Flexible Partials

T

Tonkster

Reaction score
Question:

Is there a reliable flexible material other than Valplast that is not an injection type of material?

I Am trying to offer this service to my clients if possible.

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Flexident from Talladium

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
How long do you want the partial to last? Fricke has vitacrilic soft, Astron has the Clearsplint material in 3 pink as well as clear, Tthe CMP IMPAC can be used & comes in pink, Variflex from Greatlakes, Keystone has a material I have heard of VERSACRYL, & Dental Resourses had a system bulky & difficult. I use the Fricke & Astron as flippers but will usually use wire clasps with them. I have tried the Fricke with clear clasp & it is working but only for 18mo at this time (it's a friend giving me feedback). The advantage I have seen is easier for insertion but I do not believe yet that they have a long life maybe 2 years? I am not a fan of Valplast (1953 technology) although I do other injection nylon & acetal partials. Flexident is a injected nylon material.

Last edited:
T

Tonkster

Reaction score
How long do you want the partial to last? Fricke has vitacrilic soft, Astron has the Clearsplint material in 3 pink as well as clear, Tthe CMP IMPAC can be used & comes in pink, Variflex from Greatlakes, Keystone has a material I have heard of VERSACRYL, & Dental Resourses had a system bulky & difficult. I use the Fricke & Astron as flippers but will usually use wire clasps with them. I have tried the Fricke with clear clasp & it is working but only for 18mo at this time (it's a friend giving me feedback). The advantage I have seen is easier for insertion but I do not believe yet that they have a long life maybe 2 years? I am not a fan of Valplast (1953 technology) although I do other injection nylon & acetal partials. Flexident is a injected nylon material.

Why do you use wrought wires, for addd retention. What about the memory for the Fricke and Astron acrylics. Are they pretty reliable?

I will look into these products next week.

Thanks

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Why do you use wrought wires, for addd retention. What about the memory for the Fricke and Astron acrylics. Are they pretty reliable?

I will look into these products next week.

The Astron & Fricke R pretty stain resistant good point. Bad point especially on lower I have noticed "creep" the distal flanges tend to bend in, now with hot water U can stretch them out and they stay for a while but with wrought wire clasps they can be held out as well as most dentists have lots of practice to tighten wire. And as for the teeth in any flexible material the bond is well I put diatorics in, I just hate it if a tooth loosens. I also put little eyeloops on the end of clasp if I don't use a preform with a rest.

G

gaia

Reaction score
i purchased a variflex mouthguard from my dentist. i am concerned that sleeping with plastic in my mouth is harmful to my health. i tried to find information on what variflex is and was not able to retrieve anything. i was wondering if this type of plastic contains pcb (PolyChlorinatedBiphenyl's). any help is appreciated
thank you

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
i purchased a variflex mouthguard from my dentist. i am concerned that sleeping with plastic in my mouth is harmful to my health. i tried to find information on what variflex is and was not able to retrieve anything. i was wondering if this type of plastic contains pcb (PolyChlorinatedBiphenyl's). any help is appreciated
Variflex is from a comapany called Great lakes Variflex™ 1 lb. Kit Heat Softening Acrylic - Great Lakes Orthodontics
they don't list their msds Greatlakes is a very reputable company I would believe their product safe, personally I do not care for the smell when working with it. It is an ethyl-methacrylate formula do not soak it in mouth wash or clean with alcohol containing solutions, use a soft brush & dish soap warm to hot water, toothpaste has abrasives that will dull the appearance. I would expect up to 2 years of service from this material possibly longer and if you really crush on it shorter, if U play with it you can break it. It is advertised in trad journals as PCB free, it is made in the usa.

Last edited:
D

Daniela

Reaction score
I like Proflex, I works well for me.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
AJ,

Have you not had trouble with breakage using these materials? We've tried both Astron & Fricke's Vitacrilic soft and for us it has been a huge disaster. Partials seems to be great for 3 months + / - then start breaking like crazy. I can't tell you how many of these partials I've remade in Duraflex material in the past 8 months or so. At first we would repair them it's easy enough but a month later the partials would come back broke somewhere else. We are now telling our dr's if they have a broke partial come in that's less then 1 year old we'll remake it in a new material for free if it's older then 1 yr it's half price. Looking forward to yours or any others feedback. Thanks....

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
AJ,

Have you not had trouble with breakage using these materials? We've tried both Astron & Fricke's Vitacrilic soft and for us it has been a huge disaster. Partials seems to be great for 3 months + / - then start breaking like crazy. I can't tell you how many of these partials I've remade in Duraflex material in the past 8 months or so. At first we would repair them it's easy enough but a month later the partials would come back broke somewhere else. We are now telling our dr's if they have a broke partial come in that's less then 1 year old we'll remake it in a new material for free if it's older then 1 yr it's half price. Looking forward to yours or any others feedback. Thanks....

As I stated how long does it need to last for flex partials I use Duraflex, or TCS, & sometimes Flexite.
for a comfortable flipper holding space for an implant the other materials hold a place for me. The Astron pink I figure up to a year, the one others I would hold the same. But go figure for a brux CLEARSplint is pretty much the same material but I have repaired some that are 10+ years old.
For a build a denture I use my regular denture material, with wire clasps, flexible (mostly nylon) you really can not add to. When possible I try to not do things that I feel hi probability of failure. Unlike the C&B brothers here we see our work for repairs, relines ect, always try to do something U will still be proud to see whenit comes back. AJ.

Last edited:
Top Bottom