CAM newbie (Versamill, dentmill, and PMMA)

Z

zellyen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a complete novice when it comes to milling. I recently decided to volunteer at a university where they own a versamill. They want to get it up and running (as no one utilizes it!). Their milling software is Dentmill. Things are now up and running, however, I am running into a few issues.

When I try to mill PMMA provisionals (off of a scan of the prep),it always comes out loose (overmilled for some reason). Even when I minimize the cement spacer in exocad, it does not appear to help.

For anyone who owns the same hardware/software, is there a setting that I need to play around with? Is there an inherent setting for PMMA material?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you should probably get in contact with @brayks or @al morad at axsys. Dentmill was discontinued eons ago. dentmill 2015 was the last dental software publication.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a complete novice when it comes to milling. I recently decided to volunteer at a university where they own a versamill. They want to get it up and running (as no one utilizes it!). Their milling software is Dentmill. Things are now up and running, however, I am running into a few issues.

When I try to mill PMMA provisionals (off of a scan of the prep),it always comes out loose (overmilled for some reason). Even when I minimize the cement spacer in exocad, it does not appear to help.

For anyone who owns the same hardware/software, is there a setting that I need to play around with? Is there an inherent setting for PMMA material?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Spindle rpm, feed rates (ie cutting speed),number of flutes, tool diameter...etc. etc. all relate to each other. Changing one variable requires re-calculating the others. There are formulas to do that, when milling strategies are put together. Ask Steve from Axsys ( @brayks ),he could explain better than I can ;)

you should probably get in contact with @brayks or @al morad at axsys. Dentmill was discontinued eons ago. dentmill 2015 was the last dental software publication.

For sure.
Please send me a message with your contact info (school name, your name, phone number and email address) and we will follow-up to get you sorted.
Best
Steve

Z

zellyen

Reaction score
cannot seem to send a direct message. Do I have to have a certain post count or something?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
cannot seem to send a direct message. Do I have to have a certain post count or something?
Not sue why. Please send me an email with your information and I will see you are contacted.
my email address is: [email protected].
5 posts minimum are required to post pictures or send private messsages. Keeps an uncouth sales weasel types from pming hundreds of users on first arriving.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Perhaps you have Dentmill treating the PMMA as if it were Zirconia and applying an enlargement factor?

Top Bottom