Formlabs 2 3D Printer?

Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score
We are looking at purchasing a couple 3D printers and another owner sent me info on the Formlabs 2 printer.
It has a print platform large enough for full arch models and has open software. Its priced at $3500, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with it?
We are currently using a Bego VARSEO, but can only get quadrants because of the size limit of the platform.
www.formlabs.com

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
check out the facebook page.

I'm not sure it will hold up to daily abuse in the lab.
I'm seeing some posts on FB by surgeons printing guides that are having issues.
I'm not dissing it but I would want to know how long this thing will last.

You can request a sample model and guide from them. It looks good but the teeth on the model snapped off when I removed the guide.
However I'm sure the models would be ok for c&b work.

Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score
check out the facebook page.

I'm not sure it will hold up to daily abuse in the lab.
I'm seeing some posts on FB by surgeons printing guides that are having issues.
I'm not dissing it but I would want to know how long this thing will last.

You can request a sample model and guide from them. It looks good but the teeth on the model snapped off when I removed the guide.
However I'm sure the models would be ok for c&b work.
You can request a sample model and guide from them.
Yeah, we talked with them and they asked us to send them an STL file to print; we'll see what it looks like.
They also said that they have a software update coming out that will cut the print time by 50%. (and the checks in the mail, etc o_O)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what kind of model did you send? a hollow one or a closed one? when it gets sent back run it through a bandsaw so you can see what has been done internally.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
We recently purchased a Form2 printer to cover some areas our big main printers (Eden260vs) cant, due to material limitations or design. As far as our testing has gone we have used the DentalSG material and the castable material with relative success, printing surgical guides, cast partials, and a few crowns but for metal and Emax. As far as C&B models, they should provided a decent model, compared to the BEGO which we also looking at getting the accuracy is slightly better, at 50micron layers for our SG material and 25microns with the castable.

I would definitely say it is seriously considering because with the price tag so low it is really cheap to try and if it doesnt work for what you want, you can easily adapt it for another use as the material range is pretty extensive, plus it is open source so you can use non-Formlabs materials. (Use at your own risk)

Hope it helps, if you have any questions I will do my best to answer if possible.

Z

zahni

Reaction score
There is a group on Facebook regarding the formlabs printer. Anyone has experience with a moonray printer. I've seen that there will be a version for dental use coming soon. Quality and speed of prints supposed to be better than form 2. Anyone has done some test regarding the dimension accuracy?

Gesendet von meinem F3112 mit Tapatalk

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
As always guys z axis steps does not always mean the prints are accurate. All it will mean the layers are less easy to see. The true test is dimensional accuracy of prints.
I am going to run a few test over the next few weeks. We are running digital wax up models in the system which are great! But if i put on removable die models the consistency is so far not amazing. The research, tech and software that 3D Systems, Envisiontec have put into their SLA systems have taken years of the best engineers in the world to achieve. Time will tell and i will share results.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a rough idea how many models (simple horse shoe arch) for essix / clear aligners, can be made in one print run and also how long and the rough cost per model on the Formlabs 2?

I'm looking at 3D printers but have no hands on experience as we outsource all of our printing at the moment.

Not wanting to print all of our own models in house but just to give us some control on rush jobs.......or that get left on the shelf and the files forgotten about;)

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a rough idea how many models (simple horse shoe arch) for essix / clear aligners, can be made in one print run and also how long and the rough cost per model on the Formlabs 2?

I'm looking at 3D printers but have no hands on experience as we outsource all of our printing at the moment.

Not wanting to print all of our own models in house but just to give us some control on rush jobs.......or that get left on the shelf and the files forgotten about;)

I have not yet printed models for our aligners/essixs on the Form2 as we mostly print on our bigger eden printers, however I can place roughly 4-5 models per tray, depending on the size and orientation your could fit more. Placing the models completely vertical would allow you to probably print around 8-10 but you are going to have less structural support and your chances of failure is higher. Placing them flat is ideal and thats about 4 models.

I don't have an exact cost breakdown of material cost unfortunately but I cant expect it to be more than 10-15$ straight material cost, as that seems to be a strong average on arch models. Don't quote me on this, it is just a rough estimate.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I have not yet printed models for our aligners/essixs on the Form2 as we mostly print on our bigger eden printers, however I can place roughly 4-5 models per tray, depending on the size and orientation your could fit more. Placing the models completely vertical would allow you to probably print around 8-10 but you are going to have less structural support and your chances of failure is higher. Placing them flat is ideal and thats about 4 models.

I don't have an exact cost breakdown of material cost unfortunately but I cant expect it to be more than 10-15$ straight material cost, as that seems to be a strong average on arch models. Don't quote me on this, it is just a rough estimate.

Many thanks for your reply. I think it would be workable if we could get about 5 models per print run......I would love a bigger printer but as always cost is a big sticking point.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. I think it would be workable if we could get about 5 models per print run......I would love a bigger printer but as always cost is a big sticking point.

Yeah for sure the price tag is very heavy, it works great if you have the volume, also as far as placement I don't see a problem getting 5 honesty, with some work on placement and keeping the models trimmed and not overly large you should be able to interlock them for ideal placement. Even diagonal tilting could aid in the placement, freeing up some space, while still holding structural integrity with the sprues.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
What software are you using to place your files for print? and is it a fairly quick process?

I have a small lab which is partly the reason we outsource so as to free up some time but as I said earlier, buying our own printer is more about giving us options for cases we don't have to send out.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
What software are you using to place your files for print? and is it a fairly quick process?

I have a small lab which is partly the reason we outsource so as to free up some time but as I said earlier, buying our own printer is more about giving us options for cases we don't have to send out.

We use the FormLabs software called Preform, its super easy to use, just import the file and you have free control on rotation and can even manually sprue the object in the build tray. I would highly reccomend the Form2, especially if your just starting to think of getting into 3D printing your own stuff. The printer is a really cheap alternative to try and worst comes to worst you will be able to use it for something in your lab, at $3500 tag for the quality you get it is a steal. We started with the big Eden printers and we got one of these simply because of the freedom of material, you have a lot of choices with the Form2 in materials.

It doesnt compete with the big printers in terms of volume and speed, but for a printer of this cost it is a great addition to any lab, and cheap to try.

Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score
Got our sample print back from FormLab. This was our STL file.

Attachments

• 20170124_091300.jpg
    20170124_091300.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 230
Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score
Another view.

Attachments

• 20170124_091305.jpg
    20170124_091305.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20170124_091315.jpg
    20170124_091315.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 209
  • 20170124_091300.jpg
    20170124_091300.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 208
LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Another view.

What are your thoughts on it? We have been playing with trying to print our own C&B models with out big printer and still not a lot of success the margins where slightly off, and the fit of the dyes in the models where varied at best.

Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score
This was done at the .50 mic....I would've expected a little sharper detail. They say they can print in .25 mic...that might be better for dies and use the .50 for full arch removable models.
The big thing is the price. We paid 10 times the cost of this printer for one that can only print quadrants. The last pic shows the model on an outline of the size of the print platform of the FormLab2.
I think we'll just have to get one and see. Maybe when we get out tax returns!:)

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
This was done at the .50 mic....I would've expected a little sharper detail. They say they can print in .25 mic...that might be better for dies and use the .50 for full arch removable models.
The big thing is the price. We paid 10 times the cost of this printer for one that can only print quadrants. The last pic shows the model on an outline of the size of the print platform of the FormLab2.
I think we'll just have to get one and see. Maybe when we get out tax returns!:)

See that was our big issue with BEGO printer, nothing against them it is as I'm sure a great printer and does what it is intended to do, but when we were looking at the BEGO or Formlabs it was a no brainer, $35,000 for max 30-50 micron layers, or $3500 for 25 micron layer. Its no wonder when BEGO came to do a presentation here I was baffled at the price tag after doing my own research into Formlabs prior, by sheer coincidence.

I think i might have to test out the model material with our dies, I have a cartridge but havent yet decided to try it out as of yet, surgical guides and cast partials have been at the foremost of our goals as of late so we pushed our model and die printing to the side.