red or white wax called utility wax
red-utility-wax.jpg

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
If you can get some bees wax that would work too...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The only rope wax available is those we use for spruing , I still don't get it , I can't imagine how it can be moved around while I work?!!
and when locking with harder wax, I also can't imagine how to seal the facets without trapping gaps!!!
I wonder if there is some video to explain that .

Adi, do you mean pre-formed pontics (facets)? You just take somewhere between a pea and a BB size of utility wax and stick it to the bottom of the pontic to hold it in place on the tissue ( as Affinity mentioned) and position it, move it on the model tissue area as needed, to hold it in place. White utility wax is a little softer than red, and may be more pliable and movable.

Locking it in, is meant concerning the pontic to the abutment wax ups, luteing those together as when you have it luted together, you take the utility wax off the bottom of the pontics and go from there. In luting the pontics together, I would use a wax made for that purpose, a "non memory" wax. Ivoclar has one that I routinely use, it's a soft light aqua colored wax made just for luting pontics to abutments. It used to be included with their pontic kit.

A

adl

Reaction score
I've seen and read that ready to use facets ( made by smile-line ) are very valuable time savers, I can't get them but, I made some my self ,
now the challenge is how to seat them while still able to manipulate them!!!!
and after that, how to fill wax in between!!!
Adi, check the video from xpdent on pro wax veneers. I use them all the time ,they work great

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
rkm to the rescue. Thank you :)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Those Canadians and their French.

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
The video doesn't contain any explanation on how-to work with it.
Utility wax is not available.
I found bee wax today, it's somewhat playable, not very comfortable with it , I'll check them furthermore tomorrow, I hope it burns without residues.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The video doesn't contain any explanation on how-to work with it.
Utility wax is not available.
I found bee wax today, it's somewhat playable, not very comfortable with it , I'll check them furthermore tomorrow, I hope it burns without residues.

You could make bees wax more softer if you melt it, then mix in a small amount of oil or petroleum jelly (like Vaseline)...

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
You could make bees wax more softer if you melt it, then mix in a small amount of oil or petroleum jelly (like Vaseline)...
Yes I did that once, it works, but I was advised not to use petroleum jelly because it leaves residues, especially if using it in e-max press work. So I left it behind.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
We coat our emax rings with Vaseline for easy separation...never had any issues...

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
That is good news, I'll try tomorrow, will let you know
Thanks

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
http://www.smileline.ch/en/products/silicone-moulds-anterior
This is the product I referred to.

I don't think it burns ash free, does it ?

Thanks for the link, Adi :) Yes, it will be ash free, as it's totally organic. I use Walgreens brand for my pressed veneers when working with them in building and firing and have no issue. With the K-Y brand, it would leave at times, a gray residue look, but it wasn't a ash issue. Try it once, as your burning out and pressing at higher temps. You just want to with a wet brush, lightly clean it out (wax pattern),so it doesn't impede the investment from intimately contacting the wax of the pattern, as it is water soluble

As far as Vaseline to hold your veneer wax patterns on, I wouldn't, but I believe what I and zero-zero are talking about is using it on the inside of the rings and formers, as you probably understood.

Last edited: