Best place to buy a 3shape scanner??

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Big Guy, this is Tommy with CMC in Arvada CO. We are a 3Shape distributor. We do sell the 3Shape (Open System) and we have pretty good support for Design & Settings as long as you are send your units to us. I dont know of anyone that would support you on the software side if you are sending to a different milling center. Give me a call and I will send you a quote for the 3Shape. We do training here, 3 days, and we are just north of Denver, so there is a lot to do and see on your time off.

Only pretty good support? CadBlu will support your 3Shape scanner/software no matter where you send your files. Excellent support also, they know their stuff.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
At the time I planned to buy a 3shape, my plan was to go to 3shape and get the free training before the scanner comes,,, takes weeks to get one. Once your scanner comes in, the company you buy from will train you which will make the high learning curve much easier.

3Shape is building their new headquarters right down the street from my lab!!!!!!!!!! Yee Haw!

gatorteeth87

gatorteeth87

Reaction score
We bought our 3shape from CAP and couldn't be any happier with their support--and we've needed a LOT of support due to scanner/computer malfunctioning. Even if you could purchase directly from 3shape, I would strongly discourage anyone from doing it. 3shape made it very clear to me on the phone that customer service is not part of their business model.

According to 3shape, this USB sparking http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86202104/3shapesparks.mp4 is completely normal. The person I spoke to told me that I was just having "buyers remorse." BTW- shortly after this occurred, computer motherboard failed. Who knows what broke what, but CAP sent me a loaner scanner and a loaner computer to cover my butt.

As far as training goes, I don't think it's really necessary. If you are pretty handy with a computer, you will figure this software out in a jiff.

-Brad

R

Ryan

Reaction score
CAP or CADBLU would be my 2 suggestions....

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
3Shape is building their new headquarters right down the street from my lab!!!!!!!!!! Yee Haw!

Where Mark? Is it distribution? Is it a repair facility? Is it R&D? I need to get over there and get to know who I need to know. Seems odd that as high a cost to do business in CA that they choose here.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Where Mark? Is it distribution? Is it a repair facility? Is it R&D? I need to get over there and get to know who I need to know. Seems odd that as high a cost to do business in CA that they choose here.

It's probably going to be just like their NJ office, some support and sales. Probably nothing much to see..have you seen their NJ office?????? :rolleyes:

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
We bought our 3shape from CAP and couldn't be any happier with their support--and we've needed a LOT of support due to scanner/computer malfunctioning. Even if you could purchase directly from 3shape, I would strongly discourage anyone from doing it. 3shape made it very clear to me on the phone that customer service is not part of their business model.

According to 3shape, this USB sparking http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86202104/3shapesparks.mp4 is completely normal. The person I spoke to told me that I was just having "buyers remorse." BTW- shortly after this occurred, computer motherboard failed. Who knows what broke what, but CAP sent me a loaner scanner and a loaner computer to cover my butt.

As far as training goes, I don't think it's really necessary. If you are pretty handy with a computer, you will figure this software out in a jiff.

-Brad

WTF. They told you that's normal? How did you even find out that it would spark like that? Lick it and maybe you can get some money from 3Shape, hehe.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

I believe it is going to be all of the above John. As you know, a lot of their R&D is done right in Glidewell's lab. The office will be in Rancho Cucamonga, sometime this winter I was told. If you aren't manufacturing or have a big staff, a lot of people are happy to work in California...especially after you have lived in Denmark!

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Great thread guys- thanks to all of you for sharing your information! It's just my wife and i for now and I'm on the edge of the cliff ready to invest in a scanner.;)

C

charles007

Reaction score
Great thread guys- thanks to all of you for sharing your information! It's just my wife and i for now and I'm on the edge of the cliff ready to invest in a scanner.;)

Scott, I'm a mom & pop lab also... if you think you will buy a mill later on, or the years to come, buy a scanner from that same company that sells mills.. Make sure the scanner is Open, and get referrals from labs that bought scanners there.... your buying support.. There is very little difference in prices in 3shape, but there is a huge difference in support.. Plus you have scanners with Exocad which are much cheaper for the smaller lab....... another cliff.

Charles.

A

ArtisticDan

Reaction score
We have bought 2 scanners through Wieland, and would buy another from them when we need it. I have worked with Wieland since 2008 just before Axel and co took off to start their own thing. Although 2009-2010 was a bumpy time while the company filled the void, I cannot say anything negative about the company since Mike took over as our sales rep. Paul, Jay and Chris have done a great job of keeping us going and trouble shooting any issues that arise with the system. I have only had a chance to speak with Stan Maragos a couple times since he took over as big man, but he seems like he is determined to make Wieland a leader through their customer service.

Long story short, I have nothing bad to say about any distributor, but my money is going Wieland's way when we need to expand again.

D

dentcre

Reaction score

2 person operation here also,,,it was a no brainer to get the 3shape, specially now that you can do pfm copings also.

3ShapeSupportGuy

Reaction score

According to 3shape, this USB sparking Welcome to nginx! is completely normal. The person I spoke to told me that I was just having "buyers remorse." BTW- shortly after this occurred, computer motherboard failed. Who knows what broke what, but CAP sent me a loaner scanner and a loaner computer to cover my butt.

-Brad

Hi all,
I just read this interesting thread and would like to add a few comments regarding 3Shape and our offerings.

3Shape and Customer Service
First, I would like to emphasize that Customer Service is indeed a very big part of the 3Shape business model.

3Shape believes that the best type of support is provided by maintaining a local support capacity to cope efficiently with factors such as customary opening hours, communicating in local language, and in tune with local business etiquette, enabling on-site support, and more. That is why we invest so much in developing our extensive first-line support network of experts through our local distributors. To strengthen this our 3Shape Trainers work continuously with our distribution partners to ensure they can give the best possible support. CAP, along with our other resellers and partners, have the technical competencies and expertise to handle these types of cases when it comes to 3Shape products.

To back-up this first-line support network, 3Shape's own Team of 30 Technical Supporters worldwide stand ready to assist distributors with any special hardware or software support issues.

Our program for Support, Training and annual Software Updates is called “3Shape LAB Care”. It’s a package you automatically get when purchasing a 3Shape scanner. The newest addition to the package is our 3Shape Webinar program that help technicians get the most out of their system. You can read more about the webinars here (a dedicated US webinar program will be introduced in Q4, 2012).

I apologize for the misunderstandings. We are investigating this specific case internally to ensure that such misunderstandings will not occur again.

Regarding the "sparking PC" Issue
First of all, I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your 3Shape Scanner. I have talked to 3Shape US, Customer Support and they informed me that they are currently looking into the specific case together with CAP. In addition to working with CAP or other partners, if you need further assistance please feel free to contact 3Shape Customer Support directly on +1 908 867 0149 (Meisha Fogg).

I have also discussed the "sparking PC" issue with our 3Shape Scanner Development team. Here is a brief summary of the comments and recommendations:

• It is important to emphasize, that 3Shape scanners fulfill all relevant standards for electrical safety and are UL-certified accordingly.
• The spark effect is not specific to 3Shape hardware, and this could possibly be observed with any peripheral equipment connected to mains using non-grounded cables. Our Safety and Setup Guides specifically instruct the user to use grounded cables.
• Users with a mix of industrial and office electrical equipment should have special attention to their electrical setup due to the difference in nature of office and industrial installations.
• We recommend that you always turn the equipment power off when moving or changing cables.

I hope this clarifies any questions.

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
So who at 3Shape said the sparking was 'normal' then and why isn't the scanner already in their hands for repair????

3ShapeSupportGuy

Reaction score
So who at 3Shape said the sparking was 'normal' then and why isn't the scanner already in their hands for repair????

We are doing an investigation as to who and why it was said the sparking was "normal". As far as the customer's scanner, CAP has done an outstanding job in taking care of the customer's issues, I will leave that for CAP to discuss should they choose to. Here at 3Shape we are focused on providing our partners/re-sellers with the best possible training to handle these matters and CAP as well as our other partners are taking full advantage of that training to handle matters such as this.

robnazzal

robnazzal

Reaction score

When Brad brought this issue to our attention, we went through a series of steps to troubleshoot the problem. We had never seen sparking from any of the other scanners we utilize or have supported before. Through our discussions with Brad, he had mentioned that his area had major thunderstorms the night before this problem had occurred. He also mentioned that their Jensen mill had a fried the motherboard at the same time that this was happening. Both the 3Shape scanner and the mill were hooked up to the 3Shape PC. Then, the computer's motherboard went out too.

We sent Brad a loaner scanner and PC, and he sent us his scanner so we could further investigate. When his scanner arrived at CAP, it was not sparking at all, and performed just like the four scanners we are running in production in our milling center now.

At this point, we are thinking that the lightning may have fried some components in his mill and PC. Both the mill and the scanner were connected to the same PC via USB. Since the PC and mill had compromised components, and all these systems were connected together, it's difficult to identify an exact root cause of the sparking, but I believe that these fried components contributed to the sparking. At this point, the 3Shape scanner is the only original system amount the three that survived and is currently working properly.

Brad currently has his original scanner back in operation now and is successfully scanning production cases with it. He has also put his repaired mill on a separate PC from the 3Shape PC, which is always a good practice for minimizing production risk and resource contention.

Brad, I am happy that you are back up and running. You are a gentleman, and I appreciate your patience through this experience.