Cool Case In The Works

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I think this case is going to be nice.

9 unit lower bridge. 4 abutments.
The cuspids are rotated and there is not enough room for all 4 anteriors at normal size and straight.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z4_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z5_1.jpg

I struggled with the anterior arrangement so I trimmed some lower wax facings and set them on the wax frame.
Then after it was cast I connected them and made them removable to tweek the frame and let the Dr try it in with the frame so the patient could approve the overlapped teeth.
His other choice is straight little pickets but then we still had the rotated cuspids to deal with.

Everything below the wax teeth forms will be tissue colored porc.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z6_2.jpg

Try in was today. Fit good and in the lab I fit it to the solid model because it really will need to be built on the solid.
The left side is going up hill so it is good to work that out now.

No rests or attachments. Dont know why but patient does not want future ptr.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z7_2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z8_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z9.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z10_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z4_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z5_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z6_2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z7_2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z8_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z9.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z10_1.jpg

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Al, all looks like it is coming together nicely for you on this case.
its nice when the Dr and Tech are on the same page with what can and cant be accomplished .
i cant tell you how many times I have pleaded with some of docs, that there is not enough room to make all the teeth straight, but was told to do it anyway
as always i look forward to seeing the finished product
keep on doing what you are doing- thanks for including all of us on the ride

Greg Amendola MDT

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Al. as always its looking good so far. It appears that there is some space issue on the max arch also, just centrals and canines; is this so? Are the any plans to do the max arch later?:eek:

user name

user name

Reaction score
:hail::D If I ever need work done on my big mouth, Id like you to do it.

Publish a book!!

user name

user name

Reaction score
BTW...Do you do any 'art' besides in the lab?? Paint, sculpt, etc.

D

Daniela

Reaction score
:hail::D If I ever need work done on my big mouth, Id like you to do it.

Publish a book!!

I am so glad I am not the only one thinking that. Great minds think alike :D:D:D

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
Al,

I'm curious how you got to be in your position, especially seeing as how we are in the same area. I have read a little bit..........used to have employees, now work at home with wife, etc.

But do you stick to mainly larger and more specialized cases or do you still frequently do single unit molars? And do you work locally or through mail? And how did you find the right match of dentists to pair with your quality of work?

Risa

Tunajoe

Tunajoe

Reaction score
Impressive Al.

But not as impressive as the nose hairs.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al,

I'm curious how you got to be in your position, especially seeing as how we are in the same area. I have read a little bit..........used to have employees, now work at home with wife, etc.

But do you stick to mainly larger and more specialized cases or do you still frequently do single unit molars? And do you work locally or through mail? And how did you find the right match of dentists to pair with your quality of work?

Risa

Risa and Danelia,
Two years ago after I bought my new camera I decided I would take at least 2 or 3 cases a week (singles or multiple units) and try to make show peices of them. I photograph them and study the pics and try to improve the next week.
I have taken alot of time without pay to go to offices to see cases in the mouth and photograph them.
I photodocument all larger cases.

I just bought a new computer and spent the last month cleaning up and organinzing and putting pics from that puter on disks. I ended up deleating over 2,500 pics of cases that I used to think were so nice but now I think are terrible. The contours the polish, color etc.

I strive to make crowns that are undetectable by eye in the mouth and as close as possible under the macro lens. But that is very hard.

I study the work and techniques of international techs and try my best to chase after them and incorperate their techniques.

I dont do it for the money because I figure if you strive to do outstanding work first, then the money will follow. And it has.

As far as getting Drs. I send them pics of cases. The case on this thread I have sent these same pics of the progress to 4 different Drs in other states.
Drs that I know lecture or aspire to.

There are Drs out there that want photoquality work. But it takes alot of time to produce it and you really have to love doing it and be willing to take on really tedious stuff. Especially you need to blow off rejection and failures keep moving.

You really need to develop vision, like when you walk into a trashed house and you can see in your minds eye how it would look remodeled and decorated.

Yes Risa I do a ton of bread and butta stuff, a ton of press and stain emax but my heart is really in cases like the one on this thread.
Its as good or better than sex to me and Drs can sense your passion or lack of it for what you do for them.

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Risa and Danelia,
Two years ago after I bought my new camera I decided I would take at least 2 or 3 cases a week (singles or multiple units) and try to make show peices of them. I photograph them and study the pics and try to improve the next week.
I have taken alot of time without pay to go to offices to see cases in the mouth and photograph them.
I photodocument all larger cases.

I just bought a new computer and spent the last month cleaning up and organinzing and putting pics from that puter on disks. I ended up deleating over 2,500 pics of cases that I used to think were so nice but now I think are terrible. The contours the polish, color etc.

I strive to make crowns that are undetectable by eye in the mouth and as close as possible under the macro lens. But that is very hard.

I study the work and techniques of international techs and try my best to chase after them and incorperate their techniques.

I dont do it for the money because I figure if you strive to do outstanding work first, then the money will follow. And it has.

As far as getting Drs. I send them pics of cases. The case on this thread I have sent these same pics of the progress to 4 different Drs in other states.
Drs that I know lecture or aspire to.

There are Drs out there that want photoquality work. But it takes alot of time to produce it and you really have to love doing it and be willing to take on really tedious stuff. Especially you need to blow off rejection and failures keep moving.

You really need to develop vision, like when you walk into a trashed house and you can see in your minds eye how it would look remodeled and decorated.

Yes Risa I do a ton of bread and butta stuff, a ton of press and stain emax but my heart is really in cases like the one on this thread.
Its as good or better than sex to me and Drs can sense your passion or lack of it for what you do for them.

Al,

Your journey mimics many who admire your efforts! I have seen a wonderful transition in your work this past year..... all good! There is no quick way to reach your level, only dedication! You have given great advice with sharing your journey. Keep the torch lit!!!
Russ

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thanks Russ, you are acually one of the world class techs that I chase after along with guys like Jan Holger Bellmann, Manuel Oliver Castillo, Femi Housein and others that acually share how they get the results they do not just post pretty pics.

When I say chase I mean the high standards you all set. Some of those guys put up cases that to date I have not been able to duplicate and I have tried very hard but with time mabey.

I think it is important for young techs to learn everything possible from men like you, from your posts and courses while you are still here and producing, so all your hard work is passed down to the next generation.

Mabey give hope to all us little guys competing against robots and the large Glidewell type labs.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Al. Thanks for sharing and being so grounded, its with great admiration and anticipation that I always look forward to your posts and I've been at it since '82.

To our young techs I'll say this, our industry is full of the so called ceramists, and it attracts those to that arena with hopes of getting rich and fame. Being a ceramist is not just the mechanics of porcelain almost anyone can do that. Its about the details; in color, in form, in function and so on. The older techs on here can attest to this, one had to pay their dues going through the lab, learning all the steps involved in the final product and in the end you're rewarded with being a ceramist. That knowledge gained is invaluable because anyone can do pretty porcelain, but doing pretty porcelain with longevity is different. The knowledge of materials, substructure design, casting techniques etc. cannot be ignored in your quest to become a ceramist. I'm certain it's the passion that drives most of us to improve and become better, those who share on here didn't achieve this overnight but more so through the night burning the midnight oil. Many tout of the sacrifices made, of time lost with family and loved ones, friends vacations and so on.

So if you really want to achieve this level do your homework, burn the midnight oil, always, always, always I can't stress that enough strive to do better. Read, attend training, practice, find a mentor. With that said understand their time is valuable; dont waste it. I really didn't expect to write this, it was just supposed to be a simple reply,,,,These are a few thoughts I wanted to share, insight, and hopefully some wisdom. In the end it takes TALENT combined with a lot of dedication.

Sorry for the rant.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
When I say chase I mean the high standards you all set. Some of those guys put up cases that to date I have not been able to duplicate and I have tried very hard but with time mabey.

I am sure others here at DLN, and specifically me, are chasing YOU, Al !
Thank you for your high standards and dedication.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I am sure others here at DLN, and specifically me, are chasing YOU, Al !
Thank you for your high standards and dedication.

I am one.Every time I consider posting a pic, Al posts another gem and I go back to the drawing board.

However I have been learning at an exponential rate here and I just received a call from a new Dr who wants to send me more cases after placing 2 Emax crowns I did for him .

Thanks Al...and Jon( for the photography lessons)

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
We can't get enough of you and your work Al.
Chapeau bas.

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
It seems there is a lot of gloom and doom insight into the future of the industry that many long-time techs project based on what they've seen. It is refreshing to get a glimpse of the passion that keeps the flame alive.

Al, It sounds like you've had a fascinating journey in this feild. I second the motion that someone mentioned earlier that you should publish a book with all the excellent photographic documentation you have. Its almost a shame that you've gotten rid of some of what you look back on as no longer on par with your standards - because it would be great to get to see that kind of time-line progression and how and what you have improved over the years. It would be a great learning tool for someone like me. (of course 2,500 pics would make for an awfully heavy book)

I can sympathize with the "trashed house" analogy - I'm now on my second - and this one will be great!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Opaque A35 on the connections and gin A2 rest.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z14_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z15.jpg

First bake, dentin only

A35 dentin & A3 dentin

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z16_1.jpg

A2 dentin

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z17_1.jpg

A1 dentin

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z18_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z19.jpg

Dentin bake only fired.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z20_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z21_1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z14_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z15.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z16_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z17_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z18_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z19.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z20_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z21_1.jpg

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thin the incisal edges.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z22.jpg

Trans Incisal 1

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z23.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z24.jpg

2nd Bake fired and ready for stain to be applied and set.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z25.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z26.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z22.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z23.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z24.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z25.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z26.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
The internal staining is done and ready for the 3rd and final tooth form build and bake.

Trans incisal 1 OE1 and OE4

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z27.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z28.jpg

Ready for 4th bake. Ist tissue and teeth form touch ups.

Gin 4 and G4/OE4 mixed 50/50

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z29.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z30.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z31.jpg

Ready for the 5th and final build.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z32.jpg

Ok the 5th and final bake.
Now the work is done and it is ready to be slicked up and glazed.
Till now I have done minimal grinding. Only thining the edges after the first bake and adjusting the occlusion.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z33.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z27.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z28.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z29.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z30.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z31.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z32.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z33.jpg