Full Contour Zirconia

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice words guys and Charles your a nut I love ya man, and yes RKM your right my photography skills SUCK :) I am too busy making money to actually care HAHAHAH.

Very little external stain on the bigger cases make up for not doing cutbacks, it also allows you not to be forced to hit a shade guide bang on perfect with out a bunch of snaggles around you to much things up :)

This case was done with Zeno-light and colorized strategically with ZZ acids stains, we are still using Zeno acid as well but I have been having fun with the ZZ and developing a brush count system that seems to be working. I can tell you I am NOT following ZZ suggestions.

Some tips that were pointed out very skillfully from Charles was more dumb luck than anything else. We do try and give a transition from light to dark on the line angles and from mesial to distill as the restorations go posteriorly. We use Zeno art module stains as well as there frit glaze and then we rubber wheel the line angles and felt wheel with tin oxide to get a special surface effect I like.

When you start with a shaded disk and you looking to give depth with Acid stains less is more a lot of times, just breaking up the monochromatic color and doing some light transitions is what make these things work with out having to layer a ton of glass to make them look good.

A normal case like this we would to a micro cutback just to layer incisal and some internal stain but this case was requested to be mono.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Thanks John, I guessed right, I thought you were using another liquid on enamels rather than just Zeno.
Haven't tried Zeno Art, should have ordered them 3+ years ago when I learned about Zenostar...
Its a shame Ivoclar discontinued selling Zenoflex with their 3d shades. At least they continued the ZenoArt kit with the 3d stains.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
actually I thought you took a good pic.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
Couple shots of a few units
520bddad88be5e9099337bbafaefd227.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice work John, the FCZ we've been getting back from the fixed lab looks like box-cars with cusps on top, the assistant came in the lab to have me adjust the crown he was trying to seat and the contact was actually concave! At least I now know that great looking FCZ are possible.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Very nice rkm, did you make this one for Al, this crown has his coloring identity :)

C

charles007

Reaction score
100% solid zenostar no glass

1917ef4320f2de1ee6d735494fcfab64.jpg

John, I fell in love with Zenostar at first sight years ago and followed DAL when they stopped using Zeno and started using and selling Dental Direkt's BioZ. I guess that was aprox 3 years ago ? In the past several years there have been new and improved zirconia's and coloring liquids since both us and Jason hopped aboard the Zenostar train. Now we have blended zirconia's, pre-colored, and the new generation of Imagine/CubeX zirconia that came out this year.

Question" you are the oldest user that I know of that still uses Zenostar and have refined your coloring techniques and added in another coloring liquid into the formula. How would you compare Zenostar to the newer zirconia's ?
How you tried these newer materials or seen other labs crowns using these newer materials ?
Having used and tried a lot of brands of zirconia over the years, I've seen good brands of zirconia look very nice and ugly, and less well know zirconia's look good. You must use a good materials to get nice results but techniques are key to success with any brand of zirconia. Having said that, the newer zirconia's like Imagine and CubeX are in a different league.
And you say ?

Last edited:
AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Very nice rkm, did you make this one for Al, this crown has his coloring identity :)

Thanks,Mr. 007. I followed the colour scan and the preprep scan. I just added a rest prep and guide plane for the fun of it.

S

skidoc

Reaction score
At the IDS Dr. Tanaka intoduced a new system for oainting pre-sintered FCZ . It is not acid based and they claim it penetrates better than acid based liquids . I saw some samples and I was amazed . They were done by a very talented technician , Akito Kani , and they looked like layered . Plus with this system , etching of zirconia is possible . At least this is what they claim . I ordered a sample kit for A2 , and when I get it I will post some pics .

Anyone here more about this etch able zirc? That would be a game changer

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Case returned shade too light match 4m1 LOL
fd70da87b0327269b9f538ea00ec0158.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
lol is right, John. That crown is "perfect". If anything, the crown has just a bit more ging. chroma, which is what I try for in the posteriors. Nice looking contour and unit.

What did you use on that unit?

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
lol is right, John. That crown is "perfect". If anything, the crown has just a bit more ging. chroma, which is what I try for in the posteriors. Nice looking contour and unit.

What did you use on that unit?

Zenostar, all Wieland product start to finish.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
John,just write 4M1 on the buccal of the crown with a sharpie.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Funny, and Agree. Or, just send it back as is, only to get the phone call from the Dr, "whatever you did was perfect, thank you, John" ;)

Edit: Or, maybe the Dr's autoclaved or sterilized the snot out of their 4M1 tab and it now look like a 3M1 o_O Are those guides plastic or porcelain?

Last edited:
tomas

tomas

Sponsors
Reaction score
i do not have any idea with this case , because its perfect .

well done

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe it changes in the mouth like these pics show. The shade disappeared.

image.jpeg

C

charles007

Reaction score
Everyone noticing how much better looking FCZ is now and in photographs compared to 3+ years ago...
Boy, we all put out some awful looking FCZ 5 years ago for sure... stinky white -3d OMO OCCLUSALS Laugh