dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Very nice Al.,,, well done;)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Troy, I got so lucky with that case.
That was the first case from some Dr up north.

This is basicaly what I got from him plus a couple more pics just like it.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_e8.jpg

To match the contours the facial is thin between .8-1mm.
No way to make it look decent with a pfm and keep the contours flat.

I thought for sure it would come back probably to trans on the incial. But I got lucky and it went thr first try.

LT A35, OE1, Trans Blue, Neutral, Incisal 2 and Deep Dentin (Opacious Dentin)
B1 for the craze lines. Ive been using Deep Dentin for all the cracks now, it is super fast and they are thin.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_e8.jpg

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Troy, I got so lucky with that case.
That was the first case from some Dr up north.

This is basicaly what I got from him plus a couple more pics just like it.

To match the contours the facial is thin between .8-1mm.
No way to make it look decent with a pfm and keep the contours flat.

I thought for sure it would come back probably to trans on the incial. But I got lucky and it went thr first try.

LT A35, OE1, Trans Blue, Neutral, Incisal 2 and Deep Dentin (Opacious Dentin)
B1 for the craze lines. Ive been using Deep Dentin for all the cracks now, it is super fast and they are thin.

Al.,

The nightmare single central; and on top of that limited space; plus not having the opportunity to see the patient? You're very fortunate indeed. You must be living right. It is absolutely spectacular. BTW you're missing the pit of #8 on #9,,,:D:D:D Well done my friend.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
missed the photos of the single central,

What a great result. Its so satisifying when you nail these first time out, normally takes me at least a couple of try's though.

i can imagine the doc and patient were thrilled.

M

Miguel

Reaction score
Hey guys-cool stuff Al!

It was Mike McKenna from PhotoMed and they also can do maintenance on your sensors etc... Their service is just amazing.

T

Tooth Geek

Reaction score
Hey AL primo stuff once again mate. You mentioned you used deep dentine for cracks etc.. Would ya mind sharing how you apply this i.e. fixation firing, same time as incisal layering (line & fold) or even the good ol grind and fill??

Cheers, all hail thee ;)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Hey AL primo stuff once again mate. You mentioned you used deep dentine for cracks etc.. Would ya mind sharing how you apply this i.e. fixation firing, same time as incisal layering (line & fold) or even the good ol grind and fill??

Cheers, all hail thee ;)

Hi Tooth Geek, beautiful country you live in, at least the part I saw in Lord of the Rings.
I was room mates with a Dr from your neck of the woods for a couple of days at a course that Dr Melkers (who posted above you) put on at Pankey. Dr Simon Leith, dont know if you know him.

For the cracks using DD, after the build is complete, I take a very thin blade and cut slits.
If you dont have one take a double edged razor blade and cut it in half and mount it on a brush handle. You can thin it with a rubber wheel if it is too thick. It should be thinner than 1/10 of a mm.

Then take a wash of DD, I use A or B1, and with a small brush saturated in the runny watery mix, heal the slits.
The key is keeping the slits thin so you want to cut straight in and out and not open it up/widen it. You also need the right moisture in your build and your slurry.

Acually the technique was shared to me by a really great tech from Spain named Manuel Oliver Castillo. I saw his work and pumped him for information and he willingly shared.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mta.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtb.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtc.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtd.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mte.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtf.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mta.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtb.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtc.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtd.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mte.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_mtf.jpg

T

Tooth Geek

Reaction score
Mate its a small dot we live in. I actually do know Simon and have worked with him on a few cases...easy bloke to work with and one of the few dent docs whos luvs criticism.

Thanks for the speedy reply and pics Al. I'm glad i'm not the only dude trawling the tooth boards over the break (misses thinks i'm nuts...hell i'm a tech what ya expect!)

Hey, just a quickie. Out of interest how long are some of ya closing up shop for this xmas?

We'll be out of action for a long awaiting 3weeks however i know a few labs down this neck of the woods who've had it hard this year and only taking a few stat day off...youch.

Anyway...back to sun & sand have a great new years guys:cool:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Mate its a small dot we live in. I actually do know Simon and have worked with him on a few cases...easy bloke to work with and one of the few dent docs whos luvs criticism.

Thanks for the speedy reply and pics Al. I'm glad i'm not the only dude trawling the tooth boards over the break (misses thinks i'm nuts...hell i'm a tech what ya expect!)

Hey, just a quickie. Out of interest how long are some of ya closing up shop for this xmas?

We'll be out of action for a long awaiting 3weeks however i know a few labs down this neck of the woods who've had it hard this year and only taking a few stat day off...youch.

Anyway...back to sun & sand have a great new years guys:cool:

You know Dr. Simon, the next time you see him give him a old-fashioned American noogie from Rob and Al......He was a hoot at Pankey :)

As for time off, we took Christmas eve and that following Monday, in military terms 'a 96' (96 hours of liberty) and are taking this Friday, New Years Eve off, that's it. My boss sucks for giving time off though, I should turn him in huh?:p

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
You know Dr. Simon, the next time you see him give him a old-fashioned American noogie from Rob and Al......He was a hoot at Pankey :)

As for time off, we took Christmas eve and that following Monday, in military terms 'a 96' (96 hours of liberty) and are taking this Friday, New Years Eve off, that's it. My boss sucks for giving time off though, I should turn him in huh?:p

Yep and his wife was about to drop a baby and probably has by now. Might be a good idea to drop a baby present by his office to keep you on his mind.

A

Aldad

Reaction score
Dirt in the sensor, just blowded it away(CW Moss,Bonnie@Clide)

:)

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
This is an intresting case. Didnt want to start a new thread so Im posting it here.

John this is the abutment you made for me. These teeth are pretty narrow and all have exposed roots, I had to reinforce the teeth with paper clips before I poured it.
The implant was placed well but it is too wide. Its a challange to get matching contours.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp1.jpg

This is what I came up with.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp2.jpg

Pretty funky looking, but #1 I want to match the tooth form. The sides on the root form are as thin as I dare take them. It is opposing a denture.

I used cervical trans Brown Grey I beleive. The final shade is an trans enamel shade in the D2 range. I pressed with a B2 ingot. I use B2 alot when the desired shade is D2. It is very easy to turn a B2 pressing to D2 but often a D2 pressing turns out too grey.
I used OE5 for in the center of the incisal edge.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp3.jpg

I figured this was for sure coming back but it went, and it came out pretty decent.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp4.jpg

I could have made the incisal edges sharper and made the incisal edge porc more intense and it is a touch light. Mabey I could have used a bit of OD Orange instead of OE 5.

Here is the same pic cropped for a close up.

Thanks John and esp for the seating jig.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp5.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp3.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp4.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_imp5.jpg

Last edited:
T

Tooth Geek

Reaction score
Interesting option with the B2 to D2. I still remember seeing my first LTD2 in the mouth....wowzas. Yeah way too grey alright...learnt from that one!

Cheers for sharing ya work and insights Al

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think it came out terrific given all the hurdles you had to jump. I like the optical illusion effect you used it seems to have really made the case.

Thanks for the work AL!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
You know what is funny that crown in the box looked freakish.
I said to my self this is the last crown this Dr will probably send me.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Could you have made a screw retained zirconia crown or was the access hole to buccal?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think it could have been an option but if you look at the shape of the abutment the angle of the fixture was leaning to the mesial. I would have to go back and look at the file.

In any event you would still have to deal with the wide gingival space vs the narrow top with either a cement or screw retained restoration.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think it could have been an option but if you look at the shape of the abutment the angle of the fixture was leaning to the mesial. I would have to go back and look at the file.

In any event you would still have to deal with the wide gingival space vs the narrow top with either a cement or screw retained restoration.

Closing an embrassure is never a bad thing for sure.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ive never done one before. Didnt even think about it.

John do you design many of them?

I quess I would just build on it with emax ceram? Use the zir liner first.

RMK have you done many of them?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hi Al yes we do many screw retained units. For the ant the access hole has be ling to incisal edge to make things easy. We design the abutment full contour on the computer or close to full contour and cut it back to have proper support for the glass.

You treat the Zi abutment just like you would a PFZ restoration.

Its just another tool that when the surgeon does a perfect job can really make things great.

Just understand that on certain fixtures where the abutment has a metal interface some systems need you to cement the base to the zi. This is obviously done AFTER your finished up with the ceramic work. The negative with this is if the Dr ever retrieves the unit and sends it back to you for a repair then your forced to remove the base from the unit. Definitely not impossible but something to remember.