Bonding braces to Emax

DA2005

DA2005

Reaction score
I have a general dentist with an inhouse Ortho doctor and has been trying unsuccessfully to bond braces to a patients Emax restorations. Ivoclar suggested bonding them on with composite like a porcelain repair but did say it would compromise the crowns upon removal any other suggestions out there?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I am going through some ortho work and have an emax veneer on the UR1 the surgeon had to sandblast the surface to get some mechanical retention then etched it as well, can't beat a mouth full of sand. Don't know if this helps but chances are your guys don't want to damage the restoration, Nothing going to bond to a glazed surface.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Why not just a 20 sec. etch with 5% hydrofluoric? Bond should be no problem. Surface can be repolished.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Why not just a 20 sec. etch with 5% hydrofluoric? Bond should be no problem. Surface can be repolished.

The glaze I belive is feldspathic, that time might be a little short but I agree sandblasting might be a bit aggressive.

DA2005

DA2005

Reaction score
I believe the Emax was added while patient was already in braces so had we known we could have prepped the surface with our lab etch which is stronger than their etch I believe? They have tried their etch with no success, Our etch says its poisonous and should not be used orally. They obviously could move to Invisalign if needed but I think they are trying to save time and keep costs down. Thanks for the feedback!