Best scanner/milling system available, price notwithstanding

R

Rickrag

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am just now entering the lab based arena of scanning and milling hardware. I am a digital dentist having used the Cerec 3D and E4D systems in my practice for the last 10 years. I own both. There are limitations to these systems and I would like to know if the lab based systems overcome the shortcomings of the intraoral scanning/milling systems available. What in your opinion(s) is the best scanner and mill available today if price were no object (less than $250K)? PS the E4D and Cerec MCXL systems are for sale.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Doctor, there are many lab systems to choose from in unlimited price ranges. To help in choosing a system, we need to better understand what you think are your limitations and shortcomings with your systems. What materials are you looking to mill. Are you really willing to spend up to 250k, is space limited, looking for a tabletop mill? Do you want to mill FCZ and sinter inhouse ? mill mostly emax ? mill implants and bars ? Are you looking to set up an inhouse lab for higher production ? I would also wait to see what new systems will be released at IDS.

Last edited:
biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Save yourself some time and money. Find a lab that you can trust and work as a team.

R

Rickrag

Reaction score
Save yourself some time and money. Find a lab that you can trust and work as a team.

I have started an in house commercial lab with 4 benches and am looking for one or two techs to man this facility. It is a new venture to provide high quality lab services for implant supported full arch prostheses not only to myself but to other highly discerning implant dentists and prosthodontists as well as restorative services to others willing to pay for quality work. The team of which you speak will be highly skilled lab techs working not only for me but other docs. There is an equity position available for the right person.
The primary materials would be zirconia for full arch cases as well as bridges and single units. Obviously sintering in house is required and a sintering oven is needed. Opinions on these are welcome as well. We also press quite a few restorations and Emax is also used extensively in my practice for single units both pressed and milled. We do a lot of cut back e max as well. Custom milled titanium and zirconium abutments would be a given. The need for titanium bars as well as CoCr bars will be diminishing in time as Zirconia becomes more mainstream IMHO. I don't think it would be necessary for us to be able to wet mill titanium or chrome as yet as they can be outsourced. I don't think it is necessary to spend 250K either, I just threw that number out there to get all opinions for even the really expensive stuff simply as a means for comparison. The lab is approximately 900 square feet so a bench top type mill would seem to be the best fit. the 3Shape scanners are popular as is the Roland line of products. There is the Zirkonzahn system which I have seen and used and came away quite impressed with its capability. It does however require 95 mm pucks which is not the industry standard. I'm told that aftermarket pucks are available for the Zirkonzahn but I haven't seen them. Someone mentioned that there are other 5 axis mills that are more precise and cheaper. Which ones are they and can they mill a full arch monolithic screw retained zirconia bridge accurately? Just a few things to consider as it relates to the question.:)

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
imes-icore + dekema (or mihm vogt furnace).

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
Are you at midwinter in Chicago this year? We are the main imes-icore dealers in North America and also offer dekema, thermostar and mihm vogt furnaces, intraoral scanners, material, and lab scanners(medit with exocad or 3shape). Since we offer 8 milling options for under 250k we can show you all of the capabilities vs. cost at a wide range of price points. We have options to mill zirconia, wax, titanium, NP, glass-ceramics and resins.

R

Rickrag

Reaction score
I'll be there (at the LMT Lab Day this weekend) and I'll make it a point to come by your booth. What's the name of your business so I'll know where to come?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
at that prices range, you might want to check out Datron D5

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
I'll be there (at the LMT Lab Day this weekend) and I'll make it a point to come by your booth. What's the name of your business so I'll know where to come?
My business is DAL- DT technologies.
We will be at booth 303, suite 3055, not sure where in McCormick Place, CadCam 101 lectures. Plus box seat for the bulls vs heat(may be tougher to meet there) just had to throw it out:)

A

Art&Dental

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me something about DCS system. Anything. Is it open system does it accept stl. Etc.
please it is important to me.
Thanks

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
Hi WCI which Imetric scanner you have?

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me something about DCS system. Anything. Is it open system does it accept stl. Etc.
please it is important to me.
Thanks

THe Vario DC5 from Zubler USA is open and can take files from any scanner.

Top Bottom