• Welcome to Dental Lab Network

Dipping.

Discussion in 'Zirconium' started by sndmn2, Feb 12, 2018.

1. sndmn2

sndmn2 Well-Known Member Full Member

No, not skinny or Skole. I thought I would mess around with it a little. Are some stains easier to work with ? I have one fairly busy account, 30 crowns a month and everyone of their patients have the same shade A3/A2 so I thought I would start there. I see allot of discussions and there looks like there are plenty out there. Is it just a questions of learning to work with each brand or are some better than others ? Thanks

2. Brent Harvey
      Thinking

Brent Harvey Well-Known Member Full Member

Let me know when you have some time to talk and ill go over it with you over the phone. Much easier to do over the phone then explain though typing ha ha.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. user name
      Question

user name Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

I think dipping is going the way of PFMs. There are nice preshaded materials available; why not use them?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Car 54
      No Mood

Car 54 Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

Agree, I need to start looking into that after I see what Origin comes up at Chicago with their preshaded gradient Beyond. It's so nice to mill, then go right to sinter, without the time it's taking me in dipping. Maybe more economical in 1 shade disc purchases for dipping, but the time and labor is probably where I'm losing the cost savings. Let alone the shades of liquid costs.

5. zero_zero
      Drunk

zero_zero Well-Known Member Full Member

So many crowns of the same shade and you still want to dip ? Bird

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. sndmn2

sndmn2 Well-Known Member Full Member

Just curious as to what kind of results I can get compared to shaded ML HT type of pucks.

7. Patrick Coon
      Amused

Patrick Coon Well-Known Member Full Member

I agree with the others chiming in here. Time saved and consistency would be a better savings with using a nice pre-shaded multilayer disk over dipping.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tradewindj
      Relaxed

Tradewindj Member Full Member

We have dipped and used the brush technique. We moved to pre-shaded Katana material and have never looked back. Huge time savings with consistent results and overall, a nicer product.

9. Contraluz

Contraluz Well-Known Member Full Member

I have to say, the E.max Multi disks come out really nice!

10. Bryce Hiller
      Blah

Bryce Hiller Active Member Full Member

I think for those who dip, it comes down to cost per unit. We've done the math for profit margin between pre-shaded pucks and white/dipped stains and the cost per unit, even when factoring in labor, is much lower with white zr. No constantly switching out shaded discs and nesting everything seperately. Everything can be milled on one disc. The staining takes very little time compared to what it takes for pre-shaded. Not to mention the pre-shaded discs are 2-3x more expensive. Just my .02.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Car 54
      No Mood

Good point about the nesting, mill, disc change out times and that labor cost, if your'e doing more than the 30 A2-A3 crowns sandman is talking about. Spindle life also in being able to group all the units in a single disc with less bur change outs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. user name
      Question

I couldn't disagree more. I don't know what Zr youre using, and I know there are some cheap ones out there. That said, my goal is to get the best end result. Ive used lots of white and lots of multi layer pre colored. Hands down, the best results Ive achieved are with the pre colored. If youre going to color your own, then we have to compare dipping vs painting. There is no dipping that can compare with a carefully painted unit, and that's time consuming. So we're back to quality.

Now, price. I buy a lot of STML, and I have secured a great price. I can share in PM more details. I can switch out pucks and mill everything I need in pre coloreds faster than you can mill all in white and then color; granted, Im running more than one mill. Its nice to be running an A-2 puck in one mill and be flipping colors in the other.

So, with the price Im paying for what is generally regarded as the top shelf multi/pre, you are getting your whites for $40-50 a puck...and it looks good? I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Bryce Hiller
      Blah

Bryce Hiller Active Member Full Member

Fair points, no doubt. Running multiple mills would definitely be beneficial for pre-shaded. We've been trying out Origin Beyond Plus zirconia. 1100 mpa and 47% translucency. It's very high quality. It's definitely not as low as 40 a puck, but it's not too far north of that either. While the STML looks fantastic, we've had some issues with it.

14. zero_zero
      Drunk

zero_zero Well-Known Member Full Member

We're running 95% pre-shaded, wouldn't go back to the dipping method. Having said that, there are cases where we'd paint some stains to further characterize the crown, mostly anteriors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Car 54
      No Mood

Beyond Plus, one of my favorites. Can fit more into a disc with its lower shrink rate, another benefit and cost savings.

With user name getting a better deal with his STML, not like most of us, so there is a cost difference to consider with multiple colors and thicknesses of discs with STML.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    16. TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy Just a Member Full Member

We are 99% pre-shaded, can't stand dipping, painting, or whatever you want to call it this week. Now I wish more manufacturers would come out with some multi-shaded zirconium around the 1200 MPa strength range.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. mmbh

mmbh Member Full Member

I would like to ask what issues you've had with the katana zirconia. I am interested in trying some new stuff, beyond plus and katana on my list. We do a lot of Argen HT+ and it looks very nice, but there are a few issues with cracking after they have sat on the bench that concerns me. We never had that issue with the previous versions of their zirconia.

18. user name
      Question

If youre having cracking, others are likely too. make sure you the Argen. Maybe they have an updated sinter cycle to address the issue. Id consider slower heat rates, both up and down.

19. A. M.

A. M. Member Full Member

I dip and use pre-shaded too. If it is a crown, I paint them, so I can get the colour I want.
      And we use the Ceramill Zolid FX Multilayer... LOVE it! You can buy it shaded (every disk has 2 shades), or you can buy just white and stain for yourself.

20. user name
      Question

Im just about all STML here. If you get a funky shade request...like a bridge I just did, C-1 inc, C-2 mid, C-3 cerv, Origin liquids work great with it. I use the 6.0 version in 70 strength. Just a slow damp brush stroke works well. Not too much.