e.max EP5000 and Intellegent Press

• Thread starter Clear Precision Dental
  • Start date
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I have a question for the amazing folks here at DLN.

I purchased an EP5000 and started my adventure into all-porcelain systems (...SOOOO much easier and predictable than my refractery technique!!).

My EP5000 has the "Intellegent Press" function, but I have never used it. My manual does not mention much about it.

So my question (from a "less intellegent guy") is, when, and under what parameters, do you use the "Intellegent Press" feature of this press? What would be the benefits of using it? Are any of you using this part of the program?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I thought the "intelligent press" was a software system built into the programs in the furnace to sense when there was a possibility of a crack in the ring, it would stop the pressing cycle. I wasn't aware that it had an on/off feature to it.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I have a question for the amazing folks here at DLN.

I purchased an EP5000 and started my adventure into all-porcelain systems (...SOOOO much easier and predictable than my refractery technique!!).

My EP5000 has the "Intellegent Press" function, but I have never used it. My manual does not mention much about it.

So my question (from a "less intellegent guy") is, when, and under what parameters, do you use the "Intellegent Press" feature of this press? What would be the benefits of using it? Are any of you using this part of the program?

The intelligent press function is used everytime that you press! it is an on board sensory system that can help press rings a bit quicker depending on what you have in the ring. if the press can speed it up and eliminate some pressing time and holding time, it will go ahead and do that for you. the crack detection feature is a totally different deal, where if the press feels a crack giving way on the ring, it will stop and hopefully save some of, or all of what you have in the oven.

C

charles007

Reaction score
With my ep 5000, I guess it saved my butt twice........Earlier this year there were 2 different times that the Crack Detection appeared on the screen.......I placed one pattern to close to the outside wall, using Ivoclar speed press..It hit the outside wall during the pressing cycle, but just showed a small amount of emax when it came out.......Blasted as usual and cut off the extended thin amount emax........ Still had great margins with both cases, without any other problems in the pressing.
Had this been an alloy, it probably would have been a lot of wasted metal on the outside of the ring........

There have also been several rings that had a small crack...kind of scary to see..... no problems with the pressing . Don't know what I may have done wrong.....All I can say is......

Still at 100% success rate in my pressing with emax.....guess I've been lucky ?

Last edited:
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
The intelligent press function is used everytime that you press! it is an on board sensory system that can help press rings a bit quicker depending on what you have in the ring.

I apologize for revisiting this thread, but I am still scratching my head over this one.

On my EP5000, when I go to the "Press" function on the initial screen, it gives me several choices regarding which material I am going to press.

For the following: Empress Cosmo, Empress 2, Press HO, Press HT and Press LT, the machine defaults to "Standard Mode."

For the following, however; Press MO, Empress Esthetic, ZirPress and Inline POM it gives a choice that may be selected for "Standard" Mode OR "IPF Mode."

Is IPF Mode something different than Intellegent Press Function? I agree that Crack Detection is part of the software, as well as onboard feedback regarding when the press is complete... I love the pretty lights on my machine. Maybe I'm stupid 'cause I'm still confused. (That statement was a gimme,tee-up-shot, on-a-platter, go-for-it phrase for Tim)

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
As far as I remember the intelligent press function is for shorter times on 300g rings, probably on others too.

Don't hold me on that one tho, as its stuck on the back of my head... a year back when I was researching ep3000 and 5000 to buy for myself.
IPF and touchscreen were the only "upgrades" , not worth the extra money imo so I went for ep3000 ,that also has crack detection system,right?

Taken from the ivoclar site:

"For pressed ceramic in particular, the new press drive with Intelligent Press Function (IPF) helps to achieve faster and even more beautiful restorations."

and

"Intelligent Press Function for more efficient press results"

I'm pretty sure now actually its "just" the time. ;)

Maybe put it on and see if times changes.Happy pressing.

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
also just found:

"The Intelligent Press Function (IPF) launches a new era in
press technology. Our development team has combined the
patented electronic press drive with the QTK (quartz tube
kanthal) heating muffle technology. Hence, faster and more
aesthetic press results can be achieved to meet even the
most exacting demands."

Top Bottom