Cool Case In The Works

T

toothgirl

Reaction score
Perhaps staining the opaque with a deeper color, or violet on the gingival 1/3? Does Inline have a deep dentine, or opacious dentine type thing? Was the Dr. happy? I bet the patient was. Good job

doug

doug

Reaction score
Al, Your work is absolutely beautiful. I don't think you need to worry about the value of the bridge compared to the natural teeth. A week after it's in the patient is gonna be still so happy it won't matter. The work stands apart from the natural dentition since it's not the same material and doesn't react to light the same way. Keep posting and showing us how it's supposed to be done. I still can't believe Ivoclar hasn't offered you a bag of money to showcase their porcelain.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Now that is very intresting.

So you may have a D2 value but a A2 chroma so you opaque D2 but layer A2.

Al,

Exactly !
When we think about it, light passes through the trans incisal & dentin, hits the opaque and passes back out to the eye of the observer. This has the greatest influence on what we see as the value.

Russ

Al, guess how many opaque shades are in Vita's 3d porcelain ...
Hint........ how many value shade on the 3d guide..
Sooo many shades and chroma levels can be achieved, with so few value opaques ..Seems like there are about 78 shades that can be made out of 3d porcelain.. and ? opaques..
If only zirconia could be made that way to color....then any value issues would be solved ...

Charles

Last edited:
Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Verry nice job Al, the only thing i change is the porcelaine gum line i would bring it down to the canine level and the canine a bit lower than where they are.;)

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"If only zirconia could be made that way to color....then any value issues would be solved ...

Charles"

stain your cores with ceramic stains Charles, then unlimited values. All my zr work is on white cores. can make any value or colour core i want.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
here u say u use incisal 1 , OE1 and OE4 , what u put each of them exactly ? the incisal on the incisal and the OE on mesial and distal ?

Edy here is an example of OE4 on an anterior.
I after the build was finished but not fired I scraped out some areas on the surface to match the laterals and replaced them with OE4 a white incisal.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5a.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5a.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Also here is OE4 on the Height of Contour at the gingival 1/3.
If you want it more sutle use OE3.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5b.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5c.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5b.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5c.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Here is some more use of OE3 and 4 horizontally on the facials of these Hillbilly teeth.
The cracks are all Deep Dentin put in like I showed on another thread. Super fast.

They are a bit light in the mouth compared to the lats but I found if I always error on the light side the patient usually accepts them. If I error even a bit dark or grey its coming back.

OE3 and 4 help to keep the value up where incisal drops it fast.

Thats a cast UCLA abutment that I opaqued and emax crowns.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5d.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5e.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Jl3.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Jl1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Jl2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5d.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_oe5e.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Jl3.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Jl1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Jl2.jpg

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I still can't believe Ivoclar hasn't offered you a bag of money to showcase their porcelain.

Thats intresting, I did have some guy from Ivoclar want me to get some cases for DLP.
There are soooo many techs chomping at the bit to have their 15 minutes of fame. They will do anything to see their name or pics in a magazine and then buy up as many copies as they can.
These companies dont have to pay anybody. And the magazines get thrown away.

It would be a pay cut from producing crowns.
You never really know what guys are really using to produce their work, their Real Production Work, or what they are using to kiss ass or to court the manufactors.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
lovely result!

Thanks, the thing I hear the most.

Hi Dr how did the anterior or those 2 anteriors go?
They were nice, they were a bit light but the patient was happy and we seated them.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Sorry Al....... I think we have the same Ivoclar rep and I keep telling him how awesome you are lol. I probably keep the idea of you teaching a course fresh in their minds without meaning too lol.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I wouldn't marry myself to one company.Stay independant and call the shots.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Sorry Al....... I think we have the same Ivoclar rep and I keep telling him how awesome you are lol. I probably keep the idea of you teaching a course fresh in their minds without meaning too lol.

Ive never seen him, he never comes this far away from the big city.
Talk on the phone every 6 months or once a year. I have a huge bill with Ivoclar for a small lab.

But I probably run sales reps off with my dont bother me Im busy attitude. Mabye its the gun portals on the side of my house ?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thats intresting, I did have some guy from Ivoclar want me to get some cases for DLP.
There are soooo many techs chomping at the bit to have their 15 minutes of fame. They will do anything to see their name or pics in a magazine and then buy up as many copies as they can.
These companies dont have to pay anybody. And the magazines get thrown away.

It would be a pay cut from producing crowns.
You never really know what guys are really using to produce their work, their Real Production Work, or what they are using to kiss ass or to court the manufactors.

Actually Al I think you are correct on some level but I certainly know that when the right exposure/contact you could be very well compensated by Ivoclar.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Ive never seen him, he never comes this far away from the big city.
Talk on the phone every 6 months or once a year. I have a huge bill with Ivoclar for a small lab.

But I probably run sales reps off with my dont bother me Im busy attitude. Mabye its the gun portals on the side of my house ?

Its odd and truthfully your rep is most likely dropping the ball. I know Ivoclars strategy as it relates to their sales reps. If you are doing big numbers they will be in your door once a month. If your reps territory is huge and he has several large labs in it your right he will never knock on your door. You have to be one of their top 20 accounts to really get the service.

There is a reason everyone has shop on-line :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Al Great pics as usual. You are an honest man for posting a pic with a tooth reattached with sticky wax.We can all relate.

That happened to me during my RDT exam,I had to leave a note with the case submission stating the tooth broke after the crown was finished.

:eek:

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al Great pics as usual. You are an honest man for posting a pic with a tooth reattached with sticky wax.We can all relate.

That happened to me during my RDT exam,I had to leave a note with the case submission stating the tooth broke after the crown was finished.

:eek:

That's funny, I blame my wife for all our screw ups. And there's plenty.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
Godly work and even better photography!

Nice work al.

If you dont mind me asking, what camera settings do u use?

Peter

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
its always nice to see AL'S work , i have learn a lot from his pictures,
one question Al... with all those firings have you ever had any gasing problems fro the metal? what metal did you use on this case anyways?

thanks !

I try not to go over 5 bakes for large cases sometimes though I have to do 6.

One thing I found that really helps is to inspect the frame closely for pits after it is sandblasted and grind them out. Sometimes gassing comes from them.
Also sometimes I degass twice if the color is not uniform, That has eliminated most of the gassing problems. I will re sandblast the frame then degass or metal condition it again what ever you want to call lt.