Dental Lab Software

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone is using any of the dental laboratory software currently available out there? Just curious is all, we have a old dos system, looking to upgrade but was wondering if anyone has looked at any....

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
We're using Winvoice. All online. Cost is 10 dollars per 10,000 billed. 1/10 of 1 percent.
They have trial I believe. winvoice.com
We use a code number for every item we make. When I prep work I have a full print out of items and their code numbers. I write the code number on the prescription and give it to Linda for invoicing. She doesn't have to enter in any info other than the code number, description and price are entered on the invoice and totaled. If you have a sales tax in is calculated. I have various code numbers for different levels of shipping charges as well. Check out the thread in the ortho forum....Prescription example...Cade..
Your clients can go to your winvoice .com site and are allowed to view your price list and more. What they can do is controled by you.
You can access your winvoice form any computer that goes online.
Cade is using it and likes to look at the next days work load from home. He puts things in a scheduling area when they come in. You can create invoice from the scheduleing area as well I believe.
I don't use the schedule feature, lab is across the drive way.
Check it out winvoice.com, winvoice on line.
I'll pm you with an access ability to my winvoice, go have a look.
Mike.

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Rob,

Between my previous lab and now my own I have been using Lab Manager for the last 16+ years now. If you have average computer skills it is easy to use. It will do just about whatever I need it to including scheduling, work tickets and of course invoicing and end of month billing and reports. All reports are completly costumizable which is what I really like so my invoices and statements are completly personable for my needs and what I want to relay to the dentist. They do have a trial version available. Just a word of caution about Lab Manager is they are constantly coming out with updates to get all the bugs out of the newest program but I do believe they currently have them all out or at least I have not noticed any recently. Price is currently $399 for billing interface and $399 for the Production interface $99 for Quickbooks interface and they should be coming out with the Scheduling interface in the very near future. Of course you do not need to buy all of them but just what you want. They also have preferated paper available but I have found a much cheaper place to buy it and it is better paper.

I have also heard alot of good things about LabNet and Dental Lab for Quickbooks. LabNet is a little more expesive for my size of lab and I just did not care for the Dental Lab for Quickbooks but I know of many others that do.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey Bill, I'm curious now, is Lab Manager website driven? What I'm asking is, do I have to log on to their website every time i enter or invoice a case in or out? If that is the case, I may have a problem (Can really only get dial up in my area). Or do they send you the software on a disk by mail?

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
As a one man/woman lab I use only Quickbook. I set up itemization and pricing and print an invoice for each case then it does invoices at the end of the month. End of year tax info is all available also.
Each dentist is their own account. Gives you reports if you want on accounts, monthly, yearly, and I can track how many of what appliance. I use a laptop and back up to a thumb drive.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
As a one man/woman lab I use only Quickbook. I set up itemization and pricing and print an invoice for each case then it does invoices at the end of the month. End of year tax info is all available also.
Each dentist is their own account. Gives you reports if you want on accounts, monthly, yearly, and I can track how many of what appliance. I use a laptop and back up to a thumb drive.

How are you maintaining records for Patients name? Have you found a predictable way to search for an invoice by patients name?

Last edited:
CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
You can search by invoice number if you know, Drs name or by patient name. I number the invoices by year and month. ex. 0810-18 would be the 18th invoice for oct 08. It numbers consecutivly for you but you have to update the month on the 1st. You customize the invoice to show what info you want. I have a drop down to pick a Dr. name and it automatically enters billing address. I have a spot to enter the patients name and if I choose a due date, and then drop downs to itemize bill. Default is 1 each but you can change how many. It will update price based on number but you can customize price if you want to change or discount on just that invoice. End of month statements list all patients and what was charged. I have it set to print two copies of every invoice.

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Hey Bill, I'm curious now, is Lab Manager website driven? What I'm asking is, do I have to log on to their website every time i enter or invoice a case in or out? If that is the case, I may have a problem (Can really only get dial up in my area). Or do they send you the software on a disk by mail?

Rob,

It is not a webbased driven program although they do load the updates on the internet for download but I am sure they can make other arrangements for this, or at least I bet if they thought they would lose a sale they might change their minds. They are really good working technical problems out when needed.

Laboratory Systems Group, Inc. - Dental Laboratory Software

That is the website for it if you want to take a look at it more, it will show more options then what I have probably listed but being small those were the nicest features for myself and my needs.

For $800.00 I got all the features I need but I think I might upgrade to the scheduling module when it is available. I think that is about another $799.00 for that but it is still less expensive then having the same features in LabNet. Right now I schedule all my cases using the calendar in Microsoft Outlook so I know what my day is going to be like but it would be nice to only use one program to do all of this. I need to schedule all of my work (except repairs unless they are complicated) so I do not end up working over 50 hours a week, I can also schedule so I can at least meet my minimum goal but always try to exceed it per week. Being small I can not handle getting 20 cases in and trying to get them out in 3-5 days or less just the same a dentist can not take 20 patients off the street without appointments and satisfy their needs in a short turn around. We need the proper amount of time to perform to my level of satisfaction and exceed our expections for each and every case. With what I have gone through over the last several years I value my family life more than working it away at the lab. That is why I want/need to schedule my cases the same as the dentist schedules their patients, it has worked well for me the last 8 years and never lost an account because of it. Sorry for throwing that in but I thought I better before anyone thinks I am lazy or not motivated about work. Again sorry for getting off subject about why I schedule all my cases.

When pricing LabNet it was something like $2100.00 for the same features. Not sure what Dental Lab for Quickbooks costs but I just found it not so simple to work with.

You can always give me a call at the lab if you would like to talk about Lab Manager more but I will not be back in the office until Monday, November 3rd. 1-906-253-9803

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score

+1 :D

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
My wife uses quickbook also.

L

labdude

Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, you could pay $800.00 up to maybe $2100.00.
For 1/10 of 1 percent you get all updates, all features and modules, as it were.
As Rob is going where there is no high speed internet...he could have for 800, about a year and a half of Hugesnet satelite internet.(highspeed) For 2100 he could go over 3 years of Hughesnet and Winvoice combined.
Setting up with Hughesnet and paying the monthly charge, is a deduction for the busniess, and you get a high speed internet where there is no cable or DSL.
After 3 years, and probably before 3 years, he will have DSL or something else.
Why pay for upgrade and modules when they are included in Winvoice???
A transition from 1 software to another is time consuming...for a short time.
I like the ability to access from any computer that can go online, anywhere. No need to back up as well.
Winvoice is designed for dental labs.
Winvoice.com

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Labdude, do you have hughsnet??
I dont have highspeed here either, just dialup.
Are there any cons to hughsnet? Does it go out during bad weather?
Thanks

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Al,
We used it for about 5 or 6 years till DSL showed up last year.
We used the least expensive plan. Only problem with weather for us was snow on the dish, we just swept it off. Other than that, it worked great. On their site they mention an alignment of their satelites and the sun causing a 15 minute balck out on Sept. 28 of this year. I never experienced anything like that.
Here's a link...
HughesNet Satellite Internet - High-Speed Broadband Internet Access
Mike.

N

nickate

Reaction score
One of the labs I work for uses Lab Net and I love it...

It is downright FAST if you know how to get around it...
Dr. name
Pat. name
custom tray
pour model
bp/rim
art.
setup F/
finish F/
Pat. ID
teeth

As an example... a complete denture case can be totally billed out in 30 sec or so AND have an itemized copy for the dentist, myself and a label for the box.

Any info (such as teeth used) can be brought up in the future easily.
BADDA-BING.

It's something like $800 though.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Al, you might want to talk to your local telephone company. They really hooked me up, they extended DSL out to me, they had to use large phone filters (jacks) to filter out all the noise due to the length to get me service, but hey, it's tons faster than dial up and not 300 dollars a month (hughes)....Plus, hughes limits how much you can download or upload in a days time. Too much and hughes automatically kicks you to dial up......blahh blahhh. Might be worth a phone call. Hope that helps.

Z

zena

Reaction score
We use LabNet it's quick & easy for billing, scheduling and great for locating a case in the lab when you need right away. You know where everything is at all times and at what stage it's at and who has it. Especially in bigger labs like ours where we have both a crown/bridge department and denture department that feature comes in handy.:)

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
John,

In quickbooks we put the patient's name in the memo slot. It then is searchable even by fragments Jo would return any name with Jo in it from John to Barbara-Jo to Johnson. It then shows up on the statement also.
I'll post a screen shot tommorrow.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John,

In quickbooks we put the patient's name in the memo slot. It then is searchable even by fragments Jo would return any name with Jo in it from John to Barbara-Jo to Johnson. It then shows up on the statement also.
I'll post a screen shot tommorrow.

I will have to try that Tim, Thanks for the tip.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
LSG here as well. Version 5, not upgraded. Works ok but slow to first load. Once it's up it's ok.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
John,

In quickbooks we put the patient's name in the memo slot.

Great idea, I use the PO# slot for the name. It will show all the names on the reports but won't search. I just had a programmer friend make a program for that.