Exocad database in cloud?

R

rookiee

Reaction score
Hi!

Newbie on Exo and since I design on two different locations and computers my idea was to put cad data on cloud, like onedrive etc and sync it on both computers. Would that work or? I'm not talking doing it "live" but I would wait database to be synced and present pshysicaly and then use it or design. Does that make sense or just make separate them on each computer?

Also second q, can I make like my settings, including libraries, implant libraries etc.. and somehow just copy certain folder or xml to another computer and have working copy also there? I know I should ask reseller but it's a weekend and have some time to dial things up..:)

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
I used dropbox for a long time. Real easy to set up a shared folder and have it sync. Worked great.

J

juldan

Reaction score
Hi rookie.
Yes you can.
Just adapt under settings ( ../DentalDB/Config/Defaultsettings.xml)
adapt the path where you have youre CAD-Data folder and save, open DentalDB and should work.

Note:
Always backup xml file, to restore if need.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
As with @Cleo I'm a fan of Dropbox. It can be set to not start with Windows, or also easily be right-clicked to stop the services from live syncing as your designing (i.e. to and in your backup folder). Once you click the system tray icon, it will restart Dropbox to start syncing again.

2023-06-12_5-29-56.jpg

2023-06-12_5-31-43.jpg

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
if you use cloud like you mentioned, then it should work.

Just make sure that sync is __finished__ when uploading/downloading files. i mean, sometimes syncs fail: "set it and forget it" might result a situation where sync is not completed and that brings problems.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I do like Dropbox, but only use it to move finished projects for milling and printing between my multiple locations. When we are working on collaboration projects, I use dentalshare under my own banner I have found that works. Fantastic moves through exocad flawlessly.

T

Thibaut

Reaction score
Hi!

Newbie on Exo and since I design on two different locations and computers my idea was to put cad data on cloud, like onedrive etc and sync it on both computers. Would that work or? I'm not talking doing it "live" but I would wait database to be synced and present pshysicaly and then use it or design. Does that make sense or just make separate them on each computer?

Also second q, can I make like my settings, including libraries, implant libraries etc.. and somehow just copy certain folder or xml to another computer and have working copy also there? I know I should ask reseller but it's a weekend and have some time to dial things up..:)
Ok so, couple of things you need to do if you want to do it the right way that will be versatile and hold in time.

A) A bit of understanding first.

1) DentalDB manages an sql database which contains all the infos about clients, patients, dates etc.
This file is named "DentalDB_V3.sqlite" and is always located in the folder where your data is "exocad-DentalCAD/CAD-Data".
2) DentalDB knows where that file is located because it is pointed to it in a config file named "defaultsettings-db.xml" in exocad-DentalCAD/DentalDB/config
3) Pretty much all configurations for exocad will be in those simple to read xml files, implants, models, attachments, tooth libraries etc
Ok so, now copy "defaultsettings-db.xml" and rename it "settings-db.xml", this one will override all the settings in the defaut one so you don't mess up anything.

B) Sharing your cases and database
Now let's define want you want to share between your two PC posts via the cloud.
1) You want to share the infos of clients, patients etc. contained in "DentalDB_V3.sqlite"
Put that that file in your cloud folder, for example if you're using dropbox on your pc by installing dropbox desktop you would put that file in "C:\Users\You\Dropbox\exodad-DentalCAD/CAD-Data". You'll have your database sqlite file there and all cases will be created there.
2) Now you'll need to tell DentalDB where that folder that will contain all your cases and your database "DentalDB_V3.sqlite" in "settings-db.xml". The string you're looking for is
Code:
<DataStoragePath>..\CAD-Data</DataStoragePath>
What "..\" means is just go back one folder, so from "C:\Windows" to "C:\", won't be necessary but good to know. So set that string to
Code:
<DataStoragePath>C:\Users\You\Dropbox\exodad-DentalCAD/CAD-Data</DataStoragePath>
3) Do all the same steps on your other PC . Now all your cases and your database will be in your cloud folder shared between your two exocad. Just copy the folders you need on your second PC like implants (exocad-DentalCAD\DentalCADApp\library\implant),tooth library (exocad-DentalCAD\DentalCADApp\library\teeth) and don't forget their metadata (exocad-DentalCAD\DentalCADApp\library\metadata) and their pontics versions (exocad-DentalCAD\DentalCADApp\library\pontics)

C) Sharing your database only
If don't have much cloud space, don't want to invest money and don't want to share all your cases but only your database for consistency.
Set this string in the settings.xml for dentalDB located here (exocad-DentalCAD\DentalDB\config)
Code:
<UserCADDataDirAsDBLocation>false</UserCADDataDirAsDBLocation>
This will allow you to place your "DentalDB_V3.sqlite" into another folder than CAD-Data. It's by default here (exocad-DentalCAD\DentalDB\db).

D) Symbolic links:
You want to share all important folders between two exocad and you don't want to copy folders manually. You're often adding teeth libraries and download or update your implant libraries within the dedicated option in exocad.
You can use symbolic links, that is like advanced shortcuts.
You started a case with a new implant brand. Exocad will go get it in "exocad-DentalCAD\DentalCADApp\library\implant". You finished your case and don't want to bother copying it, let's say your usb key broke, it was send to you in an email account you don't have access to on your other computer etc ...
What a symbolic do is redirect an existing folder to another.
Let's say you've put all your implant folder in the cloud. Exocad will want to get it in the default folder here "exocad-DentalCAD\DentalCADApp\library\implant". Windows will tell exocad that folder is actually here "C:\Users\You\Dropbox\exodad-DentalCAD/library\implant".
Now all this is a bit overkill and setting them up won't be as easy as copy paste but you'll won't be bothered to ever manually do that kind of stuff between two PCs anymore. It becomes very useful when you're syncing more than two PC essentially.
You'll easily find tutorials on how to make them here

You could also just use a symbolic link for the database file "DentalDB_V3.sqlite" if you don't need to share your cases.

D) My recommandations:
These are my options I've set in my settings.xml for dentalDB
I really dislike the way exocad creates folders and files so after much experimenting I've set it like this.
Code:
<FilenameTemplate>%l %f</FilenameTemplate>
    <PathTemplate>%p\%l %f\%d</PathTemplate>
So what this will do is set your project like this inside CAD-Data:
Dr Strangelove (client) -new folder- BOMB Bernard (patient) - new folder - Date and then start creating files in that folder like this "BOMB Bernard.dentalCAD"
You could add the date at the start or end of file names so it'd be like this "BOMB Bernard - 2023-07-16.dentalCAD" but I just use windows.
If you have done 4 works for that patient it'll be easier finding your files in each dated folder than having one folder of his name plus 500 files in it.

Note that if you use this template you will have to set two strings for the patient. For example the client only gave you his name (BOMB). Set a firstname like John or Z or else DentalDB won't be able to create the patient folder.

Hope it helps =)

Last edited:
EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Wow.
That’s really impressive computer skills. Are you sure you’re a dental technician? Way over the old guys head here. Again very impressive.

Top Bottom