Formlabs 2 models

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I use the grey resin because the model resin is garbage. We have been having issues with models being consistently accurate. Suggestions?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I use the grey resin because the model resin is garbage. We have been having issues with models being consistently accurate. Suggestions?

What about the model resin is bad for you? We have started using it and running tests, running into issues perhaps this might be a reason!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
What about the model resin is bad for you? We have started using it and running tests, running into issues perhaps this might be a reason!
.... We are not having consistent results. Some crowns rock on preps even when taken out of contact. Holes for articulation don't fit properly.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
.... We are not having consistent results. Some crowns rock on preps even when taken out of contact. Holes for articulation don't fit properly.

Yeah that seems to be the issue with us also, having fit issues with dies, inconsistencies all around, duplicate prints, different results. Kind of scratching our heads on what it could be. Might just be the printers.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be the issue with us also, having fit issues with dies, inconsistencies all around, duplicate prints, different results. Kind of scratching our heads on what it could be. Might just be the printers.
I don't make removable dies way to much pain. I make a solid model and a separate die for margins.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I don't make removable dies way to much pain. I make a solid model and a separate die for margins.

That's what i have been leaning towards trying, seems way easier than wrangling this into some semblance of consistency.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That's what i have been leaning towards trying, seems way easier than wrangling this into some semblance of consistency.
There is always a support you have to cut away or some pooling of material, headache, but still easier than making traditional models. Though stone models done well are far superior to work on imo.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
There is always a support you have to cut away or some pooling of material, headache, but still easier than making traditional models. Though stone models done well are far superior to work on imo.

Yeah exactly, and well done stone is the standard at which we are trying to measure against... leads to headache after headache, when 1 or 2 prints work well but the recipe does not work with the next print. Might have to try to sell everyone on doing the separate die strategy.

Does the Grey material go down to 25 microns? Or are you printing it at 50?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Yeah exactly, and well done stone is the standard at which we are trying to measure against... leads to headache after headache, when 1 or 2 prints work well but the recipe does not work with the next print. Might have to try to sell everyone on doing the separate die strategy.

Does the Grey material go down to 25 microns? Or are you printing it at 50?
I think it is rated for 25 but I print at 50 because it would take too long. If we were larger volume i would do a die print at 25 and models at 50. Also i think that accuracy is mainly measured in the Z axis not xyz axes.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I think it is rated for 25 but I print at 50 because it would take too long. If we were larger volume i would do a die print at 25 and models at 50. Also i think that accuracy is mainly measured in the Z axis not xyz axes.

Yeah that's essentially what we do for larger print days, models at 50 dies at 25, since even 1 die at 25 takes like 5 or 6 hours...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Yeah that's essentially what we do for larger print days, models at 50 dies at 25, since even 1 die at 25 takes like 5 or 6 hours...
5 hours for one die but only 5 hours 10 min for two or three dies.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
5 hours for one die but only 5 hours 10 min for two or three dies.

Yeah time doesn't increase a lot with adding more, but when i was printing full arch models with dies i was getting over 20h prints...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hold the phone. It takes you 5 hours to print a single die?.....
It all depends on height. If you make it short 3 or 4 hours if you lay it on its side you can get it done in an hour. Laying a die on its side doesn't seem wise to me.

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
It all depends on height. If you make it short 3 or 4 hours if you lay it on its side you can get it done in an hour. Laying a die on its side doesn't seem wise to me.
Yikes. That is freaking crazy. You need an Asiga ;)

P

Pictodent-SW18

Reaction score
My 2 cents:
I use Model Resin on Form 2, only printing hollow models with margin ditch and extra dies. I position the models on the build plate in a way that the important bits (prep/adjacent contacts) are as close to the middle as possible.
Recently I started to scan and check the models against the IO scan data. In terms of contacts I'm off by 30-70 microns in many cases. On the other hand, we haven't got complaints about the fit so we'll ride this out for the time being.
I have sent one of our VATs to Germany to have the acrylic window replaced with coated glass. Will test soon and report.