Formlabs 2 3D Printer?

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Trios spits out a. 3oxz files that includes 90% of the above information within the file. No need for communicate or inbox to get this info.

Its a bit of a pain for the dentist to export individual stl files for each case. The. 3oxz will include all the stl files in one file.

Oh, interesting. Good to know. So if you can make exporting and sending that file as easy as possible you got a low-cost winning situation for everyone. : )

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Does Exocad open .3oxz files?

Or is there another way to open that file?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

Yes. If you have older version of exocad then it will need to be configured with an xml settings file edit. If newer, it should be configured from the factory.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I'm trying to do everything I can to avoid buying 3shape.

But the fact that clients can't just click a button to send is proving to be to much work for some offices.

Sadly , People like what's easy.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I'm trying to do everything I can to avoid buying 3shape.

But the fact that clients can't just click a button to send is proving to be to much work for some offices.

Sadly , People like what's easy.

Before digital they could be bothered to pour models, write out lab slips etc. Package the jobs to be sent out. And now it's Unbelievable that they can't be bothered to click a few mouse buttons.

Set up a dropbox accnt for them. Should be super easy.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score

If you can. Get the generic version of Exocad. The branded versions are usually missing a few things.

All exocads can open. 3oxz files no matter which version you get.

If you get the .3oxz file and don't have the trios import button, change the file extension to ".zip" and unzip it and all the files will be there for you to start designing.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
As I originally stated, I am looking to print models as I have more Trios clients coming on. I have Preciso(exocad) and don't have model builder. My question, can I buy the 3shape software for models and designing crowns and implants reasonably? Is the Forms gonna be capable of all my printing needs...models, dies, surgical guides, splints?? Thanks Again!

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
As I originally stated, I am looking to print models as I have more Trios clients coming on. I have Preciso(exocad) and don't have model builder. My question, can I buy the 3shape software for models and designing crowns and implants reasonably? Is the Forms gonna be capable of all my printing needs...models, dies, surgical guides, splints?? Thanks Again!

The Form 2 can print models, with dies or solid, surgical guides, and splints no problem. We have model settings and libraries for both ExoCAD and 3Shape with pretty detailed instructions to make sure your dies are fitting and snap into place. I always recommend getting the pro service plan with the printer so you get a one on one training and access to our phone support.

3Shape stand-alone software is pretty expensive. Dental Designer Premium is around 6k, model builder TRIOS (only does TRIOS models, can be upgraded to the full version) is about 2k, and the custom abutment module is another 2k. So, roughly, around 10k. It might be worth checking out 3Shape complete restorative which has all the 3Shape modules; model builder TRIOS and stl, abutment and bar module (the bar mod allows the design of screw-retained bridges),RPD, and dentures (no ortho or implant studio) it's about 12k... Please keep in mind these prices are rough estimates, I don't sell 3Shape.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score

If you already have Exocad why have the need for 3shape? Just buy the model creator module for Exocad.

In my opinion, the form 2 is okay for surgical guides and splints. For c&b, it really depends on how you use the models and dies. I pretty much use the prints to just send out the jobs with for all my zr work. Dentists are used to receiving some kind of models with their crowns. The accuracy and consistancy of the form 2 prints is questionable. I wouldn't use the printed models and dies as your master model.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Funny as earlier in this post the Forms 2 did well in the test group, if I'm not mistaken it was virtually as goods as the 16-20K printers, just slower?? I need a printer for models for anterior cases, Gold work and possibly implants. The reason for the 3shape is it opens some other options and since I don't have model creator in exo I believe inbox to 3shape models works easier?? In addition I could also get original solutions for implants in 3Shape, not available in Exo. I need another work station for receiving scans and creating models so I'm looking at all options. Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it!

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
If you already have Exocad why have the need for 3shape? Just buy the model creator module for Exocad.

In my opinion, the form 2 is okay for surgical guides and splints. For c&b, it really depends on how you use the models and dies. I pretty much use the prints to just send out the jobs with for all my zr work. Dentists are used to receiving some kind of models with their crowns. The accuracy and consistancy of the form 2 prints is questionable. I wouldn't use the printed models and dies as your master model.

That's fair, I think. You have to do what works for your customers.

From our internal testing and two external large lab groups testing the Form 2 was as accurate or more accurate than every 3D printer being sold into dental, only in a few cases, and not all, were the best printers (80k+) on the market just a hair better. Pretty impressive for a sub 5k 3D printer. I think what we see inconsistency and accuracy is a 3D printing challenge more than a Formlabs one. That's the exciting part about dental, every case, every part, and everyone's expectations are different.

I recommend anyone looking to send a test file or has a Form 2 looking to improve workflow or consistency check our support page out, it's pretty helpful: https://support.formlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000673010

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Ohhhhh. I like this file. What material do you want it printed in? (link) I'll see if I can get it done this week between things. Also, DM me your address.
best lowest deviation you have !! just upload stl via pm shipping to Germany is a bit long to much could happen i like data so STL is ok . THX

maybe V 2 is that time the best you have ??

Last edited:
Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
best lowest deviation you have !! just upload stl via pm shipping to Germany is a bit long to much could happen i like data so STL is ok . THX

maybe V 2 is that time the best you have ??

Print it, scan it, and send you the file. Got it.

D

dentallabguy1996

Reaction score
Print it, scan it, and send you the file. Got it.
Hi Wain,

Is there anyway I can also send you a sample of impressions that I want printed? I'm looking to buy the Form 2 or Form 3 for our office but I can't seem to find much information out there on the accuracy of this thing besides what y'all provide.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
everyone that i know who purchased a formlab printer now uses asiga. check out asiga before you buy as formlab printer,

D

dentallabguy1996

Reaction score
it’s significantly more expensive though, and we’re only going to use it to print dental models. Is formlabs still good for that?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Deffinitely get Asiga. I am using form2 only for waxup models until the machine dies and it is not far away :D

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
We are looking at purchasing a couple 3D printers and another owner sent me info on the Formlabs 2 printer.
It has a print platform large enough for full arch models and has open software. Its priced at $3500, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with it?
We are currently using a Bego VARSEO, but can only get quadrants because of the size limit of the platform.
www.formlabs.com
The printer is inexpensive but the resin Cartridges are not.