Formlabs 2 models

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Sorry to be blunt, but the Form2 is a good entry-level printer to get started, but it simply doesn’t have the precision and repeatability required for precision dental work.
We should know, we’ve got 2!

Get yourself a recent DLP printerans you’ll never look back. The Form2 can be used for work that requires less precision like antagonists or study models...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Form's tech is like shining a flashlight on the wall in a dark room. If it isn't shining at 90 degrees from the wall it makes an ovoid spot of light impact.

With these printers you get smooth outstides, but they will be always inconsistent as the ovoids' ovoidity is constantly changing.

If you ever saw the inside of a Nintendo Virtual Boy with the red laser and mirror that was used to draw the image, this is that same technology. Difference is the VB had an under 2 inch screen corner to corner. These have comparitively massive screens the resin is atop and the distance of throw makes a difference.

If you have a laser pointer try it yourself, it becomes perceptible to the unaided eye if you do it from across a large enough room and point to one corner from the other.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Form's tech is like shining a flashlight on the wall in a dark room. If it isn't shining at 90 degrees from the wall it makes an ovoid spot of light impact.

With these printers you get smooth outstides, but they will be always inconsistent as the ovoids' ovoidity is constantly changing.

If you ever saw the inside of a Nintendo Virtual Boy with the red laser and mirror that was used to draw the image, this is that same technology. Difference is the VB had an under 2 inch screen corner to corner. These have comparitively massive screens the resin is atop and the distance of throw makes a difference.

If you have a laser pointer try it yourself, it becomes perceptible to the unaided eye if you do it from across a large enough room and point to one corner from the other.
Interesting, I assumed the light head moved around.

B

billydte

Reaction score
We have had 3D systems, Cara print, Formlabs and now we have a Carbon. Carbon is the only one that gives me confidence in my models. Happy to print for you if you are interested.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
the asiga has been brilliant we have had it for 18 months now it gets used all day everyday models take 1hour 15 mins at 50 microns at 100 microns they take 50 minutes these are full arch models .they dont loose accuracy at the edge of the build plate either. the system is open so you can use all brands of resin. their model resin is brilliant and a good price . i used the gc temp resin for a full arch screw retained bridge try in 2 days ago . we just entered the asiga parameters for this resin it printed 1st go perfect fit asiga has this feature on their website so anytime you want to use a different material asiga has already worked out the setting for you.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
the asiga has been brilliant we have had it for 18 months now it gets used all day everyday models take 1hour 15 mins at 50 microns at 100 microns they take 50 minutes these are full arch models .they dont loose accuracy at the edge of the build plate either. the system is open so you can use all brands of resin. their model resin is brilliant and a good price . i used the gc temp resin for a full arch screw retained bridge try in 2 days ago . we just entered the asiga parameters for this resin it printed 1st go perfect fit asiga has this feature on their website so anytime you want to use a different material asiga has already worked out the setting for you.

Thats good to know, We can use the form labs without issue for other stuff but if we want to start using our printers for more accurate work it might be worth looking into Asiga printers. Been hearing nothing but good remarks about em.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Weird, we find the models are more than accurate for fixed using Formslab. Took us awhile to get there but we do a pant load of them everyday. To be honest, I'm not sure we will go away from Formslab until and if we are producing enough to justify the ROI on a Carbon. I know the Kara (sp?) from Kulzer printer is pretty nice too...we really like the denture software that is built-into this system. I know printed dentures are uglier than my first girlfriend but I think this would work good for some immediate temporary dentures. I think the company that figures out how to print 'acrylic', that's when you will see the removable shift that way. Till then analog still rules in that department.

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
Just wait until the new Asiga Pro4K comes out at the end of the year. Carbon who??

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Weird, we find the models are more than accurate for fixed using Formslab. Took us awhile to get there but we do a pant load of them everyday. To be honest, I'm not sure we will go away from Formslab until and if we are producing enough to justify the ROI on a Carbon. I know the Kara (sp?) from Kulzer printer is pretty nice too...we really like the denture software that is built-into this system. I know printed dentures are uglier than my first girlfriend but I think this would work good for some immediate temporary dentures. I think the company that figures out how to print 'acrylic', that's when you will see the removable shift that way. Till then analog still rules in that department.
Or print something acrylic compatible.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Had my NextDent 5100 for a year now . 30/40 minutes to print models No problem with model accuracy. (50 microns). IOS implant models have been accurate as well . 20 minutes to print this SR provisional

Yeah , it’s a closed system but it works.
The new Asiga looks interesting too...

Attachments

• CB9006BC-4188-47E4-A086-66183DCB6314.jpeg
    CB9006BC-4188-47E4-A086-66183DCB6314.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 36
  • EA53E091-D87E-4D76-9BD7-B0B51AD59717.jpeg
    EA53E091-D87E-4D76-9BD7-B0B51AD59717.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How long did it take to get the needs of the system dialed in on where and how to put stuff?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
How long did it take to get the needs of the system dialed in on where and how to put stuff?
About six months to be honest. We had a bad printer in the midst of those six months that had to be returned. We just kept at it though and now we get consistent results and they are nice (Using Exocad Matera Model Builder). I think the biggest issue was Formslab themselves going in online doing updates and resetting defaults. We finally just locked them out because I can barely control what we do, let alone what they do on their end without my knowledge. Things been going great for over a year now and ordered a second one last week to keep up. I don't use their resin either, we tested a pant load and found one that is economical and stable enough for consistent fixed cases.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
ive seen the new asiga 4k pro its a beast, also their resin they are bringing out for denture teeth and pink base looks very promising .

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
ive seen the new asiga 4k pro its a beast, also their resin they are bringing out for denture teeth and pink base looks very promising .
Yeah man! This printer is a game changer.

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
.When you say " game changer" it sounds like every other game changer.

We all have a room full of dusty " game changers'.
Don't knock it 'till you try it. Or at least see it.

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
.When you say " game changer" it sounds like every other game changer.

We all have a room full of dusty " game changers'.
Let's take a poll and see how many Asiga Maxes are sitting in a dusty room being unused. LOL

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Don't knock it 'till you try it. Or at least see it.
I'm not knocking it.I look forward to new products and equipment.
It's "game changer", moving forward, future of dentistry that's getting old.