Datron D5

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Any comments from anyone in regards to the reliability of this mill. I am hearing from Germany that there are many owners wanting to sell their mill, due to the fact that they are breaking down a lot. Rumor or real?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
For the price tag it better be reliable. ..:rolleyes:

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Any comments from anyone in regards to the reliability of this mill. I am hearing from Germany that there are many owners wanting to sell their mill, due to the fact that they are breaking down a lot. Rumor or real?

Mark, this is pretty inflammatory information posted in open forum by an ANONYMOUS individual. (YOU) Unless you have specifics you are willing to share it would do better not to post gossip and fan the flames of potential misinformation.

If you have specific individuals that are not happy thats one thing but coming on to a forum where we have DATRON as a paid sponsor will not be tolerated with the spreading of "RUMORS"

Thanks for understanding.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
:D

Last edited:
2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Tayedental. John, I am not posting Anonymously, my name is clear as day on the forum. I am from Toronto, Canada, not hiding anything. I am not trying to spread any rumors and have the utmost respect for Datron, just trying to get clarification from anyone who owns one on its reliability. I think it is an awesome mill, there is no doubt about it. I am considering purchasing this mill, and before I shell out the big bucks just want some feedback from users of the mill. That is why I asked the question, is it just a rumor coming from a tech from Germany.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Mark glad to have you participate on the forums. If you are really interested in the performance and reliability of this mill the best person to contact is Jordan the rep that post here for datron. I am certain if you ask he will give you a list of references.

I do not believe there is an active posting member on the site that has a D5 mill up and running. With that being said their may be lurkers that might contact you after seeing your thread.

Thanks for understanding my commitment to the protection of our advertisers.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I know where a couple are.
PM me for the name and number.

Or, I'll just email you the names and numbers marky-mark

I still think the HAAS would make you more money for Ti milling.
Cheaper too. easy to get service and parts, as yo know.

Good luck finding service techs and parts for the datron!

long waiting, and high prices.

John has no idea what he is talkin about. Forgive him, if you would please.

He does not give a rip about vendors on this site.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, just doing my due diligence. I still want to visit your operation as you know.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I thinks its unfair the moderator putting pressure on a post like that. There have been plenty of posts similar to that one on d5 on various materials and machines and everyone puts their 2c worth in .If its a good product people will say it and if its bad people will say it .The land of free speech is ringing in the back of my head somewhere.Come on its a forum not an add for something.If you cant ask about product experiences why have the dln in the 1st place .I thought this is the place to be able to ask such questions and the people and companies that advertise must know what they are getting themselves in to.DLN is the ultimate in good advertising if the product is good and untouched by the moderators bias.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We will have Mark contact an owner and find out first hand.

No B.S.

The finding do not necessarily have to be posted publicly.

It's not the best to go around beating-up a product just for the fun of it....except for the Roland.

I actually enjoy doing that! LOL

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Ive heard second hand info some guys had problems with work nc switched to hyperdent its like day and night. But ill think cam is always a little bit tricky and some is easier to understand than the other. Maybe hyperdent makes it easier with their templates but you have to pay for a lot.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, good point.

Problems could be from improper tooling, CAM, user error, material choice for metals, etc....

I can make any good mill look like a turd in a matter of minutes! I'm good at that. LOL

I know 1000 ways how NOT to make a tooth.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey Mark, once you speak to a few D5 customers, you'll find out exactly the opposite - D5 reliability is through the roof! On Friday, during our call, Neal and I will be happy to provide references for machine users that are cutting titanium with our machine consistently... up to 20 hours a day. We NEVER try to hide this information; in fact, we encourage our prospects to reach out to current machine users so they are fully confident making such an important purchasing decision.

As for parts, we have a fully stocked inventory room in NH so that any and all necessary replacements would ship directly from the US. We also have a service department that has spent the past 14+ years setting up an infrastructure and proven process to support the 300+ Datron machines in North America, so I'm pretty confident you're covered on the 'service tech' end of things as well! ;-)

G

Gabriel

Reaction score
We own a D5 and I can tell you the machine is an absolute jewel. It is a very reliable machine, if this is what you are looking for. The machine is very precise, and unless you have a big crash due to Cam issues, the machine will NOT have to be calibrated. The Tribos tool clamping system is a big plus, because you get no vibration and hence the tool life increases, not to mention the benefits for the spindle. The machine is a miniature German factory, and I know that anyone who has seen the insides of a D5 will agree with me. Once you have a good Cam (we use Sum3D),good tools (we use Datron tools) and the right materials, the machine will not create any problems. The support is very good, and they are happy to give you instructions on how to fix certain issues over the phone or they can connect directly to the machine and check.
The service technicians are very knowledgeable and thorough in checking everything, so after their work is done you can be sure the machine will work properly.
Maintenance is very important as the sensors inside the machine (a looooot of sensors) have a certain life depending on the type of sensors we are talking about. So after a number of hours they will need to be replaced. Bottom line is that if you follow the manufacturer's instructions and take care of the machine you won't have any issues.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
So Greeny what are your thoughts on the way the moderator handled the tuff questions.Im not reall impressed by the shush don't say anything they are giving us money attitude.You seem ok to answer any questions and are not really that worried about someone asking about reliability. Do you think the moderators attitude is good for your business.Or do you

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We own a D5 and I can tell you the machine is an absolute jewel. It is a very reliable machine, if this is what you are looking for. The machine is very precise, and unless you have a big crash due to Cam issues, the machine will NOT have to be calibrated. The Tribos tool clamping system is a big plus, because you get no vibration and hence the tool life increases, not to mention the benefits for the spindle. The machine is a miniature German factory, and I know that anyone who has seen the insides of a D5 will agree with me. Once you have a good Cam (we use Sum3D),good tools (we use Datron tools) and the right materials, the machine will not create any problems. The support is very good, and they are happy to give you instructions on how to fix certain issues over the phone or they can connect directly to the machine and check.
The service technicians are very knowledgeable and thorough in checking everything, so after their work is done you can be sure the machine will work properly.
Maintenance is very important as the sensors inside the machine (a looooot of sensors) have a certain life depending on the type of sensors we are talking about. So after a number of hours they will need to be replaced. Bottom line is that if you follow the manufacturer's instructions and take care of the machine you won't have any issues.

How long have you owned it? Months? How would maintance effect the sensors? What'chu actually talking about there?
I just run my HAAS and really never have to do anything at all....ever.

No eMax since the coolant is just a mist? Correct? Would fry the diamonds fairly quickly with heat?
How do you keep Ti from sparking all the time without real coolant?

I guess you really cannot see what is happening inside the chamber since the spindle is coming from the rear of the mill and the workpiece blocks the operator's view of what is going on..?

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Datron doesn't just add a real coolant system to their mills?
Never in my life have I heard of anyone trying to mill Metals with a little spit-puffer system, non-recirculating coolant. ???

Whatzup'wit'dat?

gary-coleman-as-arnold-diffrent-strokes-18022862-640-480.jpg

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Thanks Gabriel. Can I ask you how long you have had your mill and how many hours a day are you milling with it. Have you had to replace any of these sensors yet and at what cost. I had sensors go in my car last year and it cost me a small fortune to replace them.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So Greeny what are your thoughts on the way the moderator handled the tuff questions.Im not reall impressed by the shush don't say anything they are giving us money attitude.You seem ok to answer any questions and are not really that worried about someone asking about reliability. Do you think the moderators attitude is good for your business.Or do you

Lets get something straight, vendor or not rumors and speculation is not good for anyone. Facts are never going to be censored but vague rumors will be challenged if it does present the opportunity to damage a vendor.

If we didn't any competitor could come in and say negative things to bash the competition. Make sense?

Its just fair this way.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
There are already plenty of laws....Slander for example.

I always keep this in mind before I click "Post".

Last edited:
Top Bottom