Dentures lab.

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last January I started my own lab (dentures only).
I started to contact some dentists close by next me and gave them my very affordable price list. However, I only have one client. Does anyone know how to make a deal with dentist?
Most of them send the cases to the large labs.

Thank you, and looking forward to your replies.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last January I started my own lab (dentures only).
I started to contact some dentists close by next me and gave them my very affordable price list. However, I only have one client. Does anyone know how to make a deal with dentist?
Most of them send the cases to the large labs.

Thank you, and looking forward to your replies.
Getting client offices requires that the dentist(s) themselves become aware that you are there, what you can do for them, and why they should bother to change labs.

Standard advertising theory says that to be aware of a product or service that a person needs eight 'impressions' or presentations of the availability and efficacy of that product or service before thinking of it when they need it.

Knowing that can help you understand why a continual marketing plan is required to sustain any non-impluse buy business.

Be wary of trading on price, you will rarely get the best practioners in the area by such marketing. I'm not accusing you of low-balling your competitors, just warning that affordability can be misunderstood.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
marketing marketing marketing.

just the fact that you are in the removables is a big deal. its a lost art nowadays.

just get out there and let em know who you are. business will come to you.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
What city/state are you in? Undercutting price is digging a hole and placing a sub-standard value on your product IMO. Keep pricing in line with the competition and service their pants off. How many techs in larger labs actually walk through the dentists' door to pickup/deliver. MARKET THAT ABILITY!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Another few thoughts

Visit your non-client offices once a month or every two weeks even at first. Don't go without a reason though. Not an excuse, but a reason.

This month you may have a 'focus on' immediate rpds, next month a 'focus on' softliners. Not a sale with price reduction, just a flyer that points out your diferentiators, special skills, in depth training, or arcane knowledge of the techniques. The UPS store is your friend here. Make up your flyer and they will print it full color for you. Get in the habit of doing this and Voila! You just started a newsletter!

Every time I go to an office, unless it's to pick up, I leave some candies. Every marketing trip, or flyer delivery, relationship management visit. Every one. This gets the reception staff to at least be happy to see you. And they are! Get some sugar free candy too, or the docs may jump your case, but most are quite fine with sugar free if they oppose it otherwise.

Not something for summer, but on a cold day, find out how many are in the office, go to StarBugs, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, where ever, and get every person a large coffee, black, and enough cream and sugar that everyone can have 2 of both if they want. A caution: I did this not knowing that all three docs in the office were Mormon. No caffine allowed for religious belief proscription. But they laughed about it and had no problem as it brightened up the staff and a happy staff runs better.

I generally practice what I call 'viet cong business methods' in short use your competitors strengths as your strengths, turning theirs into weaknesses. Turn your weaknesses into strengths.
They are huge, handle high volume, have lots of the fancy equipment you drool over in catalogs in a beautiful building. That cuts both ways. They may not be nimble; they may not be able to give personal service levels of detail to every case; they may not have time to talk about a high complexity case for an hour, in the pratice, with the doc and patient; they have a HUGE overhead.

Where you may be able to do more with less, and can certainly have a far lower hard budget on how much you *must* make/spend to stay open. This also allows for some unbelievable flexibility. You can make on the spot decisions instead of 2 or three layers of managerial approval required. You may be able to survive on less great work where they usually are doing lots of medium level work.

Also, continuing to develop greater general business, advertising, and sales/customer interaction knowledge and ''sense" will be easier for one person than for a management staff of 25 and a UPS driver delivering a busted up box and who is running behind every day.

Search this site from your favorite engine for marketing, business growth, etc. Almost all of them will respond with links to only here if you use either host:dentallabnetwork.com or site:dentallabnetwork.com after your search terms. Some use one, some the other, but most will 'take' one of them.

I'm sure there is so much more that some smarter people know and do, and more that is now automatic enough that some of us don't realize we do it, but that's enough to give you some ideas at least.

Now, did you read E-Myth, do a business plan, get advice and support from a lawyer and accountant as was suggested to you by others here?
Not trying to pop your balloon or be an ass. I just, this weekend, am crossing my 2 years open mark and I know how much those steps opened my eyes and how stupid I felt afterwards.

If I can suggest more books, nxlevel (thanks @sidesh0wb0b ) is very enlightening and they have one that will nearly build a business plan for you as you fill in the workbook if you haven't yet made one. They have their own website, just search.

That's about all I'm good for on this one. Keep working at it and you'll develop ideas and tricks of your own to share. I wish you all the best in your endevour and congradulate you on passing the 6 month mark.

Edit: As Columbo said, 'Just one more thing.'
No method, technique, or gimmick works for all of us. Just like we all have minor differences in how we carve anatomy, we all have different business styles and interaction abilities. Otherwise it'd get pretty boring, aside from there'd be not only no reason, but no way to fit better with an office than another lab.
When you get shot down, just remember, you need work from *a* dentist, not *that* dentist.

And it looks like time to hide my keyboard again. ;)

Last edited:
Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score

just the fact that you are in the removables is a big deal. its a lost art nowadays.

Thank you for your reply

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Another few thoughts

Visit your non-client offices once a month or every two weeks even at first. Don't go without a reason though. Not an excuse, but a reason.

This month you may have a 'focus on' immediate rpds, next month a 'focus on' softliners. Not a sale with price reduction, just a flyer that points out your diferentiators, special skills, in depth training, or arcane knowledge of the techniques. The UPS store is your friend here. Make up your flyer and they will print it full color for you. Get in the habit of doing this and Voila! You just started a newsletter!

Every time I go to an office, unless it's to pick up, I leave some candies. Every marketing trip, or flyer delivery, relationship management visit. Every one. This gets the reception staff to at least be happy to see you. And they are! Get some sugar free candy too, or the docs may jump your case, but most are quite fine with sugar free if they oppose it otherwise.

Not something for summer, but on a cold day, find out how many are in the office, go to StarBugs, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, where ever, and get every person a large coffee, black, and enough cream and sugar that everyone can have 2 of both if they want. A caution: I did this not knowing that all three docs in the office were Mormon. No caffine allowed for religious belief proscription. But they laughed about it and had no problem as it brightened up the staff and a happy staff runs better.

I generally practice what I call 'viet cong business methods' in short use your competitors strengths as your strengths, turning theirs into weaknesses. Turn your weaknesses into strengths.
They are huge, handle high volume, have lots of the fancy equipment you drool over in catalogs in a beautiful building. That cuts both ways. They may not be nimble; they may not be able to give personal service levels of detail to every case; they may not have time to talk about a high complexity case for an hour, in the pratice, with the doc and patient; they have a HUGE overhead.

Where you may be able to do more with less, and can certainly have a far lower hard budget on how much you *must* make/spend to stay open. This also allows for some unbelievable flexibility. You can make on the spot decisions instead of 2 or three layers of managerial approval required. You may be able to survive on less great work where they usually are doing lots of medium level work.

Also, continuing to develop greater general business, advertising, and sales/customer interaction knowledge and ''sense" will be easier for one person than for a management staff of 25 and a UPS driver delivering a busted up box and who is running behind every day.

Search this site from your favorite engine for marketing, business growth, etc. Almost all of them will respond with links to only here if you use either host:dentallabnetwork.com or site:dentallabnetwork.com after your search terms. Some use one, some the other, but most will 'take' one of them.

I'm sure there is so much more that some smarter people know and do, and more that is now automatic enough that some of us don't realize we do it, but that's enough to give you some ideas at least.

Now, did you read E-Myth, do a business plan, get advice and support from a lawyer and accountant as was suggested to you by others here?
Not trying to pop your balloon or be an ass. I just, this weekend, am crossing my 2 years open mark and I know how much those steps opened my eyes and how stupid I felt afterwards.

If I can suggest more books, nxlevel (thanks @sidesh0wb0b ) is very enlightening and they have one that will nearly build a business plan for you as you fill in the workbook if you haven't yet made one. They have their own website, just search.

That's about all I'm good for on this one. Keep working at it and you'll develop ideas and tricks of your own to share. I wish you all the best in your endevour and congradulate you on passing the 6 month mark.

Edit: As Columbo said, 'Just one more thing.'
No method, technique, or gimmick works for all of us. Just like we all have minor differences in how we carve anatomy, we all have different business styles and interaction abilities. Otherwise it'd get pretty boring, aside from there'd be not only no reason, but no way to fit better with an office than another lab.
When you get shot down, just remember, you need work from *a* dentist, not *that* dentist.

And it looks like time to hide my keyboard again. ;)

I don't know how to thank you on the precious advises you gave me. Now I understand that I need to do more to make my business successful. I know that nothing is easy in any type of business, but we have many tools to make the business work fine.
I really appreciate your help. I think that the next to me is to advertise my business. My only problem is that I still work full time and I cannot afford to leave my job unless the business works. I also do not have any savings to pay for a lawyer or an advertisement company. I'm looking for ways on how to advertise myself. I work full time but on Friday, only half day, do you think it's enough half day of Fridays plus after 5 PM on the rest of the week to take care of my business?

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score

Thank you for your reply and your support

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to thank you on the precious advises you gave me. Now I understand that I need to do more to make my business successful. I know that nothing is easy in any type of business, but we have many tools to make the business work fine.
I really appreciate your help. I think that the next to me is to advertise my business. My only problem is that I still work full time and I cannot afford to leave my job unless the business works. I also do not have any savings to pay for a lawyer or an advertisement company. I'm looking for ways on how to advertise myself. I work full time but on Friday, only half day, do you think it's enough half day of Fridays plus after 5 PM on the rest of the week to take care of my business?
Depends entirely on how hungry you are to make it work. Nobody but you can answer whether you want it bad enough to realistically work 2.5 jobs until it is self sustaining.

If you haven't legally separated yourself from the business yet, do it fast as you can. Separate checking, stop using your social and get a fed tax id and LLC if your state allows single member LLC (SMLLC),not all states will. Are you in the US?

If you don't have someone doing your books, you getter take great care and get them checked every quarter or so. Expect to pay taxes and have money put back for them. Onmaverage save 20% ofmgross income or 30% of net is what I've heard.

Go to the library and suck down every business book that you can.

I don't use any ad company at all. By the way, direct mail postcard stuff has terrible conversion rates.

A few suggestions, don't leave your day job until:
You have at least 6 months of cash on hand for business and personal expenses, and your lab has been making enough at least for 3 consecutive months to cover itself and your expenses.

You can live on cup-of-noodles for months, but you don't want to, and your family cannot be expected to. Ask me how I know ;)

If you have been blessed with a spouse or children, make certain you have their support. They will he picking up lots of slack you can't carry as things spin up. Otherwise you may stop having a family to start having a business. A terrible and unacceptable trade off.

There is just so much, that is why accountants and lawyers are suggested.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
When I realized the products I produce was only a small part of what attracted clients to me and how I was able to retain them, my lab really turned a corner. VALUE and perception of value is based upon YOU. Just like BRANDING any product how you market and who you market to makes a difference.

I cringe when I hear techs trying to make a go with no real plan. As others have stated your absolute best thing you can do is learn how to write a business plan and understand WHY its important. With out a path to success how can you find it?

The fact that you are selling at an "attractive price" is the LAST THING you should be doing. If your target audience is sending to BIG LABS and you are trying to get them interested in you , be different. Defining yourself and your business is what allows you to start marketing effectively. Why should they use you, what can you offer that is different? How will you show them value. Remember what value is to you and value to them are often different. Understanding your clients needs is one thing, producing a brand and desire of something your clients didn't know they needed is way more powerful.

Good luck

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, totally I agree with your points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
You may want to go around to the crown and bridge labs in your area and partner with them for leads, or let them know what you and your lab are capable of doing. I am a crown and bridge lab, and throughout all my years in this business, I think the question I get asked the most is " Do you know of any good removable labs in town"?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You may want to go around to the crown and bridge labs in your area and partner with them for leads, or let them know what you and your lab are capable of doing. I am a crown and bridge lab, and throughout all my years in this business, I think the question I get asked the most is " Do you know of any good removable labs in town"?
pull a Car54 since he's off here and outta the lab today :)

Like, Agree, Winner, Useful, Creative

Ortho labs too! Right on man!

C

Craig T

Reaction score
This has worked well for myself and might work for you too.

Differentiate yourself by showing that you care.
Communicate concerns.
Never be late.
Treat every case like it is a family member.

Reinforce that you are a sole proprietor and the only lab tech.... that you handle every aspect of every case. This will be constant. No tech rotations or new hires...just you.
Target Prosthodontists.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
IMHO, no. thats def not enough time.
this isnt the style of business where we can dedicate a handful of hours to making it successful when the "brand" we are selling is our personal hand made products and services.
most dentists arent open fridays or weekends or after 5pm during the week. take that into consideration as well. if you truly want this as your sole income, its time to "mind your business". that means supply it with the time needed to make it what you want it to be.

BEFORE you can do that, you need a plan. that is always the starting point.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
IMHO, no. thats def not enough time.
this isnt the style of business where we can dedicate a handful of hours to making it successful when the "brand" we are selling is our personal hand made products and services.
most dentists arent open fridays or weekends or after 5pm during the week. take that into consideration as well. if you truly want this as your sole income, its time to "mind your business". that means supply it with the time needed to make it what you want it to be.

BEFORE you can do that, you need a plan. that is always the starting point.
total agreement. For some reason I missed that it was 1/2 a friday. I'll blame vacation brain.

@Hayden40 , This lab is not my first business, and you'll find that true of multiple succesfull lab owners. I've been told that for most people starting up a business, the first few tries the businesses generally fail. Not always because the idea or location was bad, even though that happens. It's assumed to be easy. In my case, I nearly assumed it to be something you can (excuse the lexical shortcut) give birth to and then have it take care of me, just handing me money and letting me stay in benchworld. Which thinking is how I also lost two businesses that were vital, but undersupported.

It is more akin to being a parent of a loving but tempermental child with very special requirements. Or, if you prefer, flying a SR-71. Look away from either's indicators for more than 30 seconds and you could have a very serious problem which could have stopped at a minor tweak had you been fully aware, fully in the moment.

I thought because I had a business license, tools, and a phone number, that was enough. Didn't really do any recordkeeping aside from bare minimum checkbook stuff, advertised by placing cheaply printed stuff in ill conceived locations not to the market I needed.

Point is, it takes a lot of off bench work, especially at the start, to get a little on bench work.

Talk with the city/county/parish/shire/whatever chamber of commerce. Many have meetings for new business owners to help each other, and offer in some cases business plan classes, advanced lvel insight (after you demontrate your willingness to put in the effort to make a real go at it by producing a serious business plan)from members of S.C.O.R.E. (Service Corp of Retired Executives) at no charge. They will know about business classes in the area, know what attourneys practice business law. They are very willing to give assistance, and they want you to get massive success, so they can generate more taxes.

The first six months to a year, I did peobably 2/3rds off bench work to 1/3 bench work. Generating marketing copy, finding ways to expand service without expanding hard overhead. Reading acccountng, business, advertising, psychology, and even stories of black hat hackers social enginerring accounts :) .

What it comes down to is very simple, but not easy. The moment you stop trying to learn to be a better businessman, or make your business better at core sellable functions or ancillary requirements, the clock starts till when it will he hihgly likely to fall in on you.

If I sound like a know it all, sorry, there is no way I do. I'm more unfiltered than usual as it had to sent out to be cleaned.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would ask your sole account for a referral.