fast sintering

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 90 minute fast sintering cycle for metoxit/vita zirconia blocks?

I've emailed metoxit and vita for information but haven't heard from them yet. Does anyone have the parameters for fast sintering these blocks?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have heard of this crazy dude on the East coast that does whacky things with sintering.

Like....

Starting a cycle in a regular C&B burn-out oven pre heated to 400F with the door cracked for a few minutes, then close door and crank up heat.

Then, have a sencond or even a third oven preheated to various temps.

I, I mean, this dude will also have a Zirconia sint3ering oven preheated to well over 1000C and on "hold", but then drop the temp to 750C by cutting circuit for a few minutes and opens the door and swaps the trays into the final oven, then closes circuit again and resumes the rapid cycle on sintering oven. (Oven races back up fast!)

By heat soaking the insulating material to 1000C+ and then dropping to "just safe?" 750C...the oven re-heats much faster and hits high temp sooner than you might think. The oven is fully programable.

I have heard of 2hr sintering times from Green state to UPS drop box before. No Microwave was used. No animals were harmed.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This dude calls it...."Oven Jumping"

Using multiple ovens at different "stages"

It's faster than waiting for a single oven.

I, I mean he also uses this technique for investment burnout for casting.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
oh... well, the newer ovens are built to sinter in 90 minutes... I was wondering if the parameters are similar for the different zirconia brands.

C

charles007

Reaction score
The ovens are made to sinter in 90 minutes, how bout the zirconia.... Is it made any differently to be able to sinter in 90 minutes ?
I will let other labs be the testers

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
We're using the Duotron Pro ovens over here. They have a 2 hr cycle which works really well. We've been doing full crowns and single copings in there for a few months with stellar results.

N

Naomi

Reaction score
I have chatted to some supplier at IDS (not the crazy dude from the East coast). He told me that there are only a few zr materials on the market that can handle fast sintering. If i am not mistaken the metoxid material were mentioned here. According to this guy, who was selling fast sintering furnaces, not all materials can handle these fast cycles, although most manufactures tells you it can. His advice was to chat to the manufacturer of the furnace, asking which material can truly handle these cycles.

C

charles007

Reaction score
We're using the Duotron Pro ovens over here. They have a 2 hr cycle which works really well. We've been doing full crowns and single copings in there for a few months with stellar results.

Understanding sintering zirconia is over my payscale and most of the techs out there. Have there been any long term studies on fast sintering ? don't think so.

I love the idea a of a sameday crown with fast sintering, just don't ask me to warranty a crown like that.. For that reason, I'll pass for now.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
It would be helpful to know which brands can be fast sintered. It's been a frustrating process trying to find information on it.

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
I don't think there is any reason to run ;)

I think this will be the norm in the next year or two. We are working with a University right now and we'll have some info after the summer regarding fast sintered zirconia.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"His advice was to chat to the manufacturer of the furnace, asking which material can truly handle these cycles."

Oh please, the manufacturer wants to sell its furnaces, you really think there gonna tell you that theres only x number of zirconias that work.

Of course there not, there gonna tell you most work great and keep there fingers crossed.

Until theres some legitimate published data to back these fast sintering cycles up, i wouldn't touch them either.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
"His advice was to chat to the manufacturer of the furnace, asking which material can truly handle these cycles."

Oh please, the manufacturer wants to sell its furnaces, you really think there gonna tell you that theres only x number of zirconias that work.

Of course there not, there gonna tell you most work great and keep there fingers crossed.

Until theres some legitimate published data to back these fast sintering cycles up, i wouldn't touch them either.

well, in the case where the manufacturer has its own brand of zirconia *cough* ivoclar *cough* they're only going to recommend that you use their zirconia.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
thanks for the link, can you please post a link to your studies and scientific data showing how the reduced sintering cycles afffects the strength and integrity of the sintered copings?

thanks....popcorn

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I did the samples used in the study published at Boston University. Transluceny was affected and the reduction in strength was about 20%. If the manufacturer supports it, and you can live with it, by all means have fun.

We can see the difference, and if you can SEE it, something isn't right, and the studies prove it. Not in this lab. FWIW

P

paulg100

Reaction score
thanks Mark, so lets see 20% loss for fast sintering, if your pre-colouring then thats another 10% maybe, so thats a 30% loss..

Ok thats enough info for me, no thanks :)

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Then over the next 5 years it will loose another 50%.