Digital impression sketchy occlusions

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'm getting closer to asking my docs to send everything from io scanners. I still struggle trusting them. I see this ALL the time with occlusion. They are like this picture a lot. I will adjust them digitally sometimes but I would REALLY love to have them look and just be right, ya know? What would you digital veterans do with this case? Digitally align it, print and scan the correct bite? It's going to be a waxup of 7-10 and 23-26.

1691597715110.png

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
In 3Shape, I have an "optimize occlusion" button. That usually does a good job. If that doesn't work, I'll go ahead and print the models and articulate the models manually and then try and replicate that alignment digitally. If that doesn't work, I rescan the printed models in like a regular impression case.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
not enough data in the bite scan, or too much data in the occlusion scan.

maybe both.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
This is always the issue with the IO scans.
Pretty much every case has scans colliding. I try the optimize occlusion like mentioned.
Then I try to adjust manual if that is an option but it can very difficult and and I question if I'm correct at times.
It's pretty easy to get lost sometimes when you adjust from a certain viewpoint and look from another angle.

I really don't like the idea of scanning a printed model and designing based on that.
Having to do that just destroys the entire digital workflow purpose.

But I understand that sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

I see there are some companies that started up trying to use Ai to get the bite right.
You could look into one of those and see if it improves.

I wish there was a way to see a video of how the scans were achieved.
It's kind of impossible for me to tell if the data is bad, unless it blaringly obvious.

Everyone thought that digital work flow would fix some of the issues we had with impressions and it has for some things but it
the same problems still show up even though it was done with digitally.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
In 3Shape, I have an "optimize occlusion" button. That usually does a good job. If that doesn't work, I'll go ahead and print the models and articulate the models manually and then try and replicate that alignment digitally. If that doesn't work, I rescan the printed models in like a regular impression case.
Dang. I'm an Exocist

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
not enough data in the bite scan, or too much data in the occlusion scan.

maybe both.
If I do a :Edit Mesh" and clean up the scragly bits you think it would help? Or is it the triangle mesh things in the data?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If you’re making a crown then use the preparation as your occlusal guide.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Everyone thought that digital work flow would fix some of the issues we had with impressions and it has for some things but it
the same problems still show up even though it was done with digitally.
That’s because the same schmucks that couldn’t take a conventional impression can’t take a digital one either.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I just trimmed away some from the bite scan and it aligned great this time! Maybe that's the trick?
View attachment 43491
trimming bite data is a good trick but not always the key.

remember/recall that with the bite scan theres no way to go over the contour of the teeth to capture tooth contours correctly, which means basically your intraoral scanner is capturing just the data closest to the scan tip, meaning mostly it gets good tissue data near the sulcus.

try and use sulcus data as much as possible for alignment.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sorry , American is my 2nd language.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
With all the different scanners out there, the software bite alignments aren't always the greatest. In Exocad, one of the first things I do is go to expert mode and check the bite/wear facets and use "correct antagonist" to manipulate and equilibrate things digitally, concentrating on the areas of where the restorations are... just as I used to do with analog models. Works good for me as the feedback is mostly very little and sometimes no adjustments.

Last edited:
L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Too bad it's not all easy peasy like the schmuck sales rep's always make it out to be. Those rats need to stop with the overhype of their products
Aw come on! All you have to is fire up the puter, scanner, mill, and printer. Do a few mouse clicks, then go home. And when you show up in the morning it's all done and ready to go! It's digital magic!! 😃

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Aw come on! All you have to is fire up the puter, scanner, mill, and printer. Do a few mouse clicks, then go home. And when you show up in the morning it's all done and ready to go! It's digital magic!! 😃
Frickin A! What set up do have? I'll buy several!