Broken Abutment

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
The dentist calls and tells me that an implant abutment from Straumann broke in the patients mouth. The cemented pfm crown with most of the abutment broke off. The patient said that the crown suddenly came out and everything was fine before that happened. I'm thinking the screw must have came loose and every time the patient chewed, he stressed the abutment until it finally broke. Any ideas how this could have happened? This case was done by another lab and now I'm making a new pfm crown for it. Sorry about the low quality camera phone pictures.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387421966299.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387421966299.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387421978687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387421978687.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 121
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387421988103.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387421988103.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 118
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387421997272.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387421997272.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 121
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387422005494.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387422005494.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 121
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I had an astra SCREW RET. unit that was cast off a UCLA fracture almost exactly like this. This lady has a massive bite and has fractured everything that has been put to place. We now have mill TI custom abutments with FCZ with an access hole to make it screw retained so far so good.

Just when you think you have things figured out something comes along where you scratch you head. In my case it was right at the juncture of the morse taper so I know for a fact my alloy joint to the NON OX gold interface did not fail. I contacted ASTRA with pictures and they said they would be back in touch and no one has called back. I ate the remake but its things like this that just make you want to throw your hands up and say F it.

Sorry I had no real useful info.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Your story was interesting, so no worries about the lack of info. I don't expect to get a clear answer on how this abutment broke, anyway. The dentist was totally dumbfounded about this and I'm still scratching my head.

G

Gabriel

Reaction score
I had two abutments that broke, one was Mis, the second one was Nobel. Both cases came from the same laboratory, I'm not sure if they both came from the same doctor, but just as John said, I don't know what happened... I only got to see the broken Mis abutment, and the fracture was right where the hex started, it was clean broken... Both abutments were originals. I still don't know what is the cause...

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
That is not a stock Straumann abutment....as to what it is...who knows

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
That is not a stock Straumann abutment....as to what it is...who knows
What makes you say that? I don't know if it is, but that's what I was told it was.

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
I use Straumann abutments all the time and that is not one of there abutments...I would call your Straumann Rep, but I am sure that it is not a Straumann Abutment. If it was they would guarentee the abutment, so call them.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Good idea to ask DDS for the label so you can order replacement - can know for sure
whether it was original Straumann or clone - if the DDS can produce it as a copy
of the dental chart . . .
LCM

D

donnypros

Reaction score
It's a synocta cemented abutment stock Straumann part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Then you should be able to fill up that 2 page form and submit for replacement . . .
let us know if they would cover the lab replacement also.
LCM

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
The dentist ended up paying out of his own pocket. I charged as if it was a new case and got paid for it. I told him to contact Straumann, but I don't know if anything has happened.

Last edited: