How to get better with carving Tooth anatomy

U

umichkrishna

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to fixed dental lab work and am looking for RESOURCES to get better at understanding tooth anatomy to be able to finish porcelain layered restorations and wax-ups. I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to fixed dental lab work and am looking for RESOURCES to get better at understanding tooth anatomy to be able to finish porcelain layered restorations and wax-ups. I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Rule #1. Don’t look at anything from England.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
PTC, or if you can find the old Ney green cover or gold brown covered anatomy paperback manual.

If you ever get some nice looking impression arches, pour them up a 2nd time, or duplicate a solid cast to study natural teeth. Sketch them on paper to pick up on what you're seeing and engraining it to your memory.

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Get your hands on one of these:

IMG_4479.jpg IMG_4480.jpg

Look for PK Thomas instruments, too. Youtube should have something too. Even on here we have some excellent threads on it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
The only way thats effective in my mind is to sit with a mentor who will check, correct and explain, over and over.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Like my dad used to do with me.

Tanaka, years ago, had big plaster casts of individual posteriors he used to sell. They came in a plastic case with custom cut foam that the teeth were stored in.

edit: It looks like he still sells them, Tanaka Big teeth.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Id like the opportunity to sit with Tanaka and correct their anatomy.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Like my dad used to do with me.

Tanaka, years ago, had big plaster casts of individual posteriors he used to sell. They came in a plastic case with custom cut foam that the teeth were stored in.

edit: It looks like he still sells them, Tanaka Big teeth.
They may still sell them, I got a set a couple years ago. Many, many moons ago, I learned with them and always wanted a set for myself... But as User mentioned, a mentor is way better...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's what I think at times about Lee Culps (especially Nondas V.) 3Shape tooth library...they can tend to get a little to fancy trying to make it their own signature library, and not natural enough.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's what I think at times about Lee Culps (especially Nondas V.) 3Shape tooth library...they can tend to get a little to fancy trying to make it their own signature library, and not natural enough.
I select the Lee Culp and the Matt Roberts library and let the auto workflow battle it out.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I have to admit that Lee's library is the one I use most often, but I do tweak it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I remember learning to wax with some book. Had colored dots where the contacts were supposed to be, not just one but 3. There were green contacts and red and I used wax powder to get everything just right.
Then later I learned that you can just throw that $hit out the window and make them way out of occlusion because that’s what most of them want.

Top Bottom